Found a M44

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by blinddog »

I went to the gun show here in Roseburg and milled around a bit. NO P-64 to be seen. But, I did find a nice M-44. I got it for $100.00. Is that a good price? It is a 1945 model and has not been fired and all serial numbers match, from barrel to butt Plate. Sorry for the crummy pics. I will post better ones when I refinish it. ::)

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Found a M44

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

very nice
you have to pay a lot more at gun show down here

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by blinddog »

Thanks Norm, I was pretty doggone happy to pick this one up. I wanted one a little older, but, this was the only one at the entire gun show that wasn't falling apart. The same guy I bought this one from had the other. I looked at all the vendors booths and there were no P-64 or PA-63's around. lots or good German stuff all the way from medals buttons etc. to Mausers galore. They were out of my meger budget though. :) :)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by garry »

Blinddog, nice one ! I paid $129 for my M44 at a gun show, I just got a 91/30 for $123 otd. It is in "ok" shape. I shot it yesterday and it sprayed mud for 40ft. every direction . heehee Man these are a steal at under $150. on the other hand~~~ i see where they are going for $59 online at http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/rifles ... th/209_219
if you know a dealer with low transfer fees, you can have a heck of a deal !! G
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by blinddog »

Garry. you got some good deals yourself. These old rifles are fun to work with and a lot of fun to shoot.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Found a M44

Post by nbender »

A sporting goods store here near Seattle has these on sale for $89. With taxes it'll run you close to $100.
mikeh1

Found a M44

Post by mikeh1 »

That is a nice specimen, and a great price, rifles made during the war years are usually not as clean looking as those made pre- or post-war. Looks like that one was safely put away. My M44 is my favorite to shoot, especially at night, got to love that muzzle blast!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by grayfox »

Nice one :) They run about 99.95 here before taxs (9 1/2) & 10.00 TBI. I have 7 altogether, love em. ;D
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by blinddog »

Well, I have it taken apart now. When I get through redoing it I will send pics. This one is still full of cosmoline even inside the bolt. Gonna be fun! I guess a hundred bucks wasn't too much to pay then. ;D
weetabix

Found a M44

Post by weetabix »

The gunshow M-44's hereabouts run $110, so you got a fine price.

Anybody have any great ways to remove cosmo? I recently got a 91/30 that was full of cosmo. I've cleaned the metal pretty thoroughly, but I'm not averse to doing it a few more times before I shoot it.

How about for getting the cosmo out of the wood if you don't have a long oven? ;D
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by trent »

apparently there are 1000's of ways to remove cosmoline (just about as many as there are ways to remove corrosive salts left by ammo). we have some pretty experienced people here so I believe you'll get a good answer (unlike other places where people tell you about how mixing shaved walrus hair with rain water in a bucket of dehydrated milk will clean your cosmoline as well as help your libido 8-) )
Last edited by trent on February 10th, 2008, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by blinddog »

I use good ole brake cleaner to remove the cosmo. Spray it on and watch it drip off. If you have parts that can be boiled then tha a good way to go. After you get all of the cosmo out then lub it with some good gun oil or 10w 40, I think thats what Norm uses. I use a high grade rem oil and I have had no problems. Don't use carb cleaner though because it doesn't clean very well and it will leave a thin coating that is not what you really want. Good luck!
fattie

Found a M44

Post by fattie »

ive got a m44 also , bought it a few years ago at the gun shop next to my house for 120. i take it hunting and its a great rifle.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Found a M44

Post by normsutton »

weetabix

there are many ways to clean Cosmoline from a gun of rifle pick one that suit's you

here's some ways

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4628.0

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Found a M44

Post by garry »

As many times as this question is asked ~ someone should open a "Cosmoline-'O' -Mat , type of cleaning service. Just drop it off and pick it up! Whatever Norm uses looks like it does a fantastic job. That Enfield is a Complete Make-Over. G