Odd observance at gun show

Info, pictures, advice...
reprisejim

Post by reprisejim »

It has been in the past that the Makarov has been higher priced than the P-64's at gun shows. At a recent show, I noted 3 East Germans for $350 while the P-64 (saw only 1) went for $375!! I had two thoughts...
1) Buy the EG Makarovs (I didn't)
2) Buy all the P-64's that I can at MCS Firearms (mcsfirearms.com) for $165 and save them as they are becoming an excellent investment! (I haven't)

Why I haven't acted? I really like the P-64 over the Makarov and I don't think $350 is that great of deal considering my love of the P-64. If I did purchase a bunch of P-64's, I wouldn't ever sell them...
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Somebody laid out $375 clams for a P-64?!? Or was that somebodys pipe dream asking price?
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

IMHO,

Even asking that amount of money for a P-64 is a bit much.

I love mine too....just ordered a 1968 still in cosmoline, but WOW!

I still don't think that it is time to buy a case of them and sit on it, but maybe I'm wrong.......

I paid $150 for my first, $169 for my second, and $170 for my third. I would not go over that for another, unless it was a 1964!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
gotmak

Post by gotmak »

I've heard of some people down close to the Texas\ Mexico border dropping big wads of, questionable origins, $$$ for guns like that. Minn is a bit farther North, but this price resembles the price of a "RARE" matte Nickle commercial IJ70 17A , I think, Makarov listed for the starting price of $595. This has been listed for several months, probably approaching a year. Pipe dreams, maybe, Bulldog tenacity, perhaps, but what do you call the person who pays these prices?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I was at a gun shop in NH today and saw a P64 listed for $250. It was in great shape w/2 mags but still that proce was too high!

He also had a cool looking Helwan (Egyptian licensed copy of a Beretta) for $175!! I wish it was MA compliant, I'd ship that to an FFL in-state just as a plinker. I've heard they are decent shooters.

Prices are crazy...as more people find out about the 9x18 round and the various pistols that shoot it....prices will continue to get more crazy until no more are imported...then watch the fun!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

So true carguy, my first P-64 back in '06 I got for $135 OTD at a local dealer, went back a month later and he had two more, I and got em both for that same price, still have one of them, my other one cost me $160 OTD at a show in Evansville spring of '07, now look at em...... :'(

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Never found out if that was an asking price or a paid price in reprisejim story.
Last edited by nbender on January 24th, 2008, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Wow!! I was thinking about trading my '68 but after reading the posts I think I will hold on to it.
reprisejim

Post by reprisejim »

It was the asking price only, and probably will be the asking price for some time. It was a fairly large show and it was the only P-64 there, I was very disapointed. At other recent shows I have seen them for $275.00.

Perhaps just a quirk as I was in search of a Kimber CDP II Ultra. There were only 3 Kimbers at the show. Unfortunately for me, no ultra.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with the KImber CDP Ultra? It feels really nice in hand but I have not shot it. With the price tag at over 1K, I also have no friends with the gun! I am really happy with the P-64 generally but had to ask myself how effective the 9x18 round would be with a foe with full winter gear on. The .45 makes me feel a little fuzzier about that.
gotmak

Post by gotmak »

... With the price tag at over 1K, I also have no friends with the gun! I am really happy with the P-64 generally but had to ask myself how effective the 9x18 round would be with a foe with full winter gear on. The .45 makes me feel a little fuzzier about that.
A lot fuzzier at over $1,000. ;D I figure a BG getting hit with several 9X18's will be a sufficient... "GET OFF ME!" :D If I got a 1911 I would want it to be a Kimber also. They do feel nice in hand. 8-)
reprisejim

Post by reprisejim »

I worry about the penetration of the 9x18 through say a insulated leather coat, the sweathshirt below, etc...

I would be certain of the punch of the .45. Actually, perhaps the .40 is a better choice? I have a .40 but it is a full size and not good for CCW. SO perhaps I should ask; .40 or .45???
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I would be certain of the punch of the .45. Actually, perhaps the .40 is a better choice? I have a .40 but it is a full size and not good for CCW. SO perhaps I should ask; .40 or .45???
ahh boy, here we go! This is bound to stir up controversy!

IMHO,

I will likely never own a .40 cal handgun. I own 9mm, .45, and 9x18....but no .40's. I have nothing against the round, I'm just from the school of thought that I either want:

a LOT of a LITTLE firepower (9mm)

or

a LITTLE of a LOT of firepower (.45acp)

So, for me....it's kinda pointless to just have one more caliber.

HOWEVER,

A good friend of mine who is a non-gun person has actually decided that he and his wife would like to get a handgun for home defense, and to carry while traveling (of course to states that reciprocate our CCW permit). He told me that although money is always an object, that they only planned on buying one gun.....and wanted a nice one so they don't mind to pay for a "nice one".

My advice was to go to our local range and test fire both the HK USP Compact and Sig 229 in .40 cal. I do think that it is a great balance for a one gun guy....just not my bag.
Last edited by volfandan on January 27th, 2008, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reprisejim

Post by reprisejim »

Oh crap!!! I didn't mean to start another caliber war!!! What the &*^% was I thinkin!!! I apologize.

PLEASE DO NOT START A CALIBER WAR!!! I am satisfied with my decision to purchase a .45 and am doing so today. None of your input will be used to determine my choice so don't bother. If anyone posts a reply after this one, it better not include anything about caliber. If I see that it does, well , I'll send the ghosts of Mr. Colt, Mr. Browning, and Mr. Winchester to haunt you till the end of your days! What the heck, I'll even send the ghost of Mr. Makarov!
slackone

Post by slackone »

.45 IS TEH SUX! 9MM RULZE!

(Waits for Colt, Browning, Winchester, and Makarov to show up. I mean...how cool would that be? Even with all the clanking chains and "BRAINS" chanting?)

Seriously...I'm a caliber tier-ist.

9x18 for hide-out guns (like my appendix-carry P64)
9mm for Compact guns (like my Star BM)
.40 for "service"-sized guns, like the Taurus 24/7 or Springer XD.
.45 for full-sized guns (like the 1911s I'm currently lusting after).

I guess I'm just a big believer in a caliber appropriate for the size of the pistol...
dirtyharry

Post by dirtyharry »

No, this is not isolated:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 669&page=1

I started predicting the pricing increase a while back. Supply has dried up.

dirtyharry