Casting bullets

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Casting bullets

Post by kempin »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here cast bullets for their p-64?

I've been hand loading mine for several years now, and I just got set up in bullet casting. I've got the LEE 9x18 mold and dropped a few test bullets from it while I was casting for my 45acp. Kind of looking forward to loading those shiny silver tips.

I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion.

(By the way, I'm the guy who thinks every p-64 owner should load his own. I haven't been on that soapbox in a while, but I'm always happy to try and win you over.)

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
butch50

Casting bullets

Post by butch50 »

Do cast bullets cause the barrel to lead up? If so, how do you remove it?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Casting bullets

Post by normsutton »

Kempin

glade to see you back

I think I'm using the same mold , with the lead alloy I use, it weigh's out to 100.9 grn's
and that's what I carry and shoot in my all of my 9 x 18 guns , I do size it with a lyman lube & sizer die to .363 the load I use is 4 grn's of W231

butch50
at the velocity of a 9x18 leading shouldn't be a problem even in a CZ-82

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Casting bullets

Post by trent »

I thought it was a no no to use over 95 grains, or is that different since yours are not jacketed
volfandan

Casting bullets

Post by volfandan »

Trent,

I've heard the same....but I think the "no heavier than 95 gr." rule was just for the alloy frame PA-63
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Casting bullets

Post by normsutton »

this is true with factory loads I think the main reason for this rule is that some manufactures when they started going over 95 grn the dia. of the bullet was .364 to .365 and I think they didn't lighten the powder charge to keep to pressure down

I shoot this load in all my 9x18's the powder charge is a middle of the road charge and the bullet is sized to .363

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Casting bullets

Post by trent »

ok, that makes since
kempin

Casting bullets

Post by kempin »

+1 to Norm on that. ( . . . Not that he needs a second from me, since he knows what he is talking about.)

It's the load that matters, not just the bullet weight. Send a heavier bullet at the same speed as a lighter bullet, and it involves more energy and higher pressures. Adjust the load to what is suitable for the pistol, and it won't matter much--except, as Norm says, if the bullet size itself becomes an obstacle to feeding the round.

I have been shooting purchased lead bullets for mine for three years now, with a load that is even lighter than Norm's (3.3 Hodgdon Universal), and I love it.

Personally, I would only use a "heavy" load for carry, and only if it shot well in the pistol.

Norm,

It seems I've heard that lead bullets are not the best thing for "micro groove" rifling, like the cz-82. Any truth to that?

I'm also planning to lube with LEE liquid alox, since I am not set up to lube your way. Any thoughts?

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
donnerwetter58

Casting bullets

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I've tried cast bullets in my P-64 and PA-63 with good results. They were Meister cast bullets from Midway sized at .365.
I don't think Midway offers them any longer.
I bought the Lee mold for the 9x18 Makarov. When casting with recovered range lead they are a tad over 100 grains. Diameter is just over .366. I slugged my P-64 barrel and it has a groove diameter of .366.
The only lube / size dies available are .363"...a bit small. I made a die set for my RCBS sizer at .366. I have yet to load any of the .366 bullets but will report back when I do.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Casting bullets

Post by normsutton »

Kempin

there is a guy on anther board that loads lead in his CZ-82 he says he gets some leading in the barrel but not that much that he can't clean it out with a good brushing , I have shot some lead in mine and I didn't get any , I always hard cast my bullets though, I would be a little leery about shooting a lead 9mm bullet in a Glock though (another reason not to buy a Glock)

donnerwetter58

Good luck trying to get though's .366 dia to feed in a PA-63

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dwd

Casting bullets

Post by dwd »

I spoke with a George and he was "adding a small-how to manual on our downloads page shortly,
hope to have it ready in about a week, check the Free downloads page than." on the makarov.com website. So, he might have some info then.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]