Never say never....new 1911 (range report)

Use this section for all other firearms
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

After I invested in a number of 9mm firearms and read everything about +p 9mm being "ballistically similar" to .45ACP, I thought I would never want, need a 1911.

Well, went to a gun show today and saw some really cheap (read inexpensive) 1911s for $330 and got one. Always heard good things about RIA's but had never heard about the Century Arms / S.A.M. ones. Made in the Philippines but not by Armscor. So I drove 45 minutes home, jumped on the net and researched them, drove 45 minutes back to the gun show and got one.

It's a Century / S.A.M Elite 1911. Didn't have any time to get to the range with it today but may get there tomorrow. Sorry for the bad pics but lighting is poor and It looks like I didn't get all the EEZZOX off it. Fit and finish are really nice.

Last edited by space on January 13th, 2008, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

That's Purdy, good buy!
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

Space

It looks great! If it is anywhere comparable to the RIA pistol you got a fine weapon!
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

Space, that is a nice pistol. Was that a fluke deal or was that the going price for them? Rock Island Armory 45's are $419 around here.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Space, that is a nice pistol. Was that a fluke deal or was that the going price for them? Rock Island Armory 45's are $419 around here.
I saw them in the Century flyer for that price. There was one guy at the show that had 3 of them. My brother and I each got one and a while we were doing the paperwork, they sold the 3rd one.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

NICE DEAL!!! You just can't go wrong at that price......it's basically the best price you'll find even WHOLESALE for a new 1911. "ballsitically similar", eh? I find that hard to swallow, but then again I'm no ballistics expert. I just know that you will LOVE the 1911. And, after shooting some 230 FMJ rounds through her to "polish the ramp", I think you'll like the .45 quite a bit better than a 9mm +P for stopping power. You did good my man! :-*
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Space

that's a great buy, all I heard is great things about the S.A.M Elite 1911
please give use a range report

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Space,

Nice pick up, I would have done the same thing as you did, not knowing much about the S.A.M. Elite's. Someone I trust told me, "Don't judge quality by price weather it be wine ,cars and now guns".

I have another RIA .45acp on layaway, its a full size Medallion Standard, lots of extra's OTD for $400.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Space,
I have the plain S.A.M GI model. I use it in security & love it. The only thing I've done was changed to wilson & McCormick mags. Its a nice 1911, enjoy :)
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

A .45 acp in a lot of different brands are really good pistols. I have a Springfield Armory but have shot a Llama Star and others and they all seem to shoot well. I think you got a really good deal Space I think you are going to really have fun with that one!!!!:)
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Space,
The only thing I didn't have was the white dot sights. My gunsmith staked in a white front dot & put in the back ones for 20.00. Makes a lot of diff for these old eyes. 8-)
Last edited by grayfox on January 13th, 2008, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Got to shoot it late today but it was getting dark so only had time to put 50 rounds through it. Zero failures of any kind. This thing is sweet.

Maybe it's because it's all steel (i.e. heavy) but there is almost no recoil. Or maybe I'm just too used to shooting the P64. Just kinda goes "pop". Was shooting Fiocchi 230gr FMJ standard loads.

This is from the 3rd or 4th mag at 10 yards. Standing, shooting 2 handed with shots less than a second apart. Seems to be accurate enough.

Question for you 1911 guys: This gun came with a 7 round mag. Should I be able to put any 1911 mag in it (I would think so). They seem to come in 7 or 8 round sizes.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

It should, but I tried some 8 rounders in mine (cant remember who made them) and they wouldn't drop free (mind you mine is a llama) but it doesn't matter to me I'd rather keep all my 1911 mags the same capacity (7 rounders) for simplicity's sake

to be sure fit them in the weapon before you buy

by the way Very nice grouping
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Thanks...

So the 7 and 8 round mags are the same size just with different springs so you can stick one extra in? If so, I'll stay with the 7 rounders. Pretty hard to get that 7th one in anyway.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Space

I think all 1911 mags will work , there are some 8 round mags most of them are 7 though , I have seen 30 round mags ,and someone used to sell a drum mag that fits a 1911 don't remember how many it held ,
I like 7 round GI mags the best

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage