First Hiccup

Info, pictures, advice...
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

Went to the range today and after shooting 2 or 3 magazines, the slide would not go forward. Pushed and pulled for a few minutes and then all seemed to be okay. Then, after a few more rounds, the slide stuck all the way back again. No magazine, safety is not on, trigger guard up or down and the slide does not want to budge. I had fired a couple hundred rounds thru this P-64 in the last few months w/o any problem.

At home, I put the nose of the slide against the top of a table and, using my weight, I got the slide loose, but I am curious why it locked up.
Last edited by torpeau on December 18th, 2007, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

First Hiccup

Post by normsutton »

torpeau

9 out 10 times the recoil spring is in backwards, small end of spring goes on barrel first

or you can try a 20# recoil spring from wolff

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

torpeau
9 out 10 times the recoil spring is in backwards, small end of spring goes on barrel first
or you can try a 20# recoil spring from wolff
Thanks, Norm. This is the spring that came with the pistol and I hadn't removed it. I have now replaced with a 20# spring.

I wonder what the slide got stuck on -- I had to use force to get the slide to move forward.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

First Hiccup

Post by normsutton »

torpeau
no telling
I would have to see the gun

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

I wonder what the slide got stuck on -- I had to use force to get the slide to move forward.
Actually, I put the nose of the slide against a table to force the slide back a tiny bit farther and that freed it so that it would go fully forward.
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

Actually, I put the nose of the slide against a table to force the slide back a tiny bit farther and that freed it so that it would go fully forward.
It happened again yesterday -- even w/ the new recoil spring. This time, after the slide got released, it looked like a FMJ round didn't fully get out of the magazine. Altho the magazine looks normal, I have marked it so that I will know not to use it. I ordered 3 more new magazines.
michaelap

First Hiccup

Post by michaelap »

Is that magazine brand new? I had some problems with a new mag a while back
fritzhund

First Hiccup

Post by fritzhund »

Where did you order the magazines from?

I am assuming that you mean factory magazines and not the cheapie aftermarket ones. I have never used any magazines in my P-64's that were not factory. It has been mentioned that the knockoffs have a plastic follower. I'm not an expert, but I would start with observation. Look closely, you might surprise yourself!

Check your mags and possibly your feed ramp.

Fritzhund

;)
Last edited by fritzhund on January 9th, 2008, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
michaelap

First Hiccup

Post by michaelap »

Well pal My "observation" isn't suprising me. The mags have no plastic. Does anyone out there who is not assuming know about this one- I was told that springfield was pumping mags for P-64 out. The ones I picked up came from someone on ebay. They are identical to my original.
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

Is that magazine brand new? I had some problems with a new mag a while back
No, this was one of the originals that I suspect could be the reason for the problem. The new mags I have gotten appear to be almost identical to the originals. They come from
http://keepshooting.com/
michaelap

First Hiccup

Post by michaelap »

I have some very sharp edges and it may be nothing but I thought that had something to do with it I mean the gun jammed and locked up big time
barnett3006

First Hiccup

Post by barnett3006 »

Torpeau,

Make sure that the slide stop and its spring are in good condition/working order. It is possible that the slide stop is moving under recoil and is catching on the slide causing your jams.

also,
Well pal My "observation" isn't suprising me. The mags have no plastic. Does anyone out there who is not assuming know about this one
without being able to physically handle and look at your gun it is impossible, on an internet forum setting, to not make anything but assumptions about a problem that can have any combination of any number of different variables contributing to it.
fritzhund

First Hiccup

Post by fritzhund »

michaelap

:-X

Just trying to help a friend with a jam..........

fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

First Hiccup

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Torpeau,
Did you clean the pistol when you first bought it? The storage oil the gun came with is not suiteable for the range, I had the same problem when I bought my first P-64. Clean it real well and give the gun a proper grease and lube and you may find that the problem goes away. Good Luck!
G.R.
torpeau

First Hiccup

Post by torpeau »

Torpeau,
Did you clean the pistol when you first bought it? The storage oil the gun came with is not suiteable for the range, I had the same problem when I bought my first P-64.
G.R.
Probably not what you'd call a "proper cleaning," but it had been well lubricated w/ CLP and had handled a couple hundred rounds w/o a problem before the first hiccup.