Jammed up

Info, pictures, advice...
ourbigbluehouse

Jammed up

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

I shot mine again last night and had a problem that I had never experienced before and it happened twice much to my dismay. I was shooting with my former CCW instructor's class. The pistol jammed on the first round of a clip. It didn't load properly and and stuck below the feed ramp. We couldn't eject the mag and pulling the slide was no help either. We kept working at it and somehow got the round out and the mag to release. I suspect that I didn't pull the slide far enough back to load the first round. Am I right or do I have a problem that is going to pop up again?

I put close to 70 rounds through it and this was the only problem. I did learn that I'm accurate in single action mode but that first shot (even with the spring change) can go unpredictable for me. It was suggested that I carry it safety off but de-cocked. Then cock the hammer when it is drawn. Tried it and it improved the first shot on target. BTW I had never shot a 1911 until last night, I had always been afraid of their kick. IMHO our P64 has it beat hands down. Mine bit me on the next last clip when I got my hand to far up the grip. Am showing the swelling and the small cut tonight.

Let me know about the jamming.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Jammed up

Post by nbender »

bigblue, what kind of ammo were you using?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jammed up

Post by manicmechanic »

I'm going to take a shot in the dark,( pun unintended),
that the ammo was Hornady XTP. I ended up switching away from that due to the first round not feeding into the chamber. Shot great, but the first round would end up in a set back condition and I didn't feel comfortable shooting those off. It seemed the nose of the round was not very round, the hollow point was quite large and was not running up the ramp.
ourbigbluehouse

Jammed up

The rounds are Russian made 100gr., dull finish with red and blue rings. No brand label on the small 16 round box.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Jammed up

Post by nbender »

The ammo sounds like what the pistol was made to shoot.

But I'd like to ask: If there are no markings on the box how did you determine it's 100-grain? Those 100-grain Russian cartridges packed in 16-round boxes have corrosive primers, so make sure you clean accordingly. If it's 100-grain the headstamp should read "B West 9x18" and the boxes should be labeled similarly. I've seen a different Russian cartridge in 16-round boxes with a "38 87" headstamp that's 92-grain. Also corrosive.

You may have a point in your original post about not pulling the slide back all the way and letting go. If you can, get to a very safe spot, load a magazine, point the pistol safely and practice cycling cartridges through without firing to see if it's your technique.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Jammed up

Post by normsutton »

ourbigbluehouse
don't shoot anything over a 95 grn bullet in a P-64 or your going to have problems

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ourbigbluehouse

Jammed up

The boxes are plain brown with no color label. It is B-West ammo now that I looked as you suggested and after I got home, I cleaned it well prior to putting it away.

You guys are the greatest with your advice. Thanks.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Jammed up

Post by carguy »

What size recoil spring did you change to? It might effect the slide not cycling fully and misfeeding. I had similar problems although mine was repeated and it was due to an aftermarket mag that had misformed (bent) lips around the edges that feed the bullet. I also had problems with the 20# recoil spring as it kept sticking open necessitating a whack with a rubber mallet to release it.
ourbigbluehouse

Jammed up

I went with the 20# spring and a friend ha also suggested the magazine problem you mentioned. I have an after market mag, but to tell the truth, I wasn't paying attention to which of the two I have. I will compare the two and try cycling them as nbender suggested. I'll let you know what happened.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jammed up

Post by blinddog »

I wals shooting some Wolf 105gr and had some problems with my 68 not wanting to feed right and slide came back past the slide stop and stuck. Had to use a rubber mallet and bumped it on its little nose and it came back to battery. Heavier grain may havd had something to do with the silde coming back too far, but it still should have feed properly.