Info, pictures, advice...
michaelap

Wolf ammo

Post by michaelap »

Sorry it is the link above
tripper

Wolf ammo

Post by tripper »

I believe this is the round that Trent was talking about. I received this today in lieu of the Military Classic that I ordered and am now wondering if this is any good or if I should consider returning it. I have half a case of the MC and like it but have never shot this 100 gr. wolf with the new semi-conical bullet before. nbender, I would appreciate your thoughts on this?

mikeh1

Wolf ammo

Post by mikeh1 »

I bought some Wolf black box in 7.62x54R that was corrosive, even though it also said on the box "non-corrosive". I found out too late for my M44, there were tiny little pits in the bore by the time I got it home from the range, and I only shot the black box ammo that day. The Mililtary Classic in 9x18 was fine in the PA-63. Wolf Gold is good and it's also non-corrosive. I just don't use the black box ammo anymore.
Last edited by mikeh1 on December 4th, 2007, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolf ammo

Post by nbender »

tripper, that 100-grain Wolf seemed to perform Ok, in that I've not read about squibs or such. The older 109-grain with the green-colored cases had the most posted problems. Nobody has ever posted the opinion that Wolf 9x18 is corrosive and I haven't seen any indications of that. I think the 9x18 corrosive primers were long gone by the time they produced this round.

This 100-grain flies around 930 fps; the Wolf military Classic travels around 1030. I personally think the 100-grain Wolf is an Ok round to shoot in the P-64.
tripper

Wolf ammo

Post by tripper »

Thanks, nbender. Since it's an okay round in the P-64 then it wouldn't be a problem at all in my Mak. ;D

What do you think of the bullet shape? I think I read somewhere that the conical shape of the old Wolf created feeding problems. Is that true? Do you think this new shape will lessen or eliminate hang ups on the feed ramp of a P-64 or a Mak?

Thanks again.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolf ammo

Post by nbender »

Definitely Ok for a Makarov!

My Maks are so broken in I can feed coke cans through them. On some of them I smoothed and/or filed the feed ramp; others I just kept force-feeding ammo through them until they would feed anything (except the wildly out-of-spec rounds like some of the 115 or 120-grain Silver Bear with abnormal OALs). The bullet shape has not given me problems at all, but I think I've read that people with less well-used Maks had some trouble.

How about trying this - get to a safe spot, load a magazine, point the pistol at something it's Ok to shoot, and dry-cycle a few magazines through. That should give an indication whether your pistol will feed the round.
tripper

Wolf ammo

Post by tripper »

Thanks NB, will try that.

I was on the phone with Centerfire (where I got the ammo from) to ask about the wrong shipment. Magnus (nice guy) said he could not understand where the 100 gr. Wolf came from because they haven't had it in a long time and that all they ever get now is the 95 gr. Military Classic. Strange. :o

Anyway, they're kind enough to take it back if I don't want it. That's good customer service in my book.
tripper

Wolf ammo

Post by tripper »

Centerfire sent me this email after I talked to Magnus about the Wolf:

"Interesting. It turned out that we have a few boxes in here that are committed to orders but haven't shipped yet, and it is as you say, they're 100 grain and they're that peculiar cone shape. What I'm really surprised by, however, is that they're polymer coated rather than lacquer, which means they must be new production rather than something that's been hiding in a crate in the warehouse, as I thought. I'll be looking into this further."

It's nice to get a feedback from a source.
michaelap

Wolf ammo

Post by michaelap »

That box was the first I used when I fired my P-64 for the first time and no problems