New to the world of concealed carry...need advice

Info, pictures, advice...
bassplayerbrown

Post by bassplayerbrown »

So, I've had my Indiana concealed carry permit for almost four years now, but hadn't been able to find a CCW that was comfortable enough for everyday until I picked up my P-64 a few weeks ago. (And it's perfect!!) Which means that up until now I've only carried on rare occasions, such as when going to really bad neighborhoods and such. Since I've found my P-64 (and the world goes a little bit more to hell every day) I'd like to carry as often as possible. My question is...well...long and involved.

I am a professional musician and spend up to five nights a week in nightclubs. Sometimes, I deal with fairly large amounts of cash, not to mention the nearly $3,000 worth of basses I carry on my back every night--plus it's 3:00 a.m. and everyone's in an unpredictable drunken stupor. Obviously, I'd feel much more comfortable with my P-64 on my hip. The last time I checked it is legal to carry in a nightclub in Indiana, unless posted otherwise by the club. My issue is when I'm on stage, it's hard to perform and not have the pistol poke out, but leaving it in the car means I won't have it when I'm walking to and from my car...or while I'm on stage for that matter! (i.e. Dimebag Darrell see link below) I don't really have a place to stash it on stage because my band doesn't use amplifiers or stage monitors. I don't want to leave it in my coat or my bass case, since there's over 300 people in the club and I can't keep a constant eye on those things while I play.

So...if you were me, what would you do?

Just looking for suggestions.

On a side note, I took my P-64 to the range for the first time on Monday. The knuckle on my right thumb still hurts, but I was totally impressed. Owning a P-64 makes me feel smarter. :)

Thanks!

For more info on Dimebag Darrell: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/149465 ... plan.jhtml
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

bassplayerbrown

i would get a holster from ishi

http://redstormholsters.com/firebrand/Home.html

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with Norm,

ishi's IWB holster will not only conceal the P-64 but secure it from anyone else, these are great and inexpensive holsters. I also use a Clipdraw and a DeSantis pocket holster, also inexpensive, for different situations and dress, so you might what to consider these too. I use all three of these and they are comfortable for me, just my $0.02 worth.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

http://www.desantisholster.com/

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

And leave your shirt untucked. No one will see anything that way.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

There is always ankle holsters, as long as you are not wearing shorts, and welcome to the forum bassplayerbrown
bassplayerbrown

Post by bassplayerbrown »

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I was expecting too much from my Fobus paddle holster...gonna have to go IWB. I've been considering the ClipDraw, but didn't know if I could still use a holster with the clip mounted to the slide. It sounds like papabear uses both, so it must be possible. The ishi holster looks great, but the belt loop appears to be small. Has anyone had a problem with the ishi holster not fitting your belt? (I guess it's better to buy a new belt, than leave my P-64 at home.) :o

As far as ankle holsters are concerned, my wardrobe is about 90% cargo shorts...can't stand being too hot! I like the idea, though.

Thanks again.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

I carry mine in a pocket holster. M42 pocket pro by Brigade leather, (a member on this board) I have also got an ishi holster that I carry in the waistband and have had no problems fitting my belts. Since you mentioned cargo shorts, I carried a naa 22 magnum clipped inside my cargo short pocket while camping this summer. The 22 magnum would enable you to shoot your way back to the van where the P64 is. then use the p64 to shoot your way to the shotgun or rifle. Ok so I got carried away. Later Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Don

You think like I do

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on November 16th, 2007, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I've been considering the ClipDraw, but didn't know if I could still use a holster with the clip mounted to the slide. It sounds like papabear uses both, so it must be possible. h.

Thanks again.
bassplayerbrown,

With the ishi holster you can, I have used it that way before. My main CCW is a P-64, its a 1976 with the triangular hammer w/clipdraw. It goes in and comes out of the ishi holster with ease. I might mention here that when I use clipdraw only, I attach it to the waste band of my pants and underneath my belt, not attached to the belt, that way it stays secure.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I have one of these http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11.html for my P64 and it is fantastic. Its comfortable to wear all day walking or sitting or whatever.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

there's also this, none of us have tried it here yet. but for cargo pants/shorts wearers (like myself) it seems promising (the only drawback is that you have to cut 3 slits into the back of the pocket so the holster's straps can go through)

http://www.handgunholsters.net/index.html
Last edited by trent on November 17th, 2007, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

If you wear cargo shorts with typical cargo pockets, a good pocket holster will swallow up the P-64. It will look like a large wallet (if anything at all).

It's great for carrying while moving around or sitting.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html
tmkwdi

Post by tmkwdi »

From a Newbie who will be picking up his P-64 this weekend: Would a fanny pack work for you?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I've been considering the ClipDraw, but didn't know if I could still use a holster with the clip mounted to the slide. It sounds like papabear uses both, so it must be possible. h.

Thanks again.
bassplayerbrown,

With the ishi holster you can, I have used it that way before. My main CCW is a P-64, its a 1976 with the triangular hammer w/clipdraw. It goes in and comes out of the ishi holster with ease. I might mention here that when I use clipdraw only, I attach it to the waste band of my pants and underneath my belt, not attached to the belt, that way it stays secure.

papabear
Thant is one good looking P64...nice grips! :-*
Last edited by carguy on November 30th, 2007, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Thanks carguy, I'm rather proud of it myself, I never leave home without it or my other P-64.

Someone asked me once why I carried two pistols, I said do you carry a spare tire for your car....here's your sign..... ::)

papabear
Last edited by papabear on November 30th, 2007, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER