Ammo ?

Info, pictures, advice...
mbillups

Ammo ?

Post by mbillups »

I have been shooting up all my FMJ S&B and it works flawlessly in all my makarov guns. Unfortunately my makaro supply is getting low. I noticed that FMJ prices are higher than HP (what I could fine). So I am thinking why buy FMJ, just buy HP. As long as it feeds ok, right?

PS. Reloading might be in my future.

Mort
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo ?

Post by normsutton »

mgb3rd

A guy once said reloading is not cheaper ,but allow's you to shoot more for the same price,
and is very addictive, I should no I reload for ever cal. gun or rifle I own form 9 x 18 to 45/70

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ammo ?

Post by carguy »

The S&B FMJ in IMHO is the best out there! I love it and covet it as it is also the most expensive except the american made stuff that I avoid (price concious). I shout HP Silver bear all the time for practic and it feeds flawlessly! Other than WOLF (and I say this based on opinions voiced by several forum members) I don't think there is a bad 9x18 brand out there.
mbillups

Ammo ?

Post by mbillups »

I like the S&B also and I have shot a fair amount of it and the Silver Bear FMJ. Can't seem to find any of the Silver Bear FMJ lately though. The Silver Bear HP shoots fine in P-64's and OK in my PA-63 with the exception of one or two FTGTBs. My MAKs and CZ-82 I have only shot FMJ. That will change since Silver Bear HPs are cheaper and I love to shoot the 9x18.

Now I have a dreaded Wolf ammo question. I have one box of Wolf FMJ Classic FMJ steel case 95gr. I understand it might not be a good idea to shoot this through a P-64 but what about Maks, 82s?

Mort
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo ?

Post by papabear »

mgb3rd,

I use to shoot Wolf in my P-64's and Mak's, I never had a problem with it, however, the Wolf ammo I shot was not not consistent and it was a bit dirty compared to the S&B [Czech], Mesko [Polish], MFS [Hungarian], Barnaul [Russian], Norinco Gr. box [China]. Back when I had 5 P-64's I bought a lot of 9x18 ammo from all the above brands when it was available. I still have some Wolf 95gr 9x18 but I only shoot it in my Bulgie Mak, I guess I could sell it at a show, but I'm not afraid to shoot it in my Bulgie till its all gone. There are those that won't shoot Wolf ammo period and I understand and respect their opinions, I will just use up all my Wolf and just not get any more. I understand Wolf is making a effort to correct their quality control, however, for me, first impressions are lasting and I just don't want to deal with their ammo when there is so many others brands to choose from.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo ?

Post by nbender »

The 9x18 Wolf with the worst reputation was that 109-grain round they made at the Tula Cartridge Works (TCW). They then made, and may still be making, the 100-grain also at the TCW. That 100-grain round had a lot better reputation.

The 95-grain "Wolf Military Classic" is made at the Ulyanovsk Machine Tool Plant. It shoots right to military specification - 1,034 fps; and weighs 93 - 94-grains which was also military specification.

Given the new manufacturing plant and the standardized cartridge specs I don't think Wolf Military Classic should be harmful in any pistol chambered for 9x18.
mbillups

Ammo ?

Post by mbillups »

Thanks Papabear and Nbender! I think I'll lean on the side of caution and shoot it in my Bulgie Mak. I only have one box so it won't last long. I picked it up at a gun show a few months back because I really liked the box design.

Mort
donnerwetter58

Ammo ?

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Mort,
If reloading is in your future buy brass cased, boxer primed ammo. The MFS stuff at SOG should fit the bill. At $175 per thousand it isn't the least expensive but it is reloadable.
Besides Starline brass and the MFS stuff, there isn't much 9x18 around in reloadable cases.
You'll get lots of encouragement if you want to start reloading.
Have fun.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo ?

Post by papabear »

nbender,

You are right of course, the Wolf I have is the 109 gr stuff, I got it back in 2005, had 500 rds of it and am down to one full box and a partial box, but the Makaror's handle it just fine. My cousin did give me two box's of Wolf 100 gr and I haven't shot it yet, but I will when I finish off the Wolf 109, thanks for your input, you be the ammo man around here.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
torpeau

Ammo ?

Post by torpeau »

Mort,
If reloading is in your future buy brass cased, boxer primed ammo. The MFS stuff at SOG should fit the bill. At $175 per thousand it isn't the least expensive but it is reloadable.
I can't find MFS 9x18 at SOG. Do you have a link?
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
drogers

Ammo ?

Post by drogers »

The SOG, MFS brand is item #AMO-9x18H. $8.95 /box of 50 or $175/thousand round box. I just got some this week. It shows up in the circular they send out. Phone 800-944-4867 Good luck.
Don
Last edited by drogers on October 26th, 2007, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.