Which hollow point?

Info, pictures, advice...
dutchuncle

Which hollow point?

Post by dutchuncle »

I like my P-64 so much, I have been using it as my open carry gun more and more. (I use a Kel-Tec P3AT for concealed carry). I have had no problem with using .380 Gold Dots in the Kel-Tec, but have only fed a few Makarov Gold Dots through my P-64. Have any of y'all had experience with various hollow point Mak rounds? Any you particularly like? Any to avoid?
mikethewreck

Which hollow point?

Post by mikethewreck »

Hornady has been working for me.
ozarker

Which hollow point?

Post by ozarker »

I still have some 115gr left... Hard on the gun and hand. Carry Hornady
b52stan

Which hollow point?

Post by b52stan »

90 gr Fiocchi HP is even better because it's much hotter, but recoil isn't bad because of ligh bullet wt.
Problem is, it's been discontinued, so you have to look for old stock.
steve98664

Which hollow point?

Post by steve98664 »

Anybody tried Hornady custom XTP 9mm Mak? @ $16 for 25 I'd wanna know before I buy!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Which hollow point?

Post by abwehr »

Do standard Hollow Points really do anything in this caliber? I am waiting on Cor-Bon to come out with their PowR-Ball round. IF it is anything as good as the .40 S&W, it will be a winner in 9mm Makarov!
tunnelrat

Which hollow point?

Post by tunnelrat »

Anybody tried Hornady custom XTP 9mm Mak? @ $16 for 25 I'd wanna know before I buy!
Hornady's website claims 1000 fps at muzzle, and 221 lb/ft. of energy. That's about the same as very high end .380acp. However, it tends to be very reliable, so that is what I am carrying until I can find something hotter.

You might want to try Golden Loki's website:
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9x18/gel9x18.htm
Last edited by tunnelrat on January 24th, 2006, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Which hollow point?

Post by abwehr »

tunnelrat,

Thanks for posting thje website! I was impressed with all the rounds tested; they actually expanded well! You are right about the Hornady round, it expanded and stayed together.
jbailey

Which hollow point?

Post by jbailey »

I've run a 25 box of Hornady for reliability testing (no problems) but I usually want several hundred before trusting it for carry, and it's two expensive for my blood. (Odd choice of phrase?) I had a big supply of Barnaul 92 g HP from my MAK days, price was right and of course the MAK chambers anything (at least mine does.) Hoping to find more....

If you want to really make an impression (on the target AND your hand), try the 120 g HP Silver Bears! No thanks!
amd6547

Which hollow point?

Post by amd6547 »

I like the 115 Silver Bears. From what I have read, the Hornady dosn't make 1000fps. While the Silver Bear might not be fun for an extended range session, for self defense, it squeezes every foot-pound out of the makarov cartridge. If I wanted a 380, I would buy one.
On the other hand, I have no qualms about carrying FMJs in the caliber, either
I dont like spending $16 for 25 rounds of Hornady, when I can get 50 for $7.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
tunnelrat

Which hollow point?

Post by tunnelrat »

9x18 Fired from a Bulgarian Makarov:

TCW 95 gr FMJ Average Velocity = 1043 ft/sec
Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ Average Velocity = 1018 ft/sec
CorBon 95 gr JHP +P Average Velocity = 1098 ft/sec
Hornady 95 gr XTP Average Velocity = 937 ft/sec

Although the Hornady XTP is clearly slower, Steven Camp has noted in his informal expansion tests (water, and wetpack), that it seems to expand more aggressively than in other calibers he's tried.
Last edited by tunnelrat on January 25th, 2006, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amd6547

Which hollow point?

Post by amd6547 »

In the 9mm makarov, I prefer penetration and velocity to overpriced aggressive expansion. I also saw a series of tests, and I'm sorry I don't have the link, where the silver bear out-penetrated the Hornady by a good margin in water AND expanded.
I wish you would all email mike mcnett at doubletap ammo and urge him to bring out a makarov load. I have never been too impressed with cor-bon. Doubletap has made some of the finest self-defense loads in 10mm, 40s&w, 357sig and 45acp. I am sure mike could produce the load we are all looking for. I have used his 40s&w and 357sig loads, and they produce everything they promise at a reasonable price. Check out their website, www.doubletapammo.com
Last edited by amd6547 on January 25th, 2006, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Which hollow point?

Post by abwehr »

amd6547,

Thanks for the link. I will try to e-mail Mr. McNett to inquire about the 9mm Mak round. I will also invite him to drop by the P-64 Forum to visit if possible.