New SKS today!

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

New SKS today!

Post by volfandan »

Well, blame Norm and Carguy! Seemed like a great deal, though. I'd been a couple of weeks ago to a local shop, and they had 4 Yugo Model 59's. The 59/66's are everywhere, but the 59's seem to have dried up. Anyway, it was my first C&R purchase, and I didn't even get to order it in the mail! I was able to get around the $10 TICS fee, though. $217.50 OTD

Here are some pics....I plan on refinishing her, but it may take a bit.

Sorry about the size.....I went to edit on every pic and resized to message board, but somehow it's not working.

Last edited by volfandan on October 17th, 2007, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New SKS today!

Post by papabear »

volfandan,

Hey, Norm and carguy will help you spend your money in a heart beat, actually they are both good guys, we would be lost around here without them. Not having to ship saved you some money though. The Yugo 59's are getting harder to find and you did good on this one, congrates on the 59 Yugo, let us know how she handles and what your intentions are with it.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New SKS today!

Post by carguy »

NICE! ;D

I'm glad you were able to use your C&R and you picked a great looking rifle to do it on. The 59s are getting fewer and more expensive.

Great buy! Now clean it, shoot it, clean it, shoot it and eventually refinish it. There doesn't seem to be any cosmoline on it at all!!

In all seriousness...not as hard as I anticipated at all.

And very satisfying once complete! A fun gun to shoot too!! :-*

Oh and I almost forgot...you are welcome! We need more people like you to have a safe full of guns instead of money...just like us! (Well not really like me but I'm working on it!)
Last edited by carguy on October 17th, 2007, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New SKS today!

Post by normsutton »

DONNY

instructions on how to take it apart

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

New SKS today!

Post by volfandan »

I plan on refinishing the wood with a nice BLO/Tung mixture that Norm put me on. I am going to reblue the gas tube, magazine, and buttplate. They are pretty bad finish-wise, but the rest of the rilfe has great blue. I'll have to strip her down, clean, and use 0000 steel wool with oil to really see what areas may need a cold blue touch-up.

I have an old Norinco paratrooper that I got back in....I think '96. I was a young-un back then, so I just had to put it in a folding stock. (it does have USA parts to be compliant) I'm going to just redo this one to it's former military glory, and use it as a shooter.

I knew that Samco had imported a bunch of 59's, but this one is a TN Guns import. The smith at the gunshop told me that TN Guns sold them a bunch that were hand-picks (we live in Knoxville, TN....20 minute drive to TN Guns) He also said that he suspects the 59's will increase in value VERY fast.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New SKS today!

Post by carguy »

I love the look of the "cheese grater" hand guard I put on my Chinese SKS...great look for less than $10... 8-)

Last edited by carguy on October 17th, 2007, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

New SKS today!

Post by volfandan »

I like it too, Carguy. I have one on my Norinco paratrooper. Hadn't really considered it for the 59.....but :o. It would save me the trouble of rebluing the gas tube!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New SKS today!

Post by abwehr »

volfandan,

Excellent choice on the Yugo SKS! I have two of the 59/66s and always wanted the 59, but never bought one. These are excellent rifles and FUN!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

New SKS today!

Post by trent »

I don't mean to sound dumb but what is the difference between a 59/66 and a 59?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New SKS today!

Post by normsutton »

Trent

no rubber but plate and no grenade launcher or grenade sights
on the M- 59

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 19th, 2007, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

New SKS today!

Post by volfandan »

Trent,

I'm definitely not an expert, but it was my understanding that many 59's were reconfigured into the 59/66 in the 1960's. The 59 is basically a total Russian copy SKS. They reconfigured the 59's by putting the grenade launching muzzle attachment that looks like a flash-hider, a gas cut-off valve (to make the rifle single-shot to fire the grenades), and a flip up grenade sight on the gas tube. As you can see in the pics of mine, the 59 just looks like a plain old Russian SKS.....or like a Norinco, but without the blonde shellaced wood and with blade bayonet.

Here's a couple of shots of the 59/66. Notice the muzzle device for grenade launching, the flip up grenade sight, OH, and also a better buttpad --rubber, not metal.

carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New SKS today!

Post by carguy »

I wanted a 59 soooooo badly but couldn't come up with one affordably when I stumbled on my Norinco a couple of months ago. These are fun to shoot!!! I think my chinese version is shorter so I put the 1" rubber recoil pad on it to ease the pain and stretch the length.

I'm thinking of shooting it at my club's pumpkin shoot later in the month. With soft tip bullets it should shatter the pumpkins very nicely! Maybe I'll surprise everyone and use my little tiny MAS 36! Those 7.5x54 should drop a pumpkin at 50 yards don't you think!! ::)
volfandan

New SKS today!

Post by volfandan »

As long as the pumpkins aren't fighting back.....the FRENCH MAS 36 should be OK
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New SKS today!

Post by carguy »

OUCH! :'(
volfandan

New SKS today!