Converting CZ 52 to 9mm Luger (SHOOTS REALLY WELL)

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Well, it took some time but I finally got the 9mm barrel installed into my CZ52. The problem was not great but the locking rollers were a little tight and would not drop in. A little fine file work (very little) and in they went. Also the bluing build up in the pin hole was a bit much and it needed a little nudge to get the pin to seat and retain the locking slide to capture the rollers. Next problem was to make everything function so the slide would drop into place. All new parts except for the slide so things were tight. I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if I had purchased a slide removal tool, I'm going to have to pick one up if I plan on cleaning this thing regularly. Next step is a trip to the range to see if I'm going to need to adjust the extractor. There is plenty of room in the bolt face for the increased rim width of the 9mm cartridge but some folks have reported a need to do some adjusting to the extractor, time will tell. It also looks like the crown is going to need to be done, barrel did not come crowned from the factory. Thanks to Norms direction and his encouragement I have successfully accomplished two re crowns and it looks like I may be doing a third. "Thanks Again Norm Your the Best". I haven't read many problems with feed but thanks to the folks at the Kel-Tec gun forum there is a fix for that also if necessary. I'll get to the range on Monday and leave a report.
Wish me luck,
Gunney Rabbit.

P.S.
Wait until you see the really cool grips the Papabear turned me onto, Flame Maple and the gun looks great! ;D
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 22nd, 2007, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doyle

Post by doyle »

Good luck. I still have not tried firing my 9mm barrel. If you do have to do some crowning and extractor work, try to post some pictures. I, for one, would love to see examples before I try and do it myself.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Doyle, will do.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Hey gunny, can't wait to see the pic's and of course a range report if you please.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

papabear,
Will try my best to post Monday afternoon.
G.R.
Hey, does anyone out there know how the folks at the auction sites get the white lettering on their guns for the photos they post? I was thinking about using chalk but thought I would ask for input first.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 17th, 2007, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

gunneryrabbit,

The cheapest and easiest is to go to Wal-Mart or an office supply store and buy a white "China Marker" crayon. I lightly oil the metal and then rub the white wax type material into the stampings. Then I use a lightly oiled cloth to remove the excess and leave the material in the stampings. The good part with the China Marker over paint is it is easy to remove with oil or other solvent.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I used to know a dealer that sold markers (like big crayons just a little greasier) to highlight the stampings. He had them in black, white, red and gold. I never bothered with them but can see the reasoning behind them. I'll bet any Crayola Crayon would work just fine, I've even heard of people using chalk (very temporary).
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

The Crayon sounds fine for deep bold stampings. I may give corn starch and oil a try and see how it photographs.
Wish me luck....................... G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Dick, Thank you very much, how cool is that, you came through again as always. Really appreciate the web sight, it couldn't be easier.
Thanks again.
G.R. ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Took the CZ 52 with 9mm conversion installed to the range today and it shot really well. We are limited to shooting at a distance of fifty-five feet at the Johnson Creek Gun Cub indoor range so my off hand strings were not that great. Best group of five was just below four inches with average groups being in the six inch range. The best five shot group I was able to put together was off of the mag as a rest and was right at 2.25 x 1.25 inches. I had five out of one hundred failures to feed that I attribute to limp wristing off of the rest. There were two failures to feed while shooting strong hand and both were the last cartridges in the magazine. Several things I noticed about the gun were the poor trigger, sights and the slide release device wanted to jump out of the gun every time I pulled the trigger. I had a very tough time keeping the front sight centered between the rear sights and the trigger is going to get some work. The slide hold open device also needs to be improved, may be a thumb release welded on to stiffen it up. I think this pistol has some possibility's, with a little more work and a modest investment for an improved slide release it will make a nice shooter. I will post some photos this evening when I find my camera.
G.R. :D
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 22nd, 2007, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R.
The pin on the other side of the slide stop just needs to be re staked you do that with a punch a hammer
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

NORM, I staked it shortly after I got home this afternoon, had the spring tightened all the way down and gave it several good shots. It still seems a little loose yet so I will take the punch with me to the range next week to see if it needs a little more love applied. All and all I was very happy for the first time out with the 9mm barrel and plan on shooting and tinkering with it a lot more as time goes on. This is the type of pistol I just love, everything you do to it makes it better and the grips that papabear turned me onto are beautiful. They had all the the police officers that were there to qualify, rubber necking to see what I was shooting.
I am pretty darned proud of my new baby. ;D ;D ;D
G.R.