Did the HK recoil spring swap

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mongo

Post by mongo »

I can tell it has a "zingy" sound now when you rack the slide and you have to "work the length" in 1/4 coil increments until you get the sweet spot.

I noticed if you rotate the cut coil down against the receiver it makes a big difference in the noise.

I just might NOT buy the wolff spring when it comes out.

The HK spring works just fine with Hornady 95 XTP, Silverbear 115 JHP and Wolf 100 FMJ

Thanks to Saands for the research.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

mongo,

Did the case ejection distance change with the new HK Spring vs the original Spring? There was a discussion about how far the P-64 throws the empties. It has always been my theory that as long as the empties are thrown out reliably, the Spring is good. If the case is thrown into the next "zip code" (I like that saying, LOL), the pistol is taking a good beating. As I have always stated, I usullay stay with the original design because the engineers knew something I may not know. But we have learned a lot about these pistols, and some changes are good!

I appreciate all you guys that perform these experiments that help us all!
mongo

Post by mongo »

I didn't notice any change since I use an indoor range and the wall is about 4 feet behind you.

It did fix my magazine popping out thing.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

Mongo. there is no reason that changing the recoil spring would affect the magazine dropping out. Now the mainspring would definately affect it as it tensions the release.
Last edited by nimble1 on January 22nd, 2006, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

mongo,

Well, I guess that kills my theory about the Recoil Spring being heavier not throwing the cases as far! It must be in the geometry of the extractor and ejector then????
mongo

Post by mongo »

Mongo. there is no reason that changing the recoil spring would affect the magazine dropping out. Now the mainspring would definately affect it as it tensions the release.
Tell my P64 that.. he doesn't seem to know. ;D
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

What if the slide is not slamming around so much with the stiffer spring and is shaking the magazine less?
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Tell my P64 that.. he doesn't seem to know. ;D
Yup, Saands reported the same problem...
mongo

Post by mongo »

BE very careful about shoving the spring and slide together after you fit your spring. I got back from the range and could not get the slide off this last time. I had to put it in a vise. I then trimmed another 1/4 coil off and everything is fine.