Hearing Protection

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
redfestiva

Hearing Protection

Post by redfestiva »

Do any of you guys use electronic hearing protection? I got my wife and I these headsets at a tool supply store for only $14 each. They use 2 AA batteries and have a volume control. They work really well and it's nice to be able to talk to each other and hear normally without removing the headset. On a windy day you can hear wind noise but that's not often a problem and you can aways turn them off and use them as normal earmuffs. I think the expensive models are stereo so the sound is more directional but for the money these work well and get the job done.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Hearing Protection

Post by trent »

Whats the brand and model
Last edited by trent on September 2nd, 2007, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
redfestiva

Hearing Protection

Post by redfestiva »

Harbor Freight is where I got them. They are available online and this is link to them. They were on sale when I got mine but $20 is still cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92851
Last edited by redfestiva on September 2nd, 2007, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hearing Protection

Post by papabear »

redfestiva,

Thanks for the web site on the hearing protection, great idea, I think I'll give em a try.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hearing Protection

Post by devlinfaust »

I use a set that looks a lot like that. The batteries seem to last forever. But I paid double your $14.

Good deal!
threepdr

Hearing Protection

Post by threepdr »

I've got a set of those also. I caught them on sale (with a coupon) at Harbor Frieght for $9.99. They are exactly the same as the Caldwell Shooting Supply version that I got from Midway for about $30.

Can't beat these for the money.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Hearing Protection

Post by carguy »

Thanks for the link, I've been considering a set as I usually use ear plugs and find myself putting htem in and out more and more lately. Looks like an affordable alternative.

Thanks for the link.
saands

Hearing Protection

Post by saands »

I use electronic muffs AND the foam earplugs ... I think that the professionals call it double plugging. Anyway, I turn the amplifiers up all the way and that allows me to hear what is going on outside, but when the noise starts and the amplifier cuts out, things get really quiet. I've found that this works REALLY well for introducing non-shooters to the sport ... especially at indoor ranges where the noise can get pretty intense if the wrong calibers are in the next stall.

Saands
torpeau

Hearing Protection

Post by torpeau »

Harbor Freight is where I got them. They are available online and this is link to them. They were on sale when I got mine but $20 is still cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92851
Harbor Freight was out of these when I dropped by. Asked about this general type of hearing protection at the gunshop/range where I go and they sell something, but I think theirs was $150. Do we get what we pay for in this instance?
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
redfestiva

Hearing Protection

Post by redfestiva »

On Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show he plugged the Harbor Freight electronic hearing muffs. He said he had a pair that cost $200 and a pair that cost $150 and the difference between them and the $20 ones was insignificant. I personally have 2 sets of the $20 dollar ones and they absolutely work fine. The price difference would be best spent on ammo or towards another gun in my opinion.
Last edited by redfestiva on November 6th, 2007, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hearing Protection

Post by anjdrifter »

got mine from Harbor frieght love em . just as good as thye 100 lus brands
torpeau

Hearing Protection

Post by torpeau »

I got these Harbor Freight Electronic Hearing Protectors and took them to the range along with the basic Peltor Optime 105 muffs I had been using. The HFs only have an NRR rating of 24, while the Peltors have a 29 rating and that's better. I could hear conversation better with the HFs, but they allowed more of the boom to get thru, so I soon switched back to the Peltors.

My ears have been ringing since the '60s when I forgot to bring my Lee-Sonic plugs with me and fired a friend's Gold Cup Colt. Those Lee-Sonics seemed to work pretty well, but I guess they are no longer available.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
dwd

Hearing Protection

Post by dwd »

My son likes to wear the ear muffs for hearing protection. And I like for him to wear safety glasses as well. But they don't work well together. Any suggestions?
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
robhdpdx

Hearing Protection

Post by robhdpdx »

dwd,
If you don't mind the cost, you can invest in some Wiley-X protective eyewear for him. The set they issued me for the sandbox came with a setup to wear them like goggles by removing the part that goes behind your ears and replacing it with a snap-in elastic band. The elastic band can be stretched over the top part of the back of your head, giving you a full seal and eliminating the discomfort. Unfortunately for me, I lost the strap from mine! The whole setup with extra lenses and case can be found on ebay for $30-$75.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Hearing Protection

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Redfestiva, thank you for the posting, will stop by Harbor freight tomorrow night on my way home.
Thanks again,
G.R.