Range with new P64

Info, pictures, advice...
rinao272

Range with new P64

Post by rinao272 »

Bad day at black rock. :'(

I was in a hurry to get it to the range I skiped cleaning it.

Had two FTF and FTE. Had a hard time getting the mags out after the FTE. Plus my middle right finger is healing up from a burn, which was not helped my the sharp recoil.

That DA is somthing else, as everone knows.

Tried using the left trigger finger to help the right trigger finger. The slide got part of my thumb.

OK plan B. ;D

Give the 64 a good cleaning and wait for my burn to heal and then back to the range.

It will get better. Well try again in a couple of weeks.

When I get things worked out, I will carry and thumb back the hammer.

Thank You for all your help.

Do you think this is just a cleaning problem ???
cruiser

Range with new P64

Post by cruiser »

Get a pair of shooting gloves or thin leather gloves.
tunnelrat

Range with new P64

Post by tunnelrat »

Get a pair of shooting gloves or thin leather gloves.
Yup, Somebody on this forum suggested shooting gloves. I tried a pair and can report that they make a big difference in comfort.
valkyrie0002

Range with new P64

Post by valkyrie0002 »

I cleaned mine and changed the mainsprings before I shot them. Dry firing with the stock mainspring was very painful after a dozen pulls of the trigger.

Spring change makes a huge difference. Recoil is not a problem for me.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range with new P64

Post by abwehr »

I use gloves sometime myself. I have a pair of thin leather driving gloves that fit my hand like a pair of jeans on a teenager and they do make a difference. I guess I have been lucky and never had a pistol "bite" my hand. I know many folks that must have a Beavertail grip safety on their .45 ACP to stop the "bite" in the web of their hand. A smaller pistol like the P-64 can do this too.
onapar

Range with new P64

Post by onapar »

Like minds think alike,
I picked up a pair of shooting gloves last week and along with 14 pound hammer spring my little P-64 is a delight. :)
mongo

Range with new P64

Post by mongo »

I'm not being a dick or anything but why are you guys having such a hard time with this pistol? I have shot 100 rounds out of it (I admit only 50 at a time) and haven't gotten bit, sore, slapped, pinched or otherwise hurt.

I just don't get what you guys are doing that you need gloves and such.
jbailey

Range with new P64

Post by jbailey »

Rinao272 - What ammo were you using? And had you fired that ammo before? Lack of cleaning can create FTE with some ammo, but not likely FTC. My 63 years young hands are recoil sensitive, and with all three of my Mak-chambered pistols (PA-63, Imez Mak, and P-64) I shoot only the 92 or 95 grain stuff. The heavier stuff is a real "ouch" for me, particularly in the alloy framed PA-63!

My only reason for shooting with gloves is to make sure I can do it when walking my dogs on a cold Ohio winter night, LOL!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range with new P64

Post by abwehr »

Most of my glove wear is in the colder time of the year, but once in a while in the summer, my hads get sweaty and I wear them to keep it off the firearm.

I have a friend that gets bitten by his .45 ACP all the time and I can't figure out why. I told him to reposition his hand on the grip, but it did'nt seem to help him. He always carries Band-Aides to the range so if anyone else get a cut for some reason, he is the "go to guy" for first aid.

As to the FTF and FTE, the first thing is to clean all the preservative oil off the pistol. This oil is for preservation and does not appear to have a lubricating quality. Relube with your favorite oil or grease. You may want to polish the feed ramp, but so far I have not heard af anyones pistol that required this to feed. I don't understand why extraction is the problem unless the lack of lube is part of the problem.

To find the problem, do one thing at a time until the problems are solved and then you will know what is going on. If you try several thing at one time you won't which solution worked for you. Here is my recommendation:
1. Field strip, look for any nicks and burrs, remove any Burrs, clean well, lube as you normally do for any pistol.
2. Polish feed ramp
3. Try another magazine
4. Not sure after 1-3 above? They mostly feed and extract great.

Keep us posted and good luck on the next trip out!
mongo

Range with new P64

Post by mongo »

I can see having a glove for the sweaty hands and such but there are people acting like they are shooting a Dan Wesson .44 mag here.
butch50

Range with new P64

Post by butch50 »

Pain tolerance is a peculiar and individual thing. Some folks are born with dampened nerve endings and some are born with "raw" nerve endings. I have a pretty high pain tolerance - walked around on a broken ankle for two weeks once before it swole up so bad that I had it x-rayed. My brother on the other hand is just the opposite.

I think it is primarily hereditary.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range with new P64

Post by abwehr »

On the subject of gloves.....I like to see the guys that want to look like Rambo or some SWAT Team at the range. Most of us older guys just watch and laugh when they have a difficult time finding the target, much less hitting it, LOL

Then there are the guys with SWAT gloves and they hold the pistol sideways. I have never understood what the heck that hold does for you???????
xelloss

Range with new P64

Post by xelloss »

On the subject of gloves.....I like to see the guys that want to look like Rambo or some SWAT Team at the range. Most of us older guys just watch and laugh when they have a difficult time finding the target, much less hitting it, LOL

Then there are the guys with SWAT gloves and they hold the pistol sideways. I have never understood what the heck that hold does for you???????
That whole side-ways gun thing ticks me off too, abwehr... Don't quite get it either... Gotta admit, though, that I have a pair of the SWAT gloves (Blackhawk SOLAG gloves)... :-[ :-[ :-[ They are very nice when shooting in colder weather, but usually forgo them in spring/summer shoots...

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range with new P64

Post by abwehr »

Yes, gloves are needed in the Winter; even in the South! I have been at the range on a cold day and hands were so cold, I could feel nothing. After that trip, a pair of brown cotton gloves are always in my shooting box.
mikethewreck

Range with new P64

Post by mikethewreck »

I think the sideways thing is for "spray and pray" where you use the natural muzzle climb to sweep the muzzle across your target. Not effective IMHO.