Anyone Fired Pow'rBall Yet??

Info, pictures, advice...
manwithagun

Post by manwithagun »

Just curious if anyone fed CorBon PowRball to the P-64 yet. I'm sure it is robust enough to take the punishment. Just wondering about accuracy, recoil, muzzle flash, etc...
Am I correct that PowRball exits at around 1200 FPS? That would be pretty impressive in a 9x18.
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

I too would be interested in people's experience with Pow'rBall. It is just out of my price range if I were to pick up a couple of boxes and test fire. Also, if the rounds are lower grain, would that effect proper feeding? Thanks.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I ran 10 rounds over a chronograph and measured an average velocity of 1348 fps. Cor-Bon does understate their velocities. The recoil is light, it makes a pretty loud bang.

I also shot some into wetpack - soaked newspapers. The results are best compared relative to other 9x18 rounds:

PowR'Ball 70-grain: 4 1/2"
Hornady 95-grain: 4 3/4"
Brown Bear 115-grain: 6"
Barnaul 95-grain: 4 3/4", fragmented into 2 pieces
RAM 95-grain: 4 1/2"
Cor-Bon 95-grain: 5 1/4", fragmented into 2 pieces

So it shows slightly less relative penetration, but you should have seen the impressive size of the entry "wound".

It's expensive to test and that's the downside to using this ammunition. I would recommend testing 100 or more rounds of anything you want to depend on, and in the case of PowR'Ball that gets a bit spendy.
Last edited by nbender on September 18th, 2007, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I forgot to say those tests were performed with a Bulgarian Makarov. With the shorter P-64 barrel subtract some 50 fps.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I've shot enought of it to feel good about it. Yes its expensive, but thats what I carry in my P-64 for "close encounters". Never had a problem with it feeding. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay Bender, was the Brown Bear FMJ or JHP ammo? That six inches of penetration is looking pretty good next to other brands.
G.R.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

That would be HP Gr - all those rounds fired in comparison were HP.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I find that powrball is the most devestating cartridge I've ever personally used. I've tried it with 9mm, 9mm Mak and .40. This is far from scientific, but we shot milk jugs or laundry jugs filled with water with the tops taped on. With the FMJ, Glasers and JHP's, you got a hole--a little bigger hole with the JHP's and Glasers. With the powrball the thing explodes. Again, I know this is far from scientific, but it seems to me that the powrball produces so much more shock, if nothing else, and that seems to equate to stopping power to me.

Both of P-64's feed the powrball reliability and accurately. It's what I load up with when I carry.

Again, just my opinion.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I keep PowrBall ammo in my P-64 when I carry! What "devlinfaust" stated is FACT! This stuff is great for personal protection. I highly recommend it.

I know it is costly, but just to be on the safe side, try some out in your weapon before you depend on for protection; some firearms are finicky, but my P-64s shootit fine.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I have a rd hammer & a tri hammer that are put away. But the one I carry & the one in the truck shoot the ammo just fine.