Another New Toy

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Another New Toy

Post by papabear »

For me this is a drastic departure from my usual interest, just a couple years ago I would have never thought about buying something like this but my interest have swayed a bit since joining this board, and that's a good thing. Opportunity came knocking this week and I have learned from my past that opportunity usually only knocks once, so I grabbed a deal that I couldn't pass up. I have to thank one of our members [b52Stan] for a heads up about this pistol, and originally I had to pass because I had just gotten the BHP, and that took a hunk out of my pocket [at least for me] at the time.

Anyway, I how have a Taurus Millennium PRO PT145 DAO [.45acp] with more safety features than I can mention. I have been a .45acp fan since the 50's and the idea of having a .45acp pistol that weighed only 23oz [empty] and could carry 10+1 rds of .45acp and be only 6" long and 5" tall really turned me on, plus the price delivered was under $350. Can't wait to get it to the range, the recoil is not supposed to be that bad because of the 11 degree angle of the grip ie., same as the 1911A1's, etc etc, I'll give a range report ASAIC.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
volfandan

Another New Toy

Post by volfandan »

nice looking pistol, papa! I hadn't even heard of it. I guess I'm not up on all the newer pistols these days....but regardless, it sure is handsome. Let us know how she shoots.
slackone

Another New Toy

Post by slackone »

I've been looking at the MilPro 145s pretty seriously as a big CCW. Got a question...

Since yours has an accessory rail, I think that means it's a third generation 145. I've heard conflicting reports that the 3rd gen 145s moved to a trigger that's just like the larger Taurus 24/7 pistols. The 24/7 isn't DAO, it's SA/DA.

The test...rack the slide on an empty chamber, and pull the trigger. If it's like the 24/7, it should be a light-ish pull. Now, without racking the slide, pull the trigger again. It should be heavier now, as it's pulling doing a full DA trigger pull. Taurus made this semi-bass-ackwards trigger scheme so that they could have a striker-fired pistol with true second-strike ability on a stiff primer.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another New Toy

Post by himmel »

I've said it before--Taurus is a top-drawer pistol manufacturer without the top-drawer prices...
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another New Toy

Post by garry »

Looks Pretty Kewl Papabear ! 10 rounds of .45 cal. is about like chucking bowling balls at someone ! lol How wide is it? is it under an inch and a quarter? I like skinny guns for the feel but have not shot any larger grips. It looks lightweight also. I have a box of .45 LC and it weighs more than two bricks. I feel sorry for the horses that carried the man that carried the boxes that carried those heavy bullets ! You'd need a train of packmules just to carry a spare thousand rounds. hahaha
G
Last edited by garry on September 14th, 2007, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Another New Toy

Post by papabear »

slackone,

I believe this one is a second generation Taurus Mil Pro, as for the trigger, it has the trigger safety and a self-engaging firing pin block; so when caring with one in the tube and the pistol is dropped it won't go off. When you press on the trigger it releases the safety on the trigger and the firing pin block. Before I bought it, I check what you mentioned about the trigger, with the pistol empty I racked the slide and tested the trigger, for the first shot, it has a slightly long pull but not heavy at all and smooth, for the second shot it's much shorter and still light and smooth, for a DAO it very nice, I really like it so far, haven't shot it yet, everything else about it I really like.

Gary,

The width of the slide and the grip is 1", length is 6" and height is 5", it fits in my front pocket nicely, and because there are no sharp edges, there is nothing to sang, I can pull it our with ease. I'm telling you now, this thing is capable of opening up a big can of whoop A*#.

papabear.
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Another New Toy

Post by devlinfaust »

Nice piece, papabear! I've always liked the Millennium. I think you got a real bargain.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Another New Toy

Post by carguy »

That is AWESOME!!

I frequent a website called Downrange.tv and the owner has TV shows and radio broadcasts etc. I recently listened to one of his radio broadcasts via the web (taped) and it was all about 45s. He rated bunches by price category and the Millenium was one that came highly rated! I am very interested in your range report...now I wonder if it is available (Mass compliant) in my neck of the woods!

Good luck and have fun!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Another New Toy

Post by papabear »

That is AWESOME!!

I frequent a website called Downrange.tv and the owner has TV shows and radio broadcasts etc. I recently listened to one of his radio broadcasts via the web (taped) and it was all about 45s. He rated bunches by price category and the Millenium was one that came highly rated! I am very interested in your range report...now I wonder if it is available (Mass compliant) in my neck of the woods!

Good luck and have fun!
Carguy,

You could always come to KY for a visit, the lodging and eats would be free, and as long as you are in KY a private citizen that is a resident of KY can sell you a pistol, Ky is a free state, we not bound by frilly dillie gun laws. Here, if the call in is OK you leave with the pistol the same day, but in the case of a private citizen selling a gun there are no call in's. You need to get away for a couple days and see what the rest of the world is like. Be advised, we have "sweet tea" and buttermilk on the menu at my house.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Another New Toy

Post by carguy »

I appreciate the offer (you'd be in trouble with the free food part...I'm a big boy :D). Sweet tea...maybe...buttermilk...only if it is in pancakes or has chicken dipped in it prior to frying!! :-/

I can do a similar transaction as you've described in other closer states (just not as fun as you wouldn't be there :P) but to be legal it would need to be transfered through an FFL (Federal law prohibits the sale/transfer of handguns inter state without the use of an FFL) so I'd be a felon once I brought it into Mass (because Mass law has the old compliance list for FFL sales or transfers).

Maybe you could loan me one or have me store it for you? Nope, no way around the law. :'(

But I truly appreciate the offer of room and board for a visit!! I'm going to take one of you guys up someday in my travels and at least meet up for coffee, "sweet tea" or a beer (maybe if I'm in the right spot some..."shine")!

Can't wait for that range report!!

I just checked the "Approved List" from the AG's office and low and behold...the Taurus brand doesn't even appear on it at all!! I did check out the Taurus website and saw the PT145 listed for $422...you got a good deal! I will have to live vicariously through your range report... ;)
Last edited by carguy on September 14th, 2007, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Another New Toy

Post by papabear »

carguy,

I understand you legally couldn't take it back to Mass, and wouldn't expect you to, but you could come for a visit and legally shoot them down here. We got plenty of food now that the kids are all gone, and mom likes to fix big meals, I think we can handle you ok.

The buttermilk is for cornbread, pancakes and Italian cream cake, fried pone, and breading for fried meatloaf and makings for batter, but on a hot day a cold glass of buttermilk and some cold fried chicken, yummm yummm and then crumble some cornbread in a glass and pour buttermilk over it, or take a cold biscuit with some butter on it and pour sorghum over it.....uh huh, now thats what I'm talking about, make you want to smack your momma......... ;D ;D

I never could figure out how ya'll made your tea, something about a tea party and throwing it in the bay.........if you say so, but man, that sounds like a lot of trouble to me, and I'm really not to sure about drinking from the bay.....yuck..... :'(........ ;D ;D

later tater,

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 14th, 2007, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Another New Toy

Post by carguy »

SORGHUM... ??? Fried PONE... ??? ???

Thanks for your generous offer...but I'm afraid of what sorghum and pone are... :'(
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Another New Toy

Post by bzinggg »

Sorghum molassis and corn pone.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another New Toy

Post by himmel »

Forget the pone--Sorghum syrup belongs on biscuits, or maybe pancakes... :D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Another New Toy

Post by papabear »

himmel,

I was just describing what all we use buttermilk for, I have never put sorghum molasses on pone, pone is fried cornbread, great with ham and beans and some onion.

carguy,

You need to get a life and get out of Mass for awhile........ ;D nothing ventured nothing gained. I realize our life styles and habits are different but try something new and different and enjoy life to it fullest, your only going to get one chance at life in this world "Big Guy".......... :) I'll get you a range report as soon as I can.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 15th, 2007, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER