Ordering one now

Info, pictures, advice...
milsurpcop

Ordering one now

Post by milsurpcop »

After nearly two years of studying them, I am finally ordering the P-64 and PA-63. I almost just ordered two P-64's, but I changed my mind. I posted part of this in another forum, so sorry if you read this already.
I was wanting opinions on which size Wolff springs to order for them. I also plan to order the trigger return and slide stop spring. I'm also going go research the the mods and fixes on this site. I am a police officer and the P-64 may be my new off-duty carry gun. I love my Kel-Tec but I like the punch of the 9X18 and the size of the P-64. I finally handled one last fall and that sealed the deal. I now have the $ for both plus springs, holsters, ammo, ect.... Any advise or additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by trent »

congrats on your purchase, the p64 is a great carry gun, although quite heavier than the kel-tec it is very well built which means it can take whatever conditions you throw at it. A word to start you off (you probably know already from your research) you don't really want to shoot any ammo over 95 grains in the p64 and especially the pa63. and don't order several thousand rounds of a type of ammo until you know your guns like it.
milsurpcop

Ordering one now

Post by milsurpcop »

I read some really positive comments on Silver Bear 94 gr HP's and the Hornady XTP. I guess I'll just have to try them all!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ordering one now

Post by carguy »

Silver Bear is good stuff...I've never had a feeding problem with it or any 9x18 ammo I've fed my P-64 (Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Sellier & Bellot, MFS, Barnul).

I like the Sellier & Bellot best. I find it the cleanest. I do not shoot Wolf ammo in anything I own.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome milsurpcop, the only rounds that I've consistantly had problems feeding in mine has been the Hornady XTP. On initial loading the cartridge has been jamming on the feed ramp. When that happens that round ends up unusable, the set back that occurs is 1/16-1/8 inch. When they load they shoot great and are accurate as anything else I've shot. But like I said, I've got 5 or 6 rounds that wouldn't climb the ramp. Needless to say, they aren't my carry ammo anymore. I've gone to Gold Dots loaded by Stars and Stripes, almost out of theirs, and Georgia Arms, who have better pricing, high by most standards, but reasonable to me for being Gold Dots. I believe they were $40.50 shipped for 100 rounds.
The following is from a post back in May 07, I've since put an additional 200 rounds thru. This is the spring set up I'm currently using on my first 64.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 772&page=2
The only others that I've ran through mine have been Winchester and some Barnaul 95gr HP.

I only have had one failure to feed on the CCI aluminum cased, that was in the first 75 rounds fired. It was in the 3rd mag of that ammo and the 4th round of the mag. Have since run 75 more of the same ammo with no issues.

Did have an initial load of Hornady not feed into the chamber, not sure if it was just dirty, didn't clean after 125+, or if I need to polish up the feed ramp a little. It did manage to shorten up the overall length of that round by about an 1/8 of an inch. Needless to say, that one won't be fired!!

Total of approx. 265 rounds fired so far. The last 145 round were with the 22# recoil spring and firingpin spring combo, and the 20# hammer(main) spring.

Didn't notice that much of a change in recoil, just didn't seem to nip in the web between the thumb and index finger. The D/A decreased enough to were I can always pull through it completely everytime, yet when I let my 11 yr son dryfire it, he needs to use 2-3 fingers to pull through. My D/A accuracy had also improved from high and right 6'', to right to were I'm aiming from 5-7 yards out.
Last edited by manicmechanic on September 11th, 2007, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ordering one now

Post by carguy »

Which brand had the conical shaped bullet. I remember reading that many had feeding problems with that ammo. Was that WOLF? Someone will post it, that one should be one to watch out for as I recall lots of issues with that brand.

And WOLF has a reputation for quality issues. There may be some members that disagree...one in particular whose opinion I respect immensely but I just continue to refuse to use it.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ordering one now

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Generally I agree with you about the Wolf ammo, however, my Star BM loves the Wolf 115gr 9mm stuff, all the other brands I have to use 124gr or I get stove pipe jams..... ???.... In my other 9mm's [CZ75 P-01 & BHP] I don't shoot Wolf ammo.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ordering one now

Post by carguy »

Not to be argumentative but...why not shoot it in your other firearms if it fine for your Star...isn't it good enough for your other fine weapons? Hmmmmmm? Is there a problem that you don't "trust" it maybe in your other weapons?? ??? ;D ??? ;D
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by himmel »

congrats on your purchase, the p64 is a great carry gun, although quite heavier than the kel-tec it is very well built which means it can take whatever conditions you throw at it. A word to start you off (you probably know already from your research) you don't really want to shoot any ammo over 95 grains in the p64 and especially the pa63. and don't order several thousand rounds of a type of ammo until you know your guns like it.
Hey, thanks for the reminder--one of my gunshops here just got a big batch of Wolf 100-grain 9x18 for something like $11 a box-- was thinking about buying some, but I was leery about the weight, and you confirmed my suspicions...guess I'll wait for something else to come along... :)
milsurpcop

Ordering one now

Post by milsurpcop »

Thanks for the ammo info. I'll start with the Silver Bear HP. How 'bout Wolff spring sizes? What does everyone prefer?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by trent »

I'm still scrounging around, trying different stuff. What I've used the most is silverbear 94grain. Norinco "Green box" is really good ammo as well. When I carry It's loaded with hornady hp's although I only have 20 rounds (I carry 19 normally) I don't want to fire them (once I find some more I'll shoot some) but they rack fine in my 64, I used 1 box of Seller and bellot and it functioned well, but can't justify paying for more when others preform the same for cheaper.

p.s. sometimes people around here will be talking about the CZAK, which is a polish nick name for the p64 (I believe it's pronounced like "chak" or "chuck")
Last edited by trent on September 11th, 2007, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slackone

Ordering one now

Post by slackone »

It must be pretty close to "chuck"...I did a search on Czak on Google, and ended up with a bunch of Chuck Norris sites :D

Hornady XTPs wouldn't feed through my gun when the mag springs were still stiff when they were the first round in the mag. The spring was stiff enough that it was pointing the HP's mouth directly at the feed ramp instead at a slightly upward angle, causing the mouth to bite the ramp pretty hard. Didn't maul the round any, but that was before my Wolff recoil spring. This is OK, since I like to alternate ball and HPs in my magazines, so I just lead off with a ball round (ballowpoint?). The XTPs feed fine from any other position in the mag, and I'm betting now that my springs are a little more "vintage", that they'd probably feed off the top...something to try at the next range trip. I think I may end up trying some Gold Dots though...the XTP is apparently a reliable expander, but their penetration in 9x18 isn't stellar.

I'm running a 22 pound recoil and a 19 pound Wolff hammer spring, along with the stiffer firing pin spring. The 22 pound spring tames recoil really well, but you may have to grind the ends of the springs a little to make it easier to field strip your gun...when it was new, I had to push the tip of the slide against the edge of a table to get the slide back into position to snap onto the frame. The 19 pound hammer spring is a considerable change from the factory spring...one for the positive. In retrospect, however, I wish I had just went with Wolff's spring pack with the 17, 18, and 19 to give them all a whirl. Ah well.

Have fun!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ordering one now

Post by devlinfaust »

Milsurpcop,

I've got two 1968 P-64's, and the only ammo I've had any trouble with was the Hornady. It's not a frequent jam, perhaps one in ten or one in 12, or so, but enough to disqualify it from self-defense use. I know silver-bear is cheap, but I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I've also used norinco, brown bear and S & B with good results. I have shot much Wolf through these pistols, and while I've had no difficulties with the 9mm Mak in Wolf, others on this board have, and I have had a bunch of problems with Wolf in .40, so I'd have reservations about recommending the Wolf ammo to anyone at this time.

I've got the Wolff spring packages and are happy with them. If you are new to P-64, I'd advise getting them, because before I got the knack of shooting these great little pistols and also before putting in the springs, they bit my hand. At first, I could not shoot an entire mag unless I wore gloves. I found (through this message board) that I was holding the pistol too tight, and that information helped a lot--so did those Wolff springs. No problems now.

Contrats on your purchase, I think you'll be satisfied with the size, power, reliability and accuracy of the P-64. I know that I am.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ordering one now

Post by carguy »

milsurpcop

I installed the 18# trigger spring and 20# recoil spring. When it functioned it was GREAT! B ut I seem to have regular issues with the 20# recoil spring. The slide regularly gets stuck open and I literally have to beat on the top of the slide to get it to break free. I have since gone back to the original recoil spring and not had a problem since except for the harder recoil. I love what the 18# trigger spring has done! ;D

I definitely recommend that you try different springs to see what works and is comfortable for you. Juyst becaus emine had issues doesn't mean anyone else's will.

Good luck with it.
ugreg15

Ordering one now

Post by ugreg15 »

I just bought my first P64 last weekend. I picked up a box of Wolf at the gun show and haven't shot it yet, but I have had issues with Wolf ammo in my 1911. Looks like there is a lot of good information on this board for a new P64 owner to have.