Focusing on your sights

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Focusing on your sights

Post by papabear »

himmel,

That is why I added that practice is essential, over and over, I practice it every time I go shooting, I have done it for years now. It is second nature to me now, both eyes open, point and shoot. I can post 3" groups with my P-64's that way out to 10 yards, but it took a lot of practice.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by devlinfaust »

By the way, I did try that appiture (I think that's what it's called) that puts a 'ghost ring' around your vision, and it did help considerably. The problem is that it is a big hassle to use. It was OK for very relaxed target work where you have a lot of time to get your sight picture in and get the damned thing adjusted. Worth a try, though, if that's the type of shooting you want to do.

I believe that both Sportsman's Guide and CheaperThanDirt carry them. About $25 or so, if memory (which, like my vision is not as good as it used to be) serves.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Focusing on your sights

Post by carguy »

Is the appiture a little like scope type sticky thing that goes on lens (eye glasses)? I've seen a shooter with one several times and never had the chance to ask what the heck that was. I honestly wasn't sure if it was specifically for shooting or if he had a really "interesting" vision problem.

What is it exactly, what does it do...how does it help??
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by bzinggg »

Aperture, noun. An opening; a hole; gap

Last edited by bzinggg on August 18th, 2007, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Focusing on your sights

Post by carguy »

No...I know that little hole thing for aiming but someone mentioned something I thought was a little device that sticks to the lens of your eyeglasses to aid in your aiming. I thought maybe that was referenced as an appeture.

I have to see if I can find the guy at my range on Sundays and ask him. I just thought that is what it might be called. It is a round (smaller than a dime size base) that is conical with the wide end stuck on the lens and the narrow end aiming downrange. There is a bulbous lens on the range end and I think there must be something on the other end as well.

Oh well if I ever find out I post.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by bzinggg »

Oh, I think I remember something like that advertised in a magazine I saw years ago. You mean you are trying to come up with the brand name of the gadget. I see.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by blinddog »

Yeah, I can point shoot my 1911-A1 pretty good, But my P-64 needs some working on. I'm talking about 10 to 12 ft. and thats pretty much my range. My 64 gets shot more now than my .45. It kinda feels left out.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by devlinfaust »

Carguy,

I haven't seen that suction cup one (cheaper) for a while. The 'glasses' one is where you have two lenses that clip onto your glasses, a lot like the 'flip up' sun glaasses lenses. Except with these, they are totally opaque on one side, and the other side is, as well, except for the apeture--the little round hole, you actually see through, and it is adjustable to four different settings. I have used both of these in the past.

Both work, but the suction cup one will sometimes come off (invariably at the worst time) and you have to fool with it on your glasses, dirtying them. The better choice is the 'flip up' sunglasses- type version. However, with that one, you have to readjust the 'magnification' (really, how big a hole you want) fairly frequently.

Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt both have the 'sunglasses type' of apetrure. But Sportsman's Guide 'hides' the listing pretty well, but you might find it in the shooting catalog. Cheaper than Dirt has it for $23.97 on the website, listed "pro-optic sight aid" by HyScore.

No 'fast acquistion' with those things, but when I was target shooting with open sights, had plent of time and patience they did work for me. Beware, you will look like a Borg from Star Trek. Of course, when it comes to getting older 'resistance is futile', I'm afraid.

I wish that there was an easier fix.

Hope this is helpful.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by dolang1 »

Papabear, I went to the range Sunday and tried some of that both eyes open shooting with scarey results. I don't know where my bullets were going, but my targets came back clean. I only shot one mag that way. I'm going back soon with bigger targets. I also found the "point shooting" article very interesting. I'll be back next week with better results . Later Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by himmel »

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as "point shooting", but I had pretty good results at a police training range once with my Mak and my Nagant-- I held the gun at the level I thought the targets would be at relative to my height (a little less than chest height usually) and pointed it straight at the target-- I didn't really use the sights at all, just kind of eyeballed and figured how high up the target was and held the pistol level at that height. Had better success that way than with trying to sight down the barrel to the target thru the sights. Obviously we're talking short range here, 25 feet or closer...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by himmel »

BTW, it occurs to me that if you could learn to shoot one-handed, side on to the target, you would present a much smaller target yourself to a bad guy--any thoughts??
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by devlinfaust »

Papabear:

I found that article on point shooting fascinating, and tried it out this weekend at the range. The picture below (I hope) shows 20 shots hit and that was 100% with my CZ-82 at 3 to 5 yards, shooting volleys of two or three, no aiming. No glasses, by the way. I always shot the first shot from double action, pulled as though I were cross drawing, and fired. I was stunned by how well the CZ-82 did with this! I tried it with my P-64, CZ-52 and Beretta 92FS, and only got about 50% to 68% hits in the panel.

By the way, I didn't shoot the shirt. It is a size medium and there in the background for comparison.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by anjdrifter »

That was neat reading Papabear.. even Kurt called yesterday and we talking about it.. he is like us... center mass shooting ....
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by garry »

Hey Carguy ! Is this what you were after?
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by garry »

or this type maybe?
http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Shoot ... s-ss7.html
also at the bottom of that page , click for the next page number for more... These all look pretty interesting but i sure hope there are cheaper brands that don't Crush/Slam/Nuke the billfold? G