Focusing on your sights

Use this section for all other firearms
drogers

Focusing on your sights

Post by drogers »

I tried shotting my CZ82's today and found that I could not focus on the front sight. They are stock metal sights. I wear Varilux progressive lenses. I see pretty well with these glasses, but once I am outdoors at the range my focus shifts to the target and I am not able to bring the front sight into focus. I can focus on the sight well when indoors at home. Other than only shooting indoors, does anyone have any ideas?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Focusing on your sights

Post by carguy »

Send me your CZ-82s...you just can't shoot them anymore. I will of course reimburse you the cost of shipping. ;D

I wouldn't do this for just anyone but a P64 member in trouble, I will always help.

8~)
Last edited by carguy on August 14th, 2007, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Focusing on your sights

Post by normsutton »

drogers

This may sound wackie
I couldn't see the front sight on my rifles and hand guns ether when I focus on the target, if I focus on the target couldn't see the front sight. so I tried some 200 power reading glasses and now I can ,
you can get reading glasses from 5 to 20 dollars at drug stores

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 14th, 2007, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
drogers

Focusing on your sights

Post by drogers »

Norm,
I can't figure out why I focus fine when indoors and yet outdoors it is like I am wearing different glasses. Uncorrected my distance vision is very bad, The barn would have to be bright red to see it only with reading glasses.
Don
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by anjdrifter »

two things just focus on the sights and forget the target being clear. but if it does it anyway use Norms idea. I have bifocals and while not as bad as you describe it does happen. when I accidentally used my working/detail glasses from the drug store I shot really good and was sighting in faster dah when I realized what I did I was amazed. didn't find out till I tried to drive I had wrong glasses on.. now if any one laughs at this this is what is in store for you
Last edited by anjdrifter on August 14th, 2007, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by bzinggg »

Presbyopia. It's a responsive malady corelating to the imbalance of elastin/elastase in the tissues as we humans age, making the muscles that operate in the iris and lens area of the eye stiffer, thereby narrowing the parameters of focal adjustment. Some people suffer the effects more than others. It's maddening to shooters. On a rifle, like an '03A3 or an M1 Garand, the peep or aperture sight is much easier to use and helps this problem for me a great deal. I can shoot them without reading glasses. The scout scope setup eleminates the problem altogether. On a pistol, especially with open sights, I have to use the bifocal part of my reading glasses and focus on the sights, which makes any target a little blurred especially out past 10 feet and progressively worse the further away it is. The critical part of being able to put my shots in the 10-ring requires that I use the reading glasses, though, so I can see the sights of my pistol very clearly.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by garry »

hmmmph ! I just bought the P-64 because it pointed "Naturally" . Who needs sights? lol
G
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by bzinggg »

hmmmph?

Standing, off-handed.
Last edited by bzinggg on August 15th, 2007, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by devlinfaust »

drogers:

This may or may not be good news for you. I have had the same problem, and very quickly it got to the point that it didn't matter whether or not I was in low light or bright light. Of course, I had glasses by then, with progressive lenses, but it didn't help my shooting. It was either I could barely make out the target and see the sights well, or I could see the target fine but the sights were just a blur. At one point, I almost gave up plinking and resolved just to do self-defense (draw and shoot) and scope shooting stuff.

But things got worse and got better. When my eyesight deteriorated to where I needed a new prescription--lo and behold, I could shoot again. Don't misunderstand me, it's not like when I was 45 and needed no glasses, as there is still a bit of blur on the target with my present (stronger) glasses, but it's much better now.

Just wait till your eyesight gets worse, then it'll get better! Maybe.....

By the way I talked with an optomestrist about this. He said laser surgery wouldn't help at all, and didn't know of anything that would for sure. He said that an artifical eye lense had been developed but the costs were sky high and there were no guarantees, so he didn't recommend it. He said that he has tried working all sorts of things with middle aged (note I didn't say elderly) cops, and nothing he tried in the way of lenses worked for visual problems.

Such a pity that youth has to be wasted on the young.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Focusing on your sights

Post by papabear »

Having been on a pistol team for several years, in my younger years, I learned to shoot with with both eyes open when taking aim. It does take practice to do this. Now that I wear glasses, mostly for reading, I usually take my glasses off for shooting, however, for self-defense shooting I point shoot, and this takes practice to. I don't have the problem of not being able to see both rear sight and front sight and target, but for those that do and if practiced enough, point shooting for self-defense and target shooting at 5-10 yards is a option for those that have problems seeing the front sight and the target at the same time. Point shooting works for me and on a good day I can usually have 3" groups at 10 yards. I usually shoot 9" paper plates for self-defense shooting, but also use the standard 8"x11" target too.

Here is a site that explains Point Shooting and P&S shooting.

http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by himmel »

Hey bzinggg--maybe you should post that pic in the P64 photo contest thread :)
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by dolang1 »

I've seen something that clips to your glasses. I think it might make your glasses a peep sight. Anything to that or is it just something to sell. Later Don
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Focusing on your sights

Post by bzinggg »

Hey bzinggg--maybe you should post that pic in the P64 photo contest thread :)
It's too danged long ago or I would! ;D.

Devlinfaust described it to a tee as it affects me, and it's a pita, let me tell you. Sure, I know my pistols and I can point and shoot fairly well, even with my Microcompact .45. But, I like to place them on the button, especially when shooting the 9x18s.
I'm a stickler for placement, and think it applies especially to ones responsibility to avoid collateral damage when shooting in a personal protection situation. At 10 or 15 yards, I still have no problem keeping them pretty tight if I use the glasses to keep the sights focused sharply. Any further and I would in good conscience have to go for center mass only, or maybe decline the shot at my own risk, depending.

It's not good that a guy may have to do all this calculating when suddenly up against it :-/, if you know what I mean.
drogers

Focusing on your sights

Post by drogers »

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. I got some good ideas to try and gained a little more insight into what may be happening. I appreciate the link to point shooting.
Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Focusing on your sights

Post by himmel »

Having been on a pistol team for several years, in my younger years, I learned to shoot with with both eyes open when taking aim. It does take practice to do this. Now that I wear glasses, mostly for reading, I usually take my glasses off for shooting, however, for self-defense shooting I point shoot, and this takes practice to. I don't have the problem of not being able to see both rear sight and front sight and target, but for those that do and if practiced enough, point shooting for self-defense and target shooting at 5-10 yards is a option for those that have problems seeing the front sight and the target at the same time. Point shooting works for me and on a good day I can usually have 3" groups at 10 yards. I usually shoot 9" paper plates for self-defense shooting, but also use the standard 8"x11" target too.

Here is a site that explains Point Shooting and P&S shooting.

http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

papabear

Thanks for the link, Papa! I'm reading it now--noted with some sorrow that it says small frame semi-autos like the Makarov yield poor results... :'(