New P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
onapar

New P-64

Post by onapar »

Hi All I am new to the forum I picked up my P-64 yesterday with three mags for 170 bucks.
I have not cleaned or lubed it yet, the thing is I can't pull the trigger in double action it is so stiff. In single action it is smoother than my Makarov.
I have been prowling this site since I found out about the P-64 and decided to get one so I am hoping that changing out the hammer spring and the recoil spring will help with trigger pull. Today I will clean and lube it and get to the range as soon as posible.
Best to all from Arizona
Onapar
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New P-64

Post by abwehr »

onapar,

Welcome to the P-64 Forum!!!!

Yep, you have found out about the double action trigger pull and the great single action pull. I rarely ever use double action, so this is no problem with me, but changing the spring will definelty help. Keep us posted on your range results and PLEASE come often for all your reports and questions.

We now have a lot of information on the website about the pistol and we have several gentelemen from Poland that are providing us with information we would have never know without them.
onapar

New P-64

Post by onapar »

Thanks for the warm welcome,from what I have seen and read here I am happy to become part of this community.
nscale

New P-64

Post by nscale »

Welcome onapar,
I ran into a gunsmith at a gun show yesterday and he gave me some advice on improving the DA pull. He suggested using a degreasing gun cleaner on the hammer/sear parts and getting all oil off of them. He said to dry fire the pistol about a zillion times and the result will be burnishing the parts. He suggested re-cleaning with the cleaner as you go to cleanout any microscopic metal particales.
Just be sure to remove the grips because the gun cleaner can melt them.
He said this will definitaly improve the DA pull.
Like abwehr, I never use the DA, but I think the smithys suggestion is worth a try.
butch50

New P-64

Post by butch50 »

I carry mine for self defense, and even with the original double action trigger it is a great gun for that. For range shooting, there are other better guns.

Think about this, in an emergency situation you will be flooded with adrenalin and you will not notice the amount of pull required by the double action, and subsequent shots will be single action. In that situation the recoil won't be felt either. If you have ever hunted with a shotgun or highpower rifle, and took a shot while hunting you probably didn't feel the recoil, and that was not nearly as stressful as self defense would be. The strong double action pull is in fact a nice extra safety feature for a carry gun.

Having said that, I did change the spring and the double action pull decreased and improved dramatically, and the single action became very light. This makes it a lot better for practice shooting, but of course doesn't help the recoil situation. I have large hands and for this particular gun, that is not a benefit.

All things considered it is my primary carry gun, and I do have a pretty good selection to choose from every day.
Last edited by butch50 on January 8th, 2006, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.