CZ82 Won't Fire!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

Just got back from the range my Bulgy shot perfectly as usual. Didn't bring the P64 today but shot my Rossi 38 w/ 3"barrel and once I adjusted the adjustable sights I did pretty good.

Anyways, my CZ82 shot well for about 36 rounds then had a couple of dropped hammer episodes...fired, ejected empty case, chambered a new round and the hammer dropped (did not fire) but went into double action mode. @ mags later I released the slide, chambered a round, pulled the trigger and "click". I cycled the round out of the chamber (no mark ata ll on the primer) tried again, pulled trigger and "click". The hammer is not hitting the firing pin. I think something broke in the saftey and is blocking the hammer from falling completely. As I look down from above the hammer it is about 1/8th inch away from the firing pin and will not move closer.

I'm embarassed to say I don't remember the saftey mechanism on the CZ82. Is there a hammer block? Applying the saftey does not drop the hammer just disengages the trigger so it cannot drop the hammer. Right? What's wrong??
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by normsutton »

carguy

sounds like a busted firing pin to me

what kind of ammo
you could have had a pierced primer

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 21st, 2007, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

I shot maybe 20 rounds of Sellier & Bellot then was working on CCI.

How long is the firing pin supposed to be I cleaned it and it measure 1 and 20/32nds inches long. It didn't look broken...not jagged at the edge or anything.

I'm not sure what a pierced primer is so I can't answer that one.
jbailey

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by jbailey »

A pierced primer is just what it sounds like, a hole clear through it, allowing high pressure gas into the action. Usually a sign of overpressure handloads, incorrect headspace, and/or a firing pin that has somehow(?) gotten 'sharp' or too long.

With the slide off the gun, your firing pin should be almost exactly as long as its drillway. Push it forward until it's flush with its retainer plate at the rear and its nose should be just emerging from the breachface. Then look carefully at your action, right in front of the hammer. Hold the hammer back with your left thumb while slowly pulling the trigger (safety off). You should see a small 'plate', right behind the rear of the ejector base, rise up as you pull the trigger. If it's not up, the hammer cannot reach the firing pin. The safety prevents the trigger yoke from tripping the sear AND raising this little plate. On mine, with the safety ON, you can see this little plate start to rise, but it will not rise far enough and besides, the sear will not trip either. I doubt that the safety itself is 'broken', but something is. Let us know what your examination reveals and get back to us. - "Ivan"
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

I just hung up the phone with Norm Sutton and we decided that it is my firing pin. It is shorter than it looks like it should be and the edges are rather sharp and flat (broken clean off).

I guess the CCI ammo I was shooting (a gift) wasn't what it should be and I must have had a pierced primer.

Now I search for a firing pin, will try to call CZ-USA on Monday and maybe order a set of replacement grips ($13) as well.

I'll keep you posted.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by abwehr »

carguy,

Sorry to hear about your Firing Pin on your CZ82! The good part is you can get parts for these pistols since the CZ83 is basically the same pistol. I have ordered parts from CZ-USA and they are good folks to deal with. Shipping is reasonable so they should be able to fix you right up.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

Called CZ-USA this afternoon and ordered a replacement firing pin and had them send a new set of grips as well ($13) I'm tired of these beat ones that came with it. All totaled $38 including shipping...the firing pin was the most expensive part $18 !!!

Anyways they say I'll have it in less than a week.

I also ordered aome Norinco 9x18 from J&G sales at $7.50 a box!!

Not a bad price for the green boxes!!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by devlinfaust »

Carguy,

Very sorry to hear about your firing pin problem. Oddly, the CZ-52, the predicessor to the CZ-82 is supposed to have the same problem. Those guys at CZ make excellent weapons, there is no doubt, but perhaps they subcontract the firing pins to China or something?

Thanks for the heads up on that Norinco. Despite being a lover of the 9mm Mak cartridge, I have never used the Norinco and am about to change that situation, even as we speak.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

You are very welcome. Maybe you'll get mine. A day after I got an order confirmation I got an order cancelation. They don't ship to Mass. On to the next supplier.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by carguy »

Okay, shot the replacement firing pin today...perfection!

So I played at the range for a couple of hours...you ever notice that you meet the nicest people at gun clubs and shooting ranges?!
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

CZ82 Won't Fire!

Post by anjdrifter »

yup