My Polish and American members...

Info, pictures, advice...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

At the time I write this, there are 130 members and over 1300 posts on this forum. Absolutely amazing. I'd like to say a few things about this venture and where I see it going.
First, I'd like to personally welcome our Polish members. It's a pleasure to have you and your knowledge that we simply can't acquire here in the U.S. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.
Second, I appreciate everyone who has enjoyed their membership here on this forum, and the same goes for you - if you need anything, just ask. I'll be more than happy to assist you in any way possible (no I won't buy you another gun!).
I created the web site after a constant struggle trying to find any information regarding this little gem. I searched through Google's results until I got to page 30 and still found nothing soley based on this fine firearm. I created a small web development company last year called project 107 to supplement my income and feed another hobby of mine - web design. Using my resources, I created a rough and what I consider, slightly crude web site for the P-64. To my surprise, I had recieved over 500 hits within the first month of it's being available to the public without the assistance of Google and many other search engines. It was suggested that I create a forum for us few enthusiasts and here you are now. Being a hobby, I haven't seen the need to fork over the money to take the ads away from the top of this forum, or purchase a suitable domain name for the web site. Shortly after the forum was created, word started to spread and the member list started to grow very rapidly. Hence the 130 members here today. I'd just like to inform you all that I do appreciate very much that I could render a successful and purposeful public service. I hope you all have found another "forum home" here without all the bad mouthing by our beloved Makarov people. Thank you for making this forum and the web site a hit!
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Thank You dickfunk for welcome. It is a pleasure to be with You. This forum is a really nice place. You made really great and necessary job. ;D

Thank You

bartos
butch50

Post by butch50 »

An Excellent forum, and one that I visit frequently though I don't post a lot. Thank you for setting it up!
Last edited by butch50 on January 7th, 2006, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

As a avid gun owner and a "internet junkie", the first thing I did when I got hoe from the gun show was to get on the net and look for info on the pistol I just bought. Imagine my surprise when I found this great site!
Great job and a wealth of info on this neat pistol.
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Thanks go to you, Dickfunk, for providing us with this great place to gather and share info on this great little gun... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
metzgeri

Post by metzgeri »

Dickfunk,
Thanks for this great site. I can remember last spring posting about the P64 on gunboards with a few other diehards. We'd go back and forth and keep bringing the topic back up top. I got the impression the Mak guys thought of us as this little fly that wouldn't go away!!

There's a trippling of wealth of info about the P64 now, thanks to you.

Metzgeri
nscale

Post by nscale »

Good Job Dickfunk,
I too appreciate your efforts with this site. I have met nice people here, some in my area, that share my appreciation for the P-64.
I recently started collecting Makarovs and other police/military surplus weapons Feg, Star, CZ's SKS's, etc. and the P-64 started my journey, being the first purchased.
Keep up the good work.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Besides the P-64 being a great pistol, it is an excellent bargain for shooters, collectors, etc. This pistol just "fits" for overall use in Shooting, Carry, and Collecting. Now, if I were in a combat situation, I do think I would prefer a larger caliber and a few more rounds in the magazine, but in Europe, the smaller handguns, like the P-64, were the prefered carrry pistols of the Police. I still don't understand why the Military Armys, like Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, E. Germany, etc. would have a small handgun like the P-64 or Makarov as their main defensive pistol. I guess Russia started this trend with the Makarov and "highly encouraged" the satallite countries to also adopt the Makarov. Some Countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia, designed their own (way to go guys) handguns like the P-64, CZ-52, etc. to fire the standard Russian round/s.

Americans always seem to want the biggest they can get, LOL. The Colt .45 ACP to me is still one of the best combat pistols around, but they said it was "difficult to control", "new soldiers had a hard time mastering the pistol", but they never fired the Makarov or the P-64. The current 9mmP Beretta pistol is good, but not the "Stopper" that the .45 ACP is. My thoughts on a pistol is that it is the last resort in combat for protection, and I would take anything in that situation. Anyway, those are a few random thoughts.

Another pistol on the market that is an excellent buy for Concealed Carry, Shooting, Collecting is the Spanish Star BM that is currently on the market as surplus. The supplies are getting low as they sell out, but where can you get a 9mmP pistol for an average price of $160? Christmas 2 years ago, I went into my gun shop and saw a Star BM (looks like a smaller scale .45 ACP) in the case for $150 and after looking at it, it was in 97% condition had a spare magazine, cleaning rod, and the matching original box for $150 +tax. I bought it and gave to my son for Christamas. I was so impressed with this pistol, I went back a couple of weeks later and bought me one. These were former Spanish Police pistols that had been sold when they went to another model. They are great shooters, accurate, and very well made. These can be used for shooting, carry and collecting too. Do any of you guys have one of these pistols?
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

I have a Star BM and a Star PD. I like to use the PD for winter carry. For those that don't know, the Star PD is 45 cal.
butch50

Post by butch50 »

I have a Star BM as well. I purchased it for CC, but favor my CZAK for that.

The Star is another super value gun, far more gun than you would suspect from the current pricing, and a joy to shoot. When I qualified for CHL at the range, my BM out shot everyone on the line by a significant factor. The guy standing next to me was shooting one of those $600 Sigs, and was disgusted to find that I was shooting rings around it with a pistol I paid $135 for. Which of course made it even more fun to out shoot him.

I bead blasted and then parkerized mine, and put on custom wood grips. It is Gorgeous! I took it back to the shop where I bought it and the gunsmith went ape over how good it looks, makes it look like a $1,000 gun.
Last edited by butch50 on January 8th, 2006, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Another pistol on the market that is an excellent buy for Concealed Carry, Shooting, Collecting is the Spanish Star BM that is currently on the market as surplus. The supplies are getting low as they sell out, but where can you get a 9mmP pistol for an average price of $160? Christmas 2 years ago, I went into my gun shop and saw a Star BM (looks like a smaller scale .45 ACP) in the case for $150 and after looking at it, it was in 97% condition had a spare magazine, cleaning rod, and the matching original box for $150 +tax. I bought it and gave to my son for Christamas. I was so impressed with this pistol, I went back a couple of weeks later and bought me one. These were former Spanish Police pistols that had been sold when they went to another model. They are great shooters, accurate, and very well made. These can be used for shooting, carry and collecting too. Do any of you guys have one of these pistols?
abwehr, a buddy of mine carries two Star BMs in a shoulder holster... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I thought the Star BM was the ultimate for conceal carry until I found the P-64. It is now the ultimate. On another thread about "Gun Religion" I think one of the posters is correct. Folks read all the gun magazines and believe what they read. A CCW is for CLOSE range. I too would hate to defend a shooting at 20 M. It is a personal, close range defense weapon. The one thing it needs to be is DEPENDABLE and the P-64 fills all my requirements!
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

I agree almost 100%, but........ Read my post in "The Religion of Handguns" to see what I mean... While it's true it will almost always be close in, sometimes a good hi-cap as primary is a good choice (I wouldn't go down some parts of Indy without one ;) ;) ;))...

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

xelloss,

Yep, there are some area I would not go into WITH a CCW; you would need the Military there LOL!
pezzonovante

Post by pezzonovante »

I still don't understand why the Military Armys, like Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, E. Germany, etc. would have a small handgun like the P-64 or Makarov as their main defensive pistol.
Well, that's "simple as a flail's design", as the Polish military saying has it. According to the 1950s prophecies on future war, the handgun on the modern battlefield was to be a relic of the bygone era, sort of halberd still worn by the keepers of the Tower of London - a symbol of status more than a "main defensive" weapon. The proper junior officer's tool of the trade was to be a compact sub-machine gun or machine pistol: APS Stechkin in USSR, PM-63 Rak in Poland and Sa-61 Skorpion in Czechoslovakia. Soon it was obvious, that these are not flawless, and folding stock automatic rifle for the intermediate round took over - with time also in a compact form, of which only the Hungarian AMD-65 shorty was ever mass-produced in 7.62 mm caliber. There were no more 30-caliber Kalashnikov shorties (called Krinkovs in the West - I'll be damned if I know why, because the Soviets didn't know the name either) not because there weren't designed. They were, but none were put into production. Simply the small caliber, 5.45 mm x 39 round took over soon enough to let the steam off the compact 7.62 projects before they were ready and signed to go. Soon the AKSU-74 compact side-folder became junior officers' weapon, petrifying the pistol in the inferior category. The pistol was to be used for mostly, well, almost CCW purposes you use it now: an ultimate self-defense and authority enforcement tool. Oh, and sometimes to polish-off the wounded, when no stretcher-bearers were in sight. If it was not a PRIMARY armament, but purely a secondary one, why burden yourself with a large piece of iron? It worked for the staff officers too: why lugging around the staff tents with something weighing down the otherwise immaculate Sam Brown belt? Big pistol makes large creases, and we do not want these, don't we?
This was the battle cry of the supply crowd in 1960s, then came the 1970s and the question whether or not to heed the Soviet way and go small-caliber was more important, and later still the whole Commie shack become shaky and by 1990 there were no Communist regimes outside USSR. Nowadays, we have a new breed of officers here in Poland who put their heart into what was just a managing job performed in a green suit for their own fathers. The change came, mostly because now they have their own nations resurrected, and things began to change. 9 Para pistols are the least to be carried, even if still considered a back-up gun. Suddenly, all lads want electronic gadgetry on their rifles, and a large frame, staggered row pistol in a decent combat holster, not a leather coverall, which the P-64 holster was at best. And they invest their own money to train shooting more than they are taught in the Army. They join the practical shooting sports, trim fractions of seconds off their draw, aim and fire, shoot at real combat distances, and most of all - constantly pump lead downrange, which is the only way to learn how to use the firearm, be it large or small, period.