Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
lavgrunt

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by lavgrunt »

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I wish it were something positive!! I'm new to the P64 and took my unissued 1973 to the range the other day for the first time. There I was, blazing away when low and behold the triggerguard snapped in two, just in front of the trigger !!!! I had maybe 100 rounds through it..........How do I fix it or do I have a paperweight now ????

Any help would be greatly appreciated........Thanks!!!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by trent »

That's wierd, do you have really strong fingers or something, otherwise I can't figure how that could break.

you can check gunbroker/ebay for parts, they have some from time to time but also
There is someone who severely broke his a while back, I can't remember who it was, perhaps someone can tell you and you can see if he'll sell the triggerguard to you.
Last edited by trent on July 15th, 2007, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by bzinggg »

lavg.

Wait until Norm chimes in.....
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by normsutton »

lavgrunt

I guess it 3 to 5 months ago someone on the http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3
did the same thing I told him to come over here there might be a guy that was parting he's gun out because he had just broken the safety in his gun never hear a word from ether guy

you can send the gun back to who bought it from or part it out or you can wait for someone to part theirs out
you could ask some of the big dealer's who sold these guns if they have the part

there has to be 3 or 4 that got turned back in because of broken safeties , there just are not many parts for these guns out there, not until more get broken

just for the record what ammo were you shooting ( brand and weight )
I'd like to see some pix of the brake to see how clean the brake was and ware it broke
sorry I couldn't help

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by beasleydano »

NORMSUTTON

Good idea about parting out a broken pistol for parts. How about parting out a nice complete fully functional pistol? I just may do that. I have posted a new thread in the Buy, Sell, Trade section.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by normsutton »

beasleydano

That's mighty kind of you for that , the last person that had parts was on ebay and he's sold out

and thank you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lavgrunt

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by lavgrunt »

Thanks guys !!!! I'll post some pics ASAP.........It's a very clean break, right about the point where the riggerguard starts to curve upward........I was shooting Chinese 9x18, copper cases in the green box made in 1985..............
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by normsutton »

lavgrunt
then I think it can be wielded

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by pshootr »

The trigger guard on Walther type pistols also serves as the recoil lug for the slide when that part goes back fully in recoil. On the Makarov, and probably most or all others, the part of the trigger guard which takes the recoil when it stops the rearward movement of the slide is backed up by the frame. On the P-64 it is not. There is a gap between the recoil lug of the trigger guard and the frame. Maybe this is to allow the trigger guard to flex under recoil and thereby absorb some the shock, I don't know. But I would think flexing could lead to metal fatigue and ultimate failure.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by trent »

I wonder if a guard from a ppk, or similar pistol could be adapted
Last edited by trent on July 15th, 2007, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Snapped Triggerguard !!!

Post by jbailey »

Interesting... Went to safe and examined 5 samples of 'swing down trigger guard take down' pistols. PA-63, FEG AP MPB, PPK all have about 1 mm of gap behind the lug and in front of barrel block on frame, just like the P 64. In the Mak (Russian/Imez) the lug bears directly on the barrel block, ditto in the CZ 82. My guess is those with 'gap' are using it as a 'last ditch recoil buffer' and the one that fractured had a metallurgical weakness that failed prematurely? None of them looked like a possible replacement to me, sorry. Could be welded, but ONLY by very skilled welder and then the issues of heat treat, temper, refinishing are further challenges. Best hope seems to be someone parting out another 64. Good luck - "Ivan"