Broken P64

Info, pictures, advice...
thesaint

Broken P64

Post by thesaint »

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker here for a while after finding out about this place from packing.org
I got a P-64 from Southern Ohio Gun a few weeks ago and took it to the range when I went for my CDW permit. I didnt use it to qualify but I took it so I could try it out. Well, it was not operating properly. I would insert the magazine, and the DA wouldnt work. The trigger would just swing back. Well, the instructor got it to fire a few times. While messing with it, he was going to cock the hammer back so it would fire but it didnt catch (he thought it did and let go) and it went off. I took it to Paul Garrett Gunsmith in Newport, Ky (close to where I live). He looked at the gun, asked me where I got it and told me its junk and would cost more to fix it than the gun cost. :-[
Honestly, I am really really bummed out about this right now. I researched fairly extensively (I thought) and people were saying the P-64 is the most reliable automatic they have ever had while mine had problems from the get-go and the gunsmith said its junk and dont even bother with it. This really sucks because I was pretty damn excited about my P-64 and now this. :'(
If anybody has any feedback about what might be wrong, if they have had a similar experience or anything please let me know.
Thanks.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Broken P64

Post by trent »

I cant give any gunsmith advice because I honestly don't know, but I'd say contact SOG and see if they can do an exchange
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Broken P64

Post by normsutton »

thesaint
first did you take the gun apart and clean all the Cosmolin out of it

if you didn't do that

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1180205461

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 7th, 2007, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Broken P64

Post by nbender »

Well, I agree with Norm about Cosmoline being a potential problem, but I also agree with Trent. I'd give SOG a call right away and describe the problem. From what I've heard they have been willing to work with people.
doyle

Broken P64

Post by doyle »

When you asked the gunsmith, did he actually open it up or did he just look down his nose at the "Polish junk" and give you his opinion?
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Broken P64

Post by rlj102468 »

Call SOG right away. Tell them the whole story and they should be able to offer some type of help.
C-Ya, Bobby J.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Broken P64

Post by bzinggg »

American gunshop owners, at least many of them, resent internet sales in general. They resent surplus pistol sales even more, because they feel like it is stealing their customers. The best attitude would be to accept it and start learning the surplus pistol market and models and stocking and making parts like Norm does, but they have a preconceived idea and cannot shake it. The first thing many of them will do is holler "JUNK" to try to get you to be disgusted and buy a Colt or S&W from them so they can make more money. The P-64 is an excellent firearm. If you are not real experienced with handguns in general, you can overlook the easily fixed problems that are making it malfunction. Just hang on and read here a lot and call and talk to Norm. You will then come to the right conclusion and be a P-64 lover in a little more time. We are behind you, and we are dependable! Hang in there.

bZinggg.
jbailey

Broken P64

Post by jbailey »

Hard to diagnose remotely, but it sounds very much like the trigger bar is being held down someway. Crud/cosmo in its cavity, ditto the disconnector, or perhaps weak trigger spring. Clear chamber (always!), remove right grip, cycle action (easier if remove recoil spring and put slide back on) and study how the trigger bar behaves. Trouble here can create all the symptoms you describe. As mentioned many times throughout this forum, a thorough cleaning and light lubrication may very likely solve the problem. Let us know what you find. "Ivan"
brigade

Broken P64

Post by brigade »

thesaint.....

Take it apart and clean it. Check the parts and see how they mate up. Check the disconnector and trigger bar and even the trigger bar and how it connects to the trigger itself. Something may be bent or similar. Like others said hard to diagnose. These pistols are excellent. You are most likely experiencing something simple. Download this to help you....

http://216.193.236.162/P64_Assembly_Manual.zip
redfestiva

Broken P64

Post by redfestiva »

thesaint,

If it comes down to exchanging your pistol for a different one from SOG, you might go get it in person. SOG is in Lebonon,Ohio. Then you could check it's function before leaving the premises. You said you are near Newport, Ky. That would only be about 35 miles or so up Interstate 75. It's easy to find.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Broken P64

Post by himmel »

Hey trent--Nice collection at the bottom of your post! What is the top-break?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Broken P64

Post by trent »

Thanks himmel,Its a Spanish .455 revolver, made for the Brits in WWI, you can see a bigger pic of it on this thread http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 597&page=2
thesaint

Broken P64

Post by thesaint »

Well, first I'd like to thank all of you for your help and support. I have not figured out the problem yet, but I feel better just from the response of the members who posted. I was bummed out earlier not simply because my firearm wasnt working properly, but because I initially felt priviledged to part of a small group of P-64 enthusiasts, and was lucky to have stumbled upon such a group. So anyhow, thank you everyone and I will update my situation when I have updates :)

B.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Broken P64

Post by duggi60 »

Spoke to SOG today about availability of P64s -- told they have
none & most likely will not receive any shipment of them. I
wonder what is going on as AIM also seems to be out of them.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Broken P64

Post by beasleydano »

The supply is drying up some and prices are going up. We all expected it, didn't we? Time to get a spare!