Ammo Score!

Info, pictures, advice...
brigade

Ammo Score!

Post by brigade »

What is the hottest ammo you would recommend for the P-64?
Troy:

I owe some sort of reply to your question. I was hoping Norm or others would stand up first.

There isn't much to reference when it comes to shooting the heavier, hotter loads in the P-64. Without a good reference for the design criteria of the pistol I'm cautious.

You can find a lot of information from shooters over the years in regards to the Makarov. It's a general consensus that the Makarov can handle the heavier loads, but it's advised to add a heavier recoil spring to prevent frame damage from the slide slamming harder in reaction to heavier loads.

The P-64 has a lighter frame. Are there heavier recoil springs that will help absorb the shock of heavier bullets? Norm can chime in; I haven't followed those threads. But with the stock springs and the lighter-than-Makarov frame I only want to fire the standard 9x18 rounds in my P-64: a 92 - 96-grain bullet that travels in the range of 900 - 1,030 fps. That's what it was built for.

Thanks thats about the specs on the silver bears I have been using I think at 94gn.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo Score!

Post by blinddog »

I'm with Norm, I like to shoot 95gr simply because it does'nt hurt my hand and also I have a PA-63 and with an alloy frame I'm scared to shoot anything heavier. But, Ya' got a greay deal there. If ya didn't send the pictures I might not have believed it!!!!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo Score!

Post by trent »

maybe I'm just dumb for doing it or maybe I got a lucky czak, but I've put hundreds of rounds of 100grain wolf through my gun w/o any problems, (its the only type I can buy locally for a good deal)
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo Score!

Post by nbender »

100-grain is probably not wandering outside the envelope by very much. The Wolf 100-grain averages around 950 fps so it's not real hot - but I think the question is what happens with a steady diet over long term with the heavier rounds.

I don't know! I suspect the P-64 is built to handle more than cautious people permit, but that's a hunch.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo Score!

Post by blinddog »

IMO the P-64 is built like a brick! On the other hand the PA-63....hummmm maybe it ain't so strong. Anybody that has shot one for a long period I would sure like to have your input,
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ammo Score!

Post by carguy »

How is this for an ammo score...or screw up depending on which side of the counter you are on!!

A friend from another local forum went to Dicks Sporting Goods for a sale on 45 cal...$12.00 a box of 50. He proceeds tothe register with 2 cases (20 boxes). The cashier proceeds to scan the case sticker and the UPC code. Then asks for my friends ID. He hands her his Mass LTC Class A Permit...and starts to explain that the ammo is $12.00 per box not by the case as the UPC rang up the unit price (each). She proceeds to tell him not to tell her how to do her job and to give her his real ID...Drivers License not what ever he handed her.

So he decided that he tried and now since the cashier knows "everything", he handed her $30.00 took the change from the $24.00 +5% sales tax and left.

He feels guilty but figured he tried and got berated for it! I said give me her name and the location of the store, I'm on my way!! 8~) Happy Father's DAY!!