loose safety

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

loose safety

Post by blinddog »

My P-64 has a problem, after two or three rounds the safety drops down to a position where it won't fire. This ain't good. I know someone has run into this problem before and can give me some advice on how to fix the problem. Any help greatly appreciated!
stibnite

loose safety

Post by stibnite »

Here's the thread you want to read:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 696&page=1

You will have to take apart your safety, a couple things to look at are the shape of your plunger, and the spring (kinked, short, etc)

I had the same problem you described, with my 1975, I ordered a spring pack from Wolff and fixed it for good. BTW, what year is yours?

stibnite
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

loose safety

Post by blinddog »

Mine is a 1968. Great condition, accurate, but starting to have a few minor problems.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

loose safety

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

there are 2 more pages to that thread that stibnite
gave you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

loose safety

Post by blinddog »

O.K. I took apart safety and found the detent does'nt have a sharp cone on the end of it. It is rounded off and no point shows. Is there anything that I can do about this or am I up the proverbial creek with no paddle? Or is there something else I can do? I appreciate all of the help you guys have given me sor far.
stibnite

loose safety

Post by stibnite »

My plunger was flat as well, I rounded it a little with a Dremel. That alone did not keep the safety from dropping, I needed a longer spring. No idea why my spring was not long enough to begin with.
pshootr

loose safety

Post by pshootr »

I had the opposite problem with my '72 round hammer. The safety was so stiff the skin came off my thumb trying to work it repeatedly. I had to take it apart and chamfer the detent holes in the axis of the safety and round off the sharp point on the safety detent plunger, so that it resembled the firing pin and not the sharp end of a nail. It's now positive but still not hard to work.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

loose safety

Post by blinddog »

I did what Saands said to do in his thread and took all others into account to leave me open for options. Took it apart(no springs sprung)cleaned all I could, worked the detent some to give it a little more point. Checked the spring, it was about 7/8 in. and appeared to be in good shape. Put it all back together with minimal words I learned in the Navy and it appears to be a little more crisp. I guess a trip to the range will tell. Thank you guys fdor the help.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

loose safety

Post by normsutton »

blinddog
did you go to the other pages on that thread if you didn't/ here they are

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 696&page=2
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 696&page=3

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
spyguy

loose safety

Post by spyguy »

Wow, I'm glad I looked in here for this topic!

I just picked up my first P-64 (71' Radom) last week, well I finally found some ammo yesterday and was able to test fire it. The first shot was truely impressive as I had never fired anything like this gun. The second and third shots were right on target with the first round...I was amazed. The fourth shot sent the saftey halfway onto safe and the joy promptly ended....

I had high hopes that there was a reason for this and thought the old springs might be the cause. I'm glad you guys are one here serving up the goodies to fix these old guns.

I have a feeling that once I can resolve the safety issue my P-64 will become my new carry gun. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!!

Spy
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

loose safety

Post by normsutton »

Spy

WELCOME

any questions just ask
someone will have and answer

NORM