OT - Bored

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Bored

Post by abwehr »

Well guys, while on the hunt for my next P-64 (a 1972 date, second variation) I decided to build another AK rifle. This is a Romanian AK Underfolder. I usually refinish my builds, but I wanted to leave this one as a "Battlefield Pickup". I had to do a little "aging" to the new receiver so it matched resonably close. The finish is mostly ALL gone, but mechanically, it is great!

I hope to get the Polish Underfolder kit some time late next week and then build it. Of all the AK kits I have seen (Russian, Romanain, Yugo, Bulgarian, Chinese) the Polish is the absolute best quality I have seen. Just like the pistols, TOP Quality!!! Here are some photos:

Last edited by abwehr on December 30th, 2005, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikethewreck

OT - Bored

Post by mikethewreck »

I have seen the Polish non-receiver kits for sale. How hard is it to get a replacement semi-automatic receiver?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Bored

Post by abwehr »

mikethewreck,

I have used several different makes of receivers, but I like the Ewbanks receiver manufactured by JoeKen Firearms. JoeKen does not have the best reputation for service, but I have never had any problems with them. My next favorite is the Oho Ordnance Works receiver; they go together very well, but cost s few dollars more. Get your dealer to order one of the 100% receivers for you and you should be able to complete one the first time in about 6-8 hours, after you read up on how they are assembled. You will need a drill press, Dremel Tool, files, screwdriver, drill bits & taps, and screws. The rifle you see here is now ready for the range, and I have about 5 hours in the build.

There is a systematic process to follow and if you follow them, it is easy. If you don't follow them, you will goof up a nice kit and you will have nothing but problems. The most important thing is to install the Trigger Guard first, then the front Trunnion and then the rear Trunnion. Check each item twice before making any cuts and it should be a snap to assemble. The Polish kits are the best I have seen, but they are in the $225 range for the kit. By the time you get a kit, receiver, drill & tap set and screws, you will have approx. $300-325 in a great AK.
Last edited by abwehr on December 30th, 2005, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartos061

OT - Bored

Post by bartos061 »

Hi abwehr,
It is really great that You can collect weapon. :D Unfortunately in Poland it is impossible ???
I have pictures similar to "how to stripe your p-64" but with polish AK rifle. If You want it I can scan them and send You. But no before Sunday.
bartos
mikethewreck

OT - Bored

Post by mikethewreck »

Maybe a birthday present...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT - Bored

Post by abwehr »

bartos,

That would be great to have the photo of your AK Rifle! My e-mail address is in my profile, and you can send when you get the time. THANK YOU!