OT: I am needing input on a new gun.

Info, pictures, advice...
brigade

Post by brigade »

I would like to know what your favorite most reliable non-polymer full size 9mm handgun. I am looking for accuracy and reliability mostly. I have been looking at the CZ-75 some. Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer their opinion to help guide me.
-Troy
Last edited by brigade on April 27th, 2007, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I just love my 1943 Radom P-35!!

Thats my only 9mm Luger experience, sorry. 8~)

And I don't like those plastic guns either.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

if you want something along the lines of a cz75, go with a witness. It made by the Italians and is a really good pistol and goes for less than a cz75. I've had experiences with the polymer versions and they are excellent guns.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg72-e.htm

Just checked gunbroker, cz75's=mid 400's

witness= mid to high 300's
Last edited by trent on April 27th, 2007, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Troy

There are a lot of 9 mm out there here are some more

http://www.ssmedwi.com/Pistols%20page%202.htm

I have 2 P9M, 9mm same as browning hp, 1 star bm,
all I,ve read about CZ-75 have had good reports, you can find more info on it here
http://p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on April 28th, 2007, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I will throw in my .02 cents worth here too. All the pistols mentioned are very good quality and should be reliable, but my personnal pick would be the CZ-75. Why; the pistol is all steel, the slide rails ride inside the receiver and not on the outside as most pistols do. This arrangement makes for a more accurate pistol out of the box. Armalite is marketing a new pistol under their brand that is made for them in Turkey. The pistol looks close to the CZ-75 and has the same rail arrangement. The CZ-75 or the Armalite are good quality.

Another 9mm I favor highly is the Walther P-5. It does have an aluminum frame, but the pistol is very accurate and very well made (as all Walther products). You can find these from SOG and they were former German Police pistols and the one I have is in excellent condition with only a little handling wear on the anodized finish at the grip and muzzle where it would ride in the holster. This used pistol should be in the $500-600 range after the transfer fees.

A well known 9mm that is accurate, low cost, is the Walther P-1. These are former German Military pistols that have been refurbished to new standards. They have steel slides and aluminum frames. These can be found in gun shops for around $300, or ordered from several dealers like SOG, J&G, or CIA.

As "Trent" stated above, the Witness is a copy of the CZ-75 and everything I have read is that they are excellent pistols. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I heard Tanfoglio (mfg. of the Witness) makes some frames for CZ????????

On the upper end, you can go with a SIG P-226 that has been refurbished by the factory for $500-550. The frame is aluminum, but they are excellent buys. The H&K pistols with the aluminum frames are another excellent pistol, but they can get pricey too.

The thing to do is find a quality pistol that feel good in your hand. Just the feel will make a lot of difference in the accuracy. A good example from me is the Browning Hi-Power. These are excellent pistols, but it does not feel good in my hand, so I cannot shoot them well. This is a tough decision, but my recommendation is the CZ-75.
Last edited by abwehr on April 28th, 2007, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Troy, I have a friend that shoots competitionon with a CZ75, but I have no expeience with the pistol. Later Don
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Hey TTH and Norm ! i just saw this site for coatings and wanted you both to check this stuff out! I am thinking that the blue and black colors would look great . G
http://www.apwcogan.com/CERAGUARD.htm
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

+1 on the CZ-75.
I have a Witness in 40 S&W. Another top end for it in 9mm. Neither factory barrel shoots very well. The Barsto barrel in 357 Sig shoots great in the 40 top end.
I had a Witness compact polymer that I had for all of 4 weeks because it wouldn't hit anything.
The CZ-75s I have shot were better shooting than the Witness.
If I were to get another(its just a matter of time), I'd go for the real thing and buy the CZ. You can get the CZ in stainless which is a nice option. I'd stick with the steel frame.
If you shoot one (or hold one) you'll be hooked.
Good luck. Don't buy them all...save a few for me.
Dave
zbysiu23

Post by zbysiu23 »

How much yoyu can spend..
Are you looking for carry or target work... self defence ..to pack and cconcealment combat or target..there is a lot of great 9mm do you like the 1911 design ..
If I would not need to be concern ed with size or carry nor the $$$ I would get the Para CTX189B or simillar , will never go wrong with Sig top$ and more duty gun...The mentioned Para has full 5 in barrel and 18 in the mag plus 1 and based on 1911 ..
Sigs are small smooth and sweet... CZ are great ...Sig will fit a small hand... there are hundreds of questions you need to answer to yourself.... brainstorm and narrow the search..
rjsixgun

Post by rjsixgun »

+1 on the CZ 75!!! I have one so does my wife, By far, the best 9mm handgun I've ever owned. As for the Witness and the Arma-lite copies?,....I ask this.....Why buy a copy when you can buy the ORIGINAL CZ 75's for less than the copy. Also the copy cat guns dont interchange any parts or mags with the Original. and CZ are made only by CZ in the Czeck republic, never in Italy.
Witness, EAA, IMI baby eagle, tofango, Arma-lite, Springfield Armory P-9, Norico TZ, Sphinx.........Are all copies. CZ-USA and CZ-UB are the only originals.
Ok so I'm a big CZ 75 fan and I carry a full size CZ 75b almost daily. On the days I dont, I carry my P-64.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

brigade

Post by brigade »

I would like to try and keep the spending down to less than $500. This gun is to be for general target shooting and also home defense. Since I carry either the P-64 or Mak for concealed carry when out this full size 9mm will stay at home. I think I am gonna go with the de-cocker version of the CZ. I also don't mind the Beretta 92. I shot them when I was in the Marines. Which do you guys think is more reliable the CZ-75 or 92FS Beretta. I am thinking that either way I go I probably will be happy. Thanks for the input.
-Troy
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

TTH,

I am also looking to get another 9mm, the only 9mm I own is a Star BM [4" bbl]. I have been looking and shooting what I can, so far I have shot the Beretta 92 FS, Beretta M9 pretty much the same as the FS, a BHP FN, and a FEG P9R, all 9mm. I'm planning to shoot a friends CZ75 BD this next weekend. I am leaning as of now toward the CZ75 BD, mostly because of cost, however, the used FEG P9R's I have found in EX condition in this area are running $300 to $325, and the used CZ75 DB's I have found that are in EX condition are in the $400 range. I think the new CZ75 BD are going for around $ 475. Between the two I would probably opt for the CZ 75 BD, but that is because I have heard much more about the CZ's and they do have a great reputation.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Hard to argue against a CZ-75 but if $$ is an issue, take a look at the Stoeger Cougar.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... ar8000.tpl or
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handgu ... 8k_121106/

You can get them NIB for $320 with 2 15-round mags.
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Reliability, all metal, and reasonable cost seem to be your main concerns for a 9mm. Space gave you a good Beretta (Stoeger Cougar@$325) and Cz-75 is always up on top. Don't forget the 9mms from Ruger (not elite, but very reliable; my P-89 was a real garbage can and could put any load thru its gullet; my daughter used it as a deputy sheriff for a year before they changed over to Glock 40s). I have carried a Glock 26 for the past 8 yrs because it is not heavy and has never let me down, but I am not going to push it, since I also carry a Seecamp .32 in my pocket when the weather get hot and I am in a T-shirt and shorts (11 yrs of carry and also never let me down - too bad that the billfold with the trigger hole was outlawed!). Hey, I am a 9x18 collector and most of these pistols are very reliable, the CZ-82 surplus being the most recent fine example. Dirt cheap for a CZ and it points well. Good luck on your QUEST!
Last edited by novgarod on April 29th, 2007, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.