Shot my P-64 for the first time today..

Info, pictures, advice...
mrkimball

Post by mrkimball »

After lurking around this board for some time, I purchased a P-64 2 weeks ago, along with a PA-63 and a CZ-82. Well, due to my hours at work, I finally got a chance to shoot them today. I was shooting at milk jugs placed at a distance of 10-15 yards, and I was quite surprised with the accuracy of the pistols. The CZ82 was by far the most accurate. I could place every shot inside a 3-4" area on the jug. The PA-63 was almost as accurate, but shot about 3" to the left (pretty sure due to trigger pull). The P-64 was the least accurate, but with all shots hitting the jug, it was acceptable. I plan on replacing the springs in the PA-63 and P-64 soon, and hopefully this will increase their accuracy and lessen the recoil on both of these weapons. I was using CCI blazer ammo.
Last edited by mrkimball on April 22nd, 2007, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

mrkimball,
Glad to have you in the forum. I see you buy pistols 3 at a time, must be nice. I don't think my Mrs. would go for that. How would you say the recoil compares on those 3 pistols?
Last edited by redfestiva on April 22nd, 2007, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrkimball

Post by mrkimball »

for mine, the CZ was the most comfortable, and recoil was not felt as much as the others, which I feel is the overall design of the pistol. The PA-63 fit my hand better than the P-64, and felt recoil was slightly less than the P-64. The P-64 was the least comfortable to me, and it gave my hand the worst beating of the three, and it took the longest to set up for a follow-up shot.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Hello ! Buying 3 now is a good idea . ...as for the P-64 accuracy... CCI Ammo is plain aweful in "my" pistol . If you try some other ammo types ,I will think you'd see waay better accuracy. Please post back when you get time and try some more ammo ALSO and let us all know which brand works best for you ! I like the S&B 95gr , and a lot of the others (me included) here like the Silver Bear and Hornady. There are better and , there are worse . We all enjoy this Ammo comparison stuff ! Also , look in the " 9 x 18 Ammo Chart" forum here and there is a pretty good list of types and performance info. Let us know what you find please.Good luck! G
mrkimball

Post by mrkimball »

I hope to try different ammo in these, but where I live (Rockford Illinois Area), different flavors seem hard to come up with. So far, the only ammo I have found in this area has been: CCI Blazer $12/50, American Eagle $20/50, Hornady $12/25, and MFS +P for $10/50. Is the MFS +P safe to shoot in the P64/PA63/CZ82?? I hope to find some of the silver bear or S&B, but my options are limited (unless I order some).....
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I have fired the MFS+P . It is 95 grain , what I normally use is 94 grain so I can't tell the difference. I think some Wolf 115 grain is around but I would'nt personally use that although some forum members have without bad results.
danicrow

Post by danicrow »

I was confined to only go out for an hour today and the silverbear ammo I ordered hadn't come in yet so I bought wolf mil classic at the local indoor range, and it shot fine.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

It is too bad the American Eagle is so high $$. I like it alot ! I have some in a couple of other calibers and they are what i call "my fancy bullets" !! As soon as you fire them you can almost feel the quality . Thats just My opinion,tho.
I live in MO and Ammo types are kinda limited here also. There are possibly as high as 5 types around here so far, that i have found. The S&B is one that i liked because of it's availability/price and consistent quality. Consistency means there is the ability for Accuracy. The Hornady is also easy to get around here and if they are out of the S&B i will get it next . it is ok. I don't care much for the high $$ Winchester Ammo in 9x18.
so far all the Russian Ammo i have tried works great . like it was made for the gun? G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Here is a site with a whole bunch of tested/chronographed
9x18 Mak loads from Various Manufacturers !
This is very good info, methinks. G
http://www.victorinc.com/9x18mm.html
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

This has a really good test of several 9x18 brands that you will likely encounter. Including 3 CCI loads. I hope this helps,man ! G
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=110185
kempin

Post by kempin »

My brother just goat a cz-82, and I am very curious to try it. It seems to have a reputation for being accurate . . .

(Not that it would ever change the love I have for my p-64, which I have affectionately named, "mini-me.")
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I very much enjoy both the P-64 and my PA63. Both pistole's have strong points in my opinion. The smaller size of the P-64, extreme accuracy, loaded chamber indicator, smooth trigger face are all pluses for me. The PA63 is also very accurate, I shoot it better doing speed drills do to the longer heavier slide and larger front sight. I enjoy the lighter weight of the PA63 and the extra cartridge in the mag. I absolutely hate the serrated trigger. Negatives for both firearms are the horrendous trigger pull and the jolting recoil. Thank heavens for Wolff Gun springs. My belief is that Radom would give Walther a run for it's money if it chose to do a few upgrades and reissue these great little gins.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 24th, 2007, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Garry,
I was just reading the ammo stats that you posted , man, some of that stuff is really juiced up. Do you recall the make of the pistol that did the testing? I no every one will be interested in the information. I'm wondering how many people have shot the hotter loads and what if any problems have occurred?
Thank you for the postings .................. G.R.