Shoulder holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
excalibur

Shoulder holster

Post by excalibur »

Does anyone have a source suggestion for a shoulder rig that I can wear under my buttondown dress shirt and over my t-shirt? Even more of a challenge... I need a white one so the holster doesn't show through my white shirts.
Even though it requires opening a button, I am just not a fan of the "in the pants" holsters. Any help is appreciated.
BTW, I'm new to the board and looking forward to carrying my new '64
CB ;D
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shoulder holster

Post by abwehr »

excalibur,

I don't know a lot about shoulder holsters, but the E. German Makarov shoulder holster might work for you and they are CHEAP! The holster itself is thin leather, but the strap are "cheesy" web material. It looks uncomfortable too. Take a look on: [url=http://www.makarov.com,]www.makarov.com,[/url] they should have a photo of what one looks like. Also, look under "Makarov" on e-bay; they always have some on auction. SOmeone else may definetly have a better idea!
cruiser

Shoulder holster

Post by cruiser »

Have you heard of these http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/1/6667/?return=%3f. I do not have one but have heard good about them.
mikethewreck

Shoulder holster

Post by mikethewreck »

Smart Carry (a cloth holster that hangs over yer nuts) worked well for me this past week with the P-64. Wore it everywhere (even driving for hours).
cruiser

Shoulder holster

Post by cruiser »

Do you have to wear fairly loose pants for the Smart Carry? I wear Wrangler jeans a lot and just don't have much room in there!
amd6547

Shoulder holster

Post by amd6547 »

The other possibility is the money belt type sold by bianchi. you wrap it around your midsection under a shirt. Probably not good if you have a spare tire like me!
Last edited by amd6547 on December 31st, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
mikethewreck

Shoulder holster

Post by mikethewreck »

You do need SOME room in the jeans for Smart Carry but with a thin gun like the P-64 it might surprise you. Works very well with shorts and sweatpants.
warthog

Shoulder holster

Post by warthog »

So guys, if you are using the Smart Carry option.
Don't take Enzyte. You need the room in your pants for the gun. ;)
mikethewreck

Shoulder holster

Post by mikethewreck »

LOL! LOL! LOL!
butch50

Shoulder holster

Post by butch50 »

Carry methods are a bit like religion - we all think we have figured out the best way - and we are all correct for ourselves....

...Having said that though, let me get up on my soap box and try to covert you heathens....

I swear by front pocket carry - which is one of the MAJOR reasons I love my CZAK.

I have on any number of occasions been standing in line at a checkout and found myself standing there with my hand in my pocket, actually holding the pistol. With a simple flick of the thumb the safety would be off and I could bring it out of my pocket and fire it in less than a second. I guarantee it. I have practiced it without ammo.

Imagine you are in a 7-11 and a weirdo comes in, you want to be ready right? Just in case? With the CZAK in my front pocket and my casual standing there routine I can be extremely ready, very very ready. No way you can be that ready with any other carry method.

What other kind of carry approaches that? Only thing remotely close would be an exposed holster with your hand on the gun. Which would be a bit obvious.

Plus, pocket carry doesn't require any holster at all - I use a pocket holster that I made, but it is not strictly necessary, and in some of my pants that have tighter pockets I don't use it.

No one pays any attention to me standing there with my hand in my pocket. No one, ever.

The reason I find myself doing that, is because I generally stand with my hand in my pocket when I am not moving around - habit really.

I have one of the smart carry's - ever try to get to your gun out of one of those? Clumsy, no matter what the ads say, it is slow and clumsy (by comparison with front pocket). Same with IWB holsters - slow and clumsy.

A shoulder holster under a jacket would be next best to pocket, but there is no way you can stand with your hand under your jacket and not get noticed.

Try the front pocket carry - it is the simplest and most elegant solution.
Last edited by butch50 on February 4th, 2006, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Shoulder holster

Post by jbailey »

Butch50: How does this work sitting in a vehicle? Even my loosest pants pockets get too cosy then. Also, here in Ohio it's "IN a holster, ON your person, in PLAIN sight" when in a vehicle. Crazy? Yes, but otherwise it's locked up in glove box or case when driving, which is not only impractical, but requires excessive handling in public. Unfortunately, the law sometimes dictates personal preference, darnit!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shoulder holster

Post by abwehr »

I have to agree with "butch50", this is the way I like to carry, but as he stated in his thread "Carry methods are a bit like religion - we all think we have figured out the best way - and we are all correct for ourselves...."

Sitting with a pistol in the front pocket is not the most comfortable, but I don't wear tight pants either. Blue jeans are about the tightest and they are not skin tight (I don't have the body to impress the girls anymore, LOL). Winter is not bad for me as I either carry in the pants pocket ot coat pocket, but in the summer, a holster is used sometime, but to me they are uncomfortable.

This subject is very personal and each person needs to find the most comfortable for them. No one is totally correct or wrong. The one thing I found out from this thread is about the PagerPal holster. I like that one!
fjblackesq

Shoulder holster

Post by fjblackesq »

There is no such thing as the "perfect" universal holster. It depends on many factors, such as weather, clothes being worn, need for concealment, etc,and above all that intaqngible factor of personal preference. For the P64 and MAKs I like thbe Don Hume "No.59 for most purposes, but also like the balistidc cloth inside the waist for concealment. It seems there are more holsters than guns!!!!! You pays yer Money and takes yer choice !!!!!!!!!!
mikethewreck

Shoulder holster

Post by mikethewreck »

My problem with pocket carry is for years I have carried my wallet in my right front pocket instead of a back pocket (better for your back). No room in the inn for even a CZAK!
ozarker

Shoulder holster

Post by ozarker »

As stated you pay your money and take the chance. I haven't seen anything yet, that for me would fit every occasion. This last summer I did some traveling with my RV. Dressed in T-shirt and gym shorts(2 front pockets). So I got a camera bag. Pocket things(billfold, etc.) in one side, weapon in the other. It's winter now and saw in another forum about Lee and Wrangler jackets being made with (unintentional) two inside pockets. Sounds cheap and it is but it works..I cut a side out of the Mrs slimfast so the weapon doesn't print. fitted that inside the pocket and placed the weapon behind. Works like a charm. Stick my gloves,etc in front pocket of the jacket. People have no idea that I'm packing. This summer I'll go back to the pack as I call it. At this age I don't enjoy sitting on my billfold either.