Another P83 Decocker with trouble.

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
greysaber

Re: Another P83 Decocker with trouble.

Post by greysaber »

I don't think it's the detent. I mean, it's not perfect, but the safety lever moves fine when the slide is off the weapon. I think it's the fulcrum of the disconnector that the safety pushes against.

Now, I can't get deep into the trigger. I would take it apart, but without a video on how to put it together, I wouldn't risk it. As you know, the disconnector, (or what is labeled as such in the documents I've seen) is just in front of the hammer on the right side of the weapon. It requires a fair amount of force to depress. As the safety lacks any significant mechanical advantage (no leverage) the resulting force requirement is simply too much.

I'd like to get down into the trigger to see what is going on.... I suspect that isn't going to happen.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

What about your favorite gunsmith?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
greysaber

Post by greysaber »

Eh, I know a guy, but I'm not sure I want to put more money into it. If it's something I can fix myself, all well and good, but if it's going to cost me another hundred I'd rather return.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

maybe you could find something here to help with the take apart.

viewtopic.php?t=5407
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Take the slide off. The hammer should be cocked to be able to do this. With a dowel or something that has home heft, like the handle of a screwdriver, see if you can push down on the disconnector. If when you push/press down on it the hammer drops, then the issue is the safety/decocker elements. If you can't, the the issue is with the hammer/disconnector/sear elements. The problem with taking it apart is that the sear has a spring that is a major PITA to reinstall unless you have patience, knowledge, and the tools necessary. DAMHIKT, I have two 83's one works fine, the other the hammer pin is angled a few thousands downwards lowering the disconnector which has the decocker element brush the top of the disconnector rather than engage with it further down and back.