P83 Decocker

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
ckaine

P83 Decocker

Post by ckaine »

Hello:

I have just received a P83 from SOG. It appears to be in very good condition. I have cleaned/lubed the pistol-BUT-I find the Decocker very difficult to use when in the Double Action position-very stiff and I need two thumbs. Also, when in the Single Action position-it is easier-BUT-does not move the trigger back.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Chris
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P83 Decocker

Post by Weasel640 »

ckaine wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 7:03 pm Hello:

I have just received a P83 from SOG. It appears to be in very good condition. I have cleaned/lubed the pistol-BUT-I find the Decocker very difficult to use when in the Double Action position-very stiff and I need two thumbs. Also, when in the Single Action position-it is easier-BUT-does not move the trigger back.
The Safety/Decocker should not move the Trigger. Are you saying it does not move the Hammer safely into a Decocked position? Contact SOG either exchange it for one that functions properly or get a refund.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Deja vu. Had a similar issue with my 1st P83 I got from GB. The decocker would not drop the hammer not matter what I did. Ordered all new safety/decocker components, sear, and hammer drop lever (diconnector) to no avail. After closer inspection I noticed that when I moved the safety lever to decock the hammer, the portion of the safety that hits the hammer drop lever (diconnector) was just skimming over it. Thus, it wasn't putting enough pressure to drop the hammer. I could do it manually with the slide removed but not with the slide on. I ordered a new P83 from J&G and that one worked perfectly. So I tried the slide of the defective one on the new one's frame and lo and behold the decocker dropped the hammer as it should. When I put the slide of the new one on the defective one's frame the same thing happened as with the other slide, the decocker would not drop the hammer. This led me to think that somehow the hammer pin hole is lower on the right side than on the left side of the frame. Since the hammer pin captures the hammer and the hammer drop lever (disconnector), the lever sits low enough not to allow the decocking lever to actuate with enough force to drop the hammer.

I would do what Weasel640 says and get it exchanged.
ckaine

Post by ckaine »

Afternoon:

Evidently, I was not very clear. The Decocker is very stiff to operate when the Hammer is back. It DOES correctly drop the Hammer, move the firing pin and decock the trigger(moves it back). When the Hammer is down(Double Action)the Lever is easy to move-does move the Firing Pin, BUT does not move the trigger back i.e. decock. Perhaps that is how it works when the Hammer is already down.

Perhaps soaking the end of the slide in some mild solvent will help.

Regards;

Chris
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I misread your post. With the hammer cocked and safety off and you fire the gun the hammer drops as it should. But if you activate the safety with the hammer down the trigger will not move to the rear because you have now activated the safety and not the decocker. You'll get some play in the trigger but then it hits a wall and you can't move it past that. The decocker only functions when you rack the slide to chamber a round (the hammer is cocked) or after shooting a round and you want to lower the hammer. In other words, it work only when the hammer is cocked. What you are experiencing when the hammer is down is normal. The only time the trigger will stay back is when the hammer is cocked and you activate the decocker/safety. However, when you take the safety off you will notice that the trigger moves forward into the DA mode. This is how the P83, FEG PA63, FEG SMC-918 work. Yet, my Bulgarian Makarov moves the trigger forward into DA the moment you decock the hammer.

Now for the stiffness it could be that it has some gunk in there, maybe a burr, or a worn out detent & spring. It may be best to take it to smith and see what they can do. I ordered new parts for the safety/decocker for the one I couldn't fix.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

ckaine wrote: December 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm Afternoon:

Evidently, I was not very clear. The Decocker is very stiff to operate when the Hammer is back. It DOES correctly drop the Hammer, move the firing pin and decock the trigger(moves it back). When the Hammer is down(Double Action)the Lever is easy to move-does move the Firing Pin, BUT does not move the trigger back i.e. decock. Perhaps that is how it works when the Hammer is already down.

Perhaps soaking the end of the slide in some mild solvent will help.

Regards;

Chris
Again decocking has nothing to do with moving the Trigger, if you think it does then you are very mistaken. The action of decocking is when the Hammer is lowered from the cocked position safely through the action of apply the Safety. If the Hammer is already down there is NO decocking that can be done. That is the root of you confusion with DA mode.

As far as the binding when applying the Safety when the Hammer is cocked; When you apply the Safety it engages the Disconnector that in turn disconnects the Trigger Bar from the Sear and the Hammer, allowing the Hammer to fall. So if in SA mode it's binding then one of those four parts or a combination of them are the culprit.

When in SA mode, the action of the Disconnector with the Trigger Bar causes the Hammer to move because it is taking that tension off of the Trigger Bar. The trigger rests in to different places depending on SA or DA mode due to that tension.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Weasel640 wrote: December 25th, 2017, 2:44 am Again decocking has nothing to do with moving the Trigger, if you think it does then you are very mistaken. The action of decocking is when the Hammer is lowered from the cocked position safely through the action of apply the Safety. If the Hammer is already down there is NO decocking that can be done. That is the root of you confusion with DA mode.
I agree Weasel. It's was what I was thinking this morning and was going to clarify my post for Chris.
Weasel640 wrote: December 25th, 2017, 2:44 am As far as the binding when applying the Safety when the Hammer is cocked; When you apply the Safety it engages the Disconnector that in turn disconnects the Trigger Bar from the Sear and the Hammer, allowing the Hammer to fall. So if in SA mode it's binding then one of those four parts or a combination of them are the culprit.
With my first one I changed out all these parts - disconnector, sear, hammer, and trigger bar - in addition to the safety components because of binding and not decocking. It didn't bind anymore but the issue was with the frame itself and not the components.