P83 Decocker Issue

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
OG17

P83 Decocker Issue

Post by OG17 »

Yesterday, while at the range with my instructor, I discovered that the decocker would not engage when the hammer is back with a round in the chamber. I did a search on the topic and got some valuable info and will be trying as many of the fixes before taking it to my gunsmith. One thing I didn't see in the threads/responses was what mine is doing. I can easily engage/disengage the decocker with no problem while the hammer is forward. But the moment the hammer is pulled back, the decoker gets stuck. However, if I pull the slide slightly back the decocker now engages/disengages smoothly but the slide is out of battery. Then when I nudge the slide back into battery the hammer drops as it should if the decocker was operating normally. It seems like the problem is with the safety lever and/or the safety engagement.I did this with an empty gun.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I really liked the way it shot - accurate with minimal recoil.

PS - I have ordered a new safety lever, safety engagement, and safety pin. Should I have ordered the safety detent spring, safety catch spring? Additionally do you think I should get the sear and sear bar as well?

Again thanks.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P83 Decocker Issue

Post by Weasel640 »

Sounds like you are on the right track. Without the P-83 in hand it would be difficult for any of us to diagnose. However it sounds like while loaded there is a problem with the way the Safety Lever (13) and Safety engagement (34) are lining up/interacting. Or it could be a problem with how the Safety engagement (34) is interacting with the Sear (24). Either way it's probably centered around the Safety engagement (34).

This manual has a pretty good diagram of all the parts on page 26 http://www.surplusfirearm.com/wp-conten ... Manual.pdf

Another thing to keep in mind is that this Manual and other documentation is originally written in Polish. So there are some things that are miss-translated. To note the "Safety engagement" is more commonly referenced as the "Disconnector" or "Hammer Release" on other firearms.

On the P-83, the way the Safety Lever (13), Safety engagement, Sear (24) and Hammer (27) interact is more similar to the way the Walther PPK is designed. As the Walther PP, PPK, or PPKS is more widely used, you may be able to find more step by steps and/or videos of what to do for the problem. Again on the Walther it's going to be called a "Disconnector" or "Hammer Release" problem.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
OG17

Re: P83 Decocker Issue

Post by OG17 »

Thanks Weasel. I'll do a YT/Google search on on the Walthers and see what turns up.