Bulgarian Makarov

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
valetnlv

Bulgarian Makarov

Post by valetnlv »

I have a chance to pick up a Bulgarian Makarov , Should I ? I carry the P64 and p83 and love the p83 a lot. What is the Bulgarian Like. thanks brian
tech 1

Re: Bulgarian Makarov

Post by tech 1 »

I own all 3 guns plus an EG Makarov. I think k the Makarov is a much better gun than either of the other 2. The Bulgy is a true makarov, the p64 and p83 only shoot the same round and this all they have in common. The p64 is uncomfortable to shoot, the p83 has the huge hammer sticking out so conceal carry could be a problem. The Makarov is is pretty much a perfect carry option. ( in my opinion).
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Exactly!. My Bulgy is softest shooting. My EDC is the O-64, and I like shooting my P-83 a lot. Looking at a CZ 82 now.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

valetnlv wrote:I have a chance to pick up a Bulgarian Makarov , Should I ?
Yes, depending on price, of course.
carry the P64 and p83 and love the p83 a lot. What is the Bulgarian Like. thanks brian
About the same as the P83 but a tad thinner in the grip with a spurless hammer. Both recoil and shooting comfort are similar to the P83. The Trigger on the PM is OK but I believe the trigger on the P83 is slightly better. The PM is SA/DA. The stock military sights on the PM are, well, stock military sights which are pretty much the same across all three platforms but the rear notch on the PM is closer to the rear notch on the P64. Not accounting for wear and tear, the fit and finish of the PM is superior to that of the P83 but usually not quite as nice as that of the P64. But sometimes it can be a toss up. The fit and finish on the P64 is very nice. Some PM's are nearly as nice but some are not. Bulgie Maks aren't East Germans but they're usually considered better than the Russian ones. If you're a fan of the P83, you'll be pleased to hear that the safety lever is similar. Up for "SAFE" and down for "FIRE," just like most U.S. handguns. I believe this to be the more ergonomic, biomechanically sound, and "natural" movement. The thumb "pulls" down far more easily and does so more automatically under stress than it "pushes up." If, however, you are a fan of carrying in Cooper's "Condition One," you will be disappointed. Thumbing the lever to "SAFE" acts as a decocker. It's actually rather ingenious. The safety lever has a cam that drops the hammer but also acts as a hammer block. When in "SAFE" there is no way the hammer can touch the firing pin. Which brings us to the firing pin. It's free floating in the channel and not captive spring. Some folks are worried that it could lead to muzzle down drop fires but tests show that it doesn't. Not enough inertia. The safety system also makes it very easy to clean the firing pin channel. Field strip the pistol, twist the safety lever all the way 'round, wiggle it out, dump the firing pin out of the end of the slide. Easy-peasy.

The PM magazine has a tab extending from the follower at a right angle from the body of the mag. Watch out for that while loading or while thumbing cartridges out of the mag. The dang thing can bite you! Ask me how I know. :oops: However, it does allow for a easy to use reloading tool, resembling an O Ring fitting around the outside of the mag. You can make one yourself with a bit of old hard plastic kitchen cutting board or leftover plexiglass and a dremmel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."