1987 Wanad with a green trigger

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
OG17

Re: 1987 Wanad with a green trigger

Post by OG17 »

Welcome to the forum. I had the same problem with mine, also a 1987 w/green trigger. I ordered a new safety/decocker, detent, detent spring, hammer release, and sear from Numrich, buymilsurp, and eBay. Try to get a detent for a PPK which is a bit smaller than the P83's and it's supposed to work a bit better.. Right now it's at my gunsmith getting the new parts installed. I'm not in a hurry since I got a 1989 from Southern Ohio Guns as a backup in case the 1987 tanked.

Other parts sources are Apex Gun Parts and RTG Parts in addition to eBay and Gunbroker
Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

Thanks for the welcome.

I did get the safety working properly, without taking it apart. Mostly by using penetrating oils.

I like this pistol, am going to try to have a larger front sight installed, perhaps a tritium sight, have a dovetail cut made.
Then I think I will send the lslide and all small parts to Fords to be hardchromed, and have the frame finished in. Birdsongs Black T

My wood grips arrive tomorrow, can't wait to fit them.

And buying 2 more magazines in the future.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I shot my new one yesterday and it's just as accurate as my Bulgy and FEG PA-63. Glad you got yours working w/o having to get new parts. Post pics of the grips when you get them on.
Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

The grips from Grips4U transformed the P83 so much. The factory grips were too large at the heel for my small hands,these wooden grips are smaller and fit my hand perfectly.

Also they really refine the looks of the Wanad!

A much under appreciated pistol.

These grips are worth what they cost..quality!
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Very nice looking grips. Thanks for posting them.
Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

I do not like blued guns, just have had too many bad experiences with rusting while carrying, even after taking extra care to keep them oiled.

I wish I could keep this one blued, but know If I carry it in the summer, what's going to happen.

i want to carry this pistol, so 2 things needed, front sight and new finish.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

You should try picking up some RIG grease and a RIG rag. The only pistol I've had rust issues with is an old Bulgie Mak that was refinished by someone that must have had a contaminated mix. Has gold undertones seen only in the sunlight and like I said is the only one that has had any issues.

Do love the grips by the way, may go this route for my also small girly hands.
Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

Well, after a few days searching, I found a company that will upgrade the sights on my P83.
I will be sending the slide to Ameriguns for them to cut a front dovetail, install a tritium front sight and matching rear sight.

The tiny stock front sight is impossible to see.

After that work, will probably send the slide to be Hard Chromed at Ford's , then have the rest of the pistol done in Birdsongs BlackT. I am not fond of Cerakote, and normally refinish all my guns myself with Norrell's Moly Resin, but wanted something different for this pistol.

Or I may send the slid to be done in Matte Black Ion Bond!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

We would love to see pics of the finished work. Pics of the sight mods too please.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Well, I pulled the trigger on another P83, just don't know if it'll be green. Sportsman's Guide is running these at 189.99 and I needed another one bad, right?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... 911&jb=531
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I also have 2 of them a 1987 and a 1989. Why do I need 2 of them?????? Image Someone please help me!!!!! Image
Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

I detailed stripped my P83 today, am sending the slide out for sights to be installed.

I had a surprise however, as in removing that "green" trigger, found out it was made from aluminum alloy!

Thats the reasoning for the green tint, the black anodizing has worn or it was anodized improperly.

One tremendous advantage over similar designed pistols such as the Walther PPK , is the removeable sear.

Heck , I may get this project completed by the end of this year.. :cry:
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Little package arrived from Minnesota yesterday from Sportsmans Guide. Second 1987, but no green trigger like my other one. Really nice shape though, couldn't resist with the $199.99 delivered price, didn't expect 2 mags either. Just one little rub mark from trigger bar.

Sunset_Va

Post by Sunset_Va »

manicmechanic wrote:Little package arrived from Minnesota yesterday from Sportsmans Guide. Second 1987, but no green trigger like my other one. Really nice shape though, couldn't resist with the $199.99 delivered price, didn't expect 2 mags either. Just one little rub mark from trigger bar.

What a nice pistol!

I have been so tempted to purchase another P83, but decided instead to spend money on customizing the one I have.
In the end, I will have 3x what i paid for mine, and it won't be worth any more money to anyone but me!

I am very impressed with your purchase.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is a nice example at a great price.

If you don't have one what are you waiting for, when they are gone you will be wimping about how you should have got one at that price.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary