P-83 is fine with Hornady Crtical Defense 95 gr.

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Pilot

P-83 is fine with Hornady Crtical Defense 95 gr.

Post by Pilot »

I went to my range today to shoot both my P-83's. The first one I acquired is now a dedicated carry pistol so I wanted to try some SD ammo for reliable function. I put a box (25 rounds) of Hornady Critical Defense, 95 gr ammo through the P-83 I currently carry. It functioned flawlessly, and with similar, excellent accuracy to the Prvi Partisan 9x18 that I have been using for practice. These guns show typical, fixed barrel, Mak type accuracy with any ammo I've tried which is quite good.

I shot my second P-83 just with FMJ, and it worked as flawlessly as my other, also with excellent accuracy. With both pistols firing informally I was able to easily get three inch groups at 15 yards. Again, this was firing casually, more for function than anything else. I'm sure many can get better accuracy with slow fire, dedicated target type shooting. Plus, I am new to the pistol so still getting used to how it shoots.
craig

Re: P-83 is fine with Hornady Crtical Defense 95 gr.

Post by craig »

That's good to know. My P64 and P83 also like Hornrady Critical Defense.
There is no free lunch
DesertAZ

Post by DesertAZ »

I realize this is an old thread but i was curious if you have done any mods to the pistols. Specifically the feed ramp of the 83. I know there have been issues with this round cycling in the P-83 (from what i understand the last few rounds). It may indicate more of a magazine problem. Has anyone else out there run full mags of Hornady with no issues?
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

DesertAZ wrote:I realize this is an old thread but i was curious if you have done any mods to the pistols. Specifically the feed ramp of the 83. I know there have been issues with this round cycling in the P-83 (from what i understand the last few rounds). It may indicate more of a magazine problem. Has anyone else out there run full mags of Hornady with no issues?
Hi. Both my P-83's are totally stock with the only modification being new recoil springs which I replace on every used or surplus gun I buy. I have run full mags of Hornady, and next I will try some other JHP, but the Hornady works in all my 9x18 pistols including the P-83, and Bulgie, and EG Maks.
DesertAZ

Post by DesertAZ »

Thank you for that Pilot. I'm thinking clean mags and a polished feed ramp and it may be a non-issue. Has anyone run into issues with Hornady in their P-83? If so, any indication why or was it resolved? Thanks all.