P-83 safety difficult to operate

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Pilot

P-83 safety difficult to operate

Post by Pilot »

Hi. New here, and new to the P-83. I have wanted a P-83 since I got into Makarovs (PM's) in the earky 90's, and always wanted to add one or two :) to my collection. Well since Wideners has them, I bought one, and it is now one of my primary carry guns. I like it so much, and Wideners has such a great deal, I bought another.

The second P-83 while in very good condition overall has a very stiff safety which is difficult to operate either way. It looks to be in fine condition, and I have let M-Pro 7 gun oil soak in, and around the safety lever which has helped a bit, but not much. The safety lever is not bent, and looks the same as my other P-83.

In doing some reading here, and elsewhere it sounds like the P-83 is a bit more complex than the Mak especially where the safety, and firing pin removal is concerned.

Any tips, or instruction on getting the safety to operate more easily? Will I need to remove the safety lever? Thanks!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-83 safety difficult to operate

Post by Curly1 »

You may have to remove the safety to check for any burrs.

Or if Wideners will do an exchange w/o any cost to you I would go that route.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Curly1 wrote:You may have to remove the safety to check for any burrs.

Or if Wideners will do an exchange w/o any cost to you I would go that route.
Thanks for the reply. I lubed the internal working parts of the safety in the slide, and that seemed to help the ease of movement of the safety lever. It is still a bit hard to decock though. I don't look forward to taking it apart, but I may have to. I really don't see the need to return it at this point, but we'll see if I can get the decocker to work more easily. I will put some rounds downrange with it tomorrow, and see if working the safety and decocker helps.

I like the P-83 as much as my Makarovs, but they do seem a bit more complex.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It just may need to be broken in.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Curly1 wrote:It just may need to be broken in.
That's what I am thinking. I have already made some progress, so maybe some continued use will get the safety, and decocker smoothed out.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Yup you may have to operate the safety for several times to smoothen the pointed tip of the detent. If it doesn't do it, then yes, you may have to dis-assemble and file that detent to make it a bit rounded. You may also file, at an angle, the slot where the detent locks in and out.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

gemini1 wrote:Yup you may have to operate the safety for several times to smoothen the pointed tip of the detent. If it doesn't do it, then yes, you may have to dis-assemble and file that detent to make it a bit rounded. You may also file, at an angle, the slot where the detent locks in and out.
Thanks. It does seem to be breaking in as I had it to the range today, and it functioned flawlessly, and the safety seems to be operating more easily. It is a bit hard to decock still, but that should ease with use I am thinking.