Wanad?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wanad?

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

What does the word "Wanad" (as in P-83 Wanad) mean? Is it a name or an acronym or what?
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
snailman153624

Re: Wanad?

Post by snailman153624 »

Pretty sure it's the element Vanadium; probably referring to the bore plating.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

snailman153624 wrote:Pretty sure it's the element Vanadium; probably referring to the bore plating.
Looks like you were correct: http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-polish/vanadium

Thanks!
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If it makes you feel any better, I had to look it up to be sure, too :P
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Well, you were a good "guesser"! :wink:
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Hurryin' Hoosier wrote:What does the word "Wanad" (as in P-83 Wanad) mean? Is it a name or an acronym or what?

Yeah, it's vanadium. The Polish military(post WWII) has a history of naming their small arms after elements. Don't know why. Maybe just seemed like a good idea @ the time.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Sounded better than "Kielbasa", I guess! :wink:
EMS

Post by EMS »

You think naming a pistol after a chemical element is strange?
Check out "Wielkokalibrowy Karabin Maszynowy WKM" https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/12,7_mm_W ... zynowy_WKM or "WKM WKM" for short. In the Polish army a heavy machine gun is called a WKM and someone came out with the idea to call a Polish variant of the NSV machine gun chambered to fire NATO .50 cal ammunition gun a WKM (comes in two variants WKM-B for land forces and WKM-Utios for the navy).

You can't just call it a "WKM" since somone might mistake it for a "WKM NSV" or another type of "WKM" (HMG) used in the Polish Army, so you have to call it WKM WKM.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

EMS wrote:You think naming a pistol after a chemical element is strange?
Check out "Wielkokalibrowy Karabin Maszynowy WKM" https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/12,7_mm_W ... zynowy_WKM or "WKM WKM" for short. In the Polish army a heavy machine gun is called a WKM and someone came out with the idea to call a Polish variant of the NSV machine gun chambered to fire NATO .50 cal ammunition gun a WKM (comes in two variants WKM-B for land forces and WKM-Utios for the navy).

You can't just call it a "WKM" since somone might mistake it for a "WKM NSV" or another type of "WKM" (HMG) used in the Polish Army, so you have to call it WKM WKM.
So, what's Polish for "Ma Deuce"? :mrgreen:
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

To avoid confusion, P-83s are NOT made with Vanadium.

The original design intent to use Aluminum Vanadium never panned out. Originally in the 70s the project was code named Vanadium (Wanad in Polish). The intent was to design a pistol lighter, easier, and cheaper to produce than the P-64. The idea was to use Aluminum Vanadium to lighten the pistol. However by the 80s the engineers on the project abandoned the idea of using Aluminum Vanadium. They ultimately decided on stamped steel for the final Military production designated P-83.

You can read more about it here:
http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/?d=158
http://js2010.pl/index.php?option=com_c ... &Itemid=75
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Sehr interesant. Thanks, Weasel!
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

What is "vanadium aluminum"? I've heard of vanadium steel, but not the other.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Donzi wrote:What is "vanadium aluminum"? I've heard of vanadium steel, but not the other.
You have it backwards, it's Aluminum Vanadium. Mainly because it was the Aluminum Alloys that were under research for firearms back then. Vanadium would have been used to strengthen the alloy.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.