My new gun

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Jlandis003

My new gun

Post by Jlandis003 »

This is a stock photo (below) of the CZ82 I just purchased... Will upload actual photo when it arrives from aims surplus.

Of course I'll need to shoot several hundred rounds though it before carrying.

Background on gun provided bt TJ Parmele

Background:

Designed by the Czech Engineer Augustin Necas, the CZ-82 (military designation vz.82) was manufactured by the Czechoslovak firm of Ceska Zbrojovka from 1982 through 1994. The CZ-82 replaced the 7.62x25mm Tokarev vz. 52 pistol in Czechoslovak military service in 1982.

Technical:

The CZ-82 is a compact, TDA, semi-automatic pistol with a blowback action and fixed barrel, chambered in 9X18 Makarov. The pistol is made from carbon steel with a matte black finish of some kind that doesn't reflect light and seems durable enough to the casual range user. The staggered double-stack magazine holds 12 rounds + 1 in the chamber for a total of 13 rounds. For convenience, both the frame-mounted thumb safety and the magazine release are ambidextrous. The safety is easy to reach and the allows the gun to be carried in the single action mode similar to the 1911. The mag release is easy to reach as well. The 3.8 inch barrel is chrome-plated and features polygonal rifling. This nifty design replaces the traditional lands and grooves rifling design with a rounded, smooth polygonal pattern which gives the bullet a tighter spin, which equals greater accuracy. The CZ-82 weighs 28 ounces and change empty, and with a full magazine it weighs 33 ounces. The CZ-82's ambidextrous safety is frame mounted and easy to reach, like the 1911's. .
Accuracy:

I found the gun to be very accurate. The sights are fixed, with windage adjustable rear sights. The front sight is a simple blade with a white dot. These are easy to acquire, and follow-up shots are simple and pleasurable to shoot with the Single action trigger. I can put a 1 inch group together at 7 yards, which is pretty good for me. I can't speak for how others would shoot this, only that the pistol pointed naturally for me.

Trigger:

The trigger is hard to describe without a trigger scale. The double action pull is smooth but tends to stack. It's not bad for a military issue formerly Commie pistol. The best thing I could compare it to is a Makarov pistol's DA pull. This one though is lighter, and not as long. The single action is a joy to shoot, with the trigger breaking cleanly without much overtravel.

Disassembly:

This has to be the easiest gun I own for disassembly, whether milsurp or modern.

Take out the magazine

Ensure that there is no round in the chamber.

Pull on the trigger guard, it will move slightly down.

Pull back on the slide and then slowly lift it forward (much like a Makarov, or PPK disassembly)

Put the slide down, and take the recoil spring off of the fixed barrel. That's it.

Reassemble in reverse order (I hate this description).

Miscellaneous:

The CZ-82 is also Curio & Relic eligible when the BATF decreed it as such in October 2007 at the request of a military museum curator (one of the ways to get a firearm on the C&R list the BATF maintains).

The CZ-82's 9MM Makarov chambering is a step above .380ACP for self-defense. (A very small step--ed.) 9MM Makarov ammo is reasonably cheap and there are some companies like Hornady that are making self-defense rounds for it. The CZ-82 is compact, and easy to conceal.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: My new gun

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Recently bought one from AIM Surplus, myself. Not scratched, dinged or beat-up, but I sent it off for a strip and field blue job. Not wild about that black paint!
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Mine shoots great, but the finish is chipped up. I think I got it from J&G.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Congrats! Mine is super-accurate, feels great in the hand, high capacity mags. Very reliable, no jams like nearly all Eastern-Bloc weapons. Grips can get loose, don't over-tighten the screws or the grips will break. Functionally, definitely the top of the 9x18 food chain. Fit & finish? That award goes to the East German Maks.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kind of thinking about a set of Marschal grips for mine. :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
daven

Post by daven »

I have two, one purchased before they became C&R, the other afterwards with my FFL03. Work like champs, either my reloads or any non-steel cased ammo I can find. I must agree however, that of the 9 x 18 Mks, the EG Makarovs are the best finished. DaveN
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

daven wrote:I have two, one purchased before they became C&R, the other afterwards with my FFL03. Work like champs, either my reloads or any non-steel cased ammo I can find. I must agree however, that of the 9 x 18 Mks, the EG Makarovs are the best finished. DaveN
I think that the machine work is great. It's just that black paint that I don't care for. I'm waiting for my first one to come home from being blued and, if I get a second one, I think that it might get hard chromed.