Just got an FEG P63 - Need some help

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
jakeshredder

Just got an FEG P63 - Need some help

Post by jakeshredder »

I just got a FEG P63 to tinker with.

I have a couple of issues with it. First, I can't move the gun from 'FIRE' to 'SAFE' with the gun cocked in order to decock it. I've found a couple threads about a hammer spring but nothing really solid.

The big problem is with field stripping. When I lift the back of the slide up to release it forward, the 2 rails that make the channel for the firing pin get stuck on the barrel. I have to really give it some encouragement to get the slide off of the gun by pulling up on the rear of the slide. It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult (in comparison to YouTube videos where there are tutorials). Reinstalling the slide is an even bigger challenge.

Anyway, just looking for some advice with this thing. Other than that, seems like a fun gun.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Just got an FEG P63 - Need some help

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Jake.

It is possible that someone put a stronger replacement recoil spring on it that makes it more difficult to remove.

Similar slide removal issues were posted with the P64 when the Wollf 22lb replacemet springs were not ground flat on the chamber end of the spring making for a tighter fit.

See if it will decock when you cam the hammer back a bit then use the decocker.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jakeshredder

Post by jakeshredder »

Thanks a lot Curly. I'll check as soon as I get home.

Regarding the spring, it must be an aftermarket. When the slide did come off, it came off with enough force to break the skin on my hand.

On another note, I bought some ammo for it today and WOW, it is not cheap like I expected. 19 bucks for a box for modern day ammo. Is there any surplus ammo available for these things?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Haven't seen surplus around but all ammo is in short supply at the moment.

Online prices when you can find it will be less if you buy 500 rounds or more.

I got 500 rounds a month ago from here when it was in stock.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/ammuniti ... ammunition.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jakeshredder

Post by jakeshredder »

Alright so when I pull the hammer a bit te decocker does work.. What's causing this?

Ill keep an eye out for bulk ammo.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Here's a link with something to try to trouble shoot it.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?2 ... -acting-up

I passed on one of the 2 tone Pa63's at the last fun show because the decocker didn't work, it was NIB also.

There may be a burr on the moving parts attached to the safety that may need smoothing out.

Lets us know what happens.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jakeshredder

Post by jakeshredder »

Thanks,

It seems to be in the frame. I am unable to push down the tab by hand. The safety on the slide moves freely and all of the moving parts are polished nicely.

This is just a gun to have fun with and tinker with. Until I figure out what's up with this decocker am I OK to charge the gun and use the decocker while holding the hammer back (that works) and then slowley drop the hammer once fully on safe?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I would think so.

But to be on the safe side do the pencil test while you are decocking and just let the hammer fall to make sure it is not making contact with the firing pin. If it is the pencil will jump and I would not fire it until it gets fixed.

Then when you go to the range try 1 round in the mag while working the decocker
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
expressdog01

Post by expressdog01 »

when I got a new unfired pa-63 ,for a VERY good price. the decocker would hardly move, I took it home and took the safty out and the company thet put it togather feg i guess had the safty detant in backwards, flat side towards the safty switched it around , works great,
jakeshredder

Post by jakeshredder »

I just got my tools back from a friend's house so I'll take the gun down today and check the detent. Thanks for the tip!

On another note... This dissasembly is reallyh bothering me. The slide is just plain difficult to get on and off. It shouldn't be this way.. The recoil spring seems to be on correctly, small coils on the barrel.
jteubanks1

Post by jteubanks1 »

Hey guys I'm new to the site and somewhat ignorant when it comes to some info about these guns which is why I need your help. Any feedback you can give woukd be greatly appreciated.

Now, down to business.

A few months ago I bought what I was told both the seller (an ex police officer who owns A gun shop similar to a pawn shop), it says "Made In Hungary", "K.B.I. INC." and "HARRISBURG, PA" on the right side of the slide, and it says "FEG" "Budapest", "R61", and "Cal. 9mmM" on the left side. I looked up pictures of the R61 and PA-63 on Google and they look almost identical, so, my first question is, what is my gun, R61 or PA-63?

Next, the second time I took it out to the range, shooting 9x18 Makarovs, the ejector and ejector spring and ejector plunger shot off, never to be found. I went back to tell the gentleman who'd sold me both the gun and bullets, what had happened and he told me i was shooting 9mm Makarovs when it, as it clearly sayd on the slide, is chambered for 9mmM, (i took 9mmM to mean makarovs as i was unaware that they were different) he claimed they were two different bullets. So, my question now is whether or not there is a difference between 9mmM and 9mm Makarov? More importantly what does my gun shoot? because I had read that the R61 is on a PA-63 frame but has been rebarreled to .380 so I have no idea what to shoot in it.

Again any feedback would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
jteubanks1

Post by jteubanks1 »

By the way, the gun i mentioned above is two toned, silver colored (what appears to be aluminum) body with what looks like a blued steel ( dark in color) slide

Also as i was researching the gun to find these extractor parts, once i found out you coudnt get the original parts because they are unavailable, i noticed it was a clone of the walther PP and some parts were interchangeable, i also noticed that many parts for other guns modeled after the walther were also compatable with the PA-63 so my question, for you avid Foreign arms users and Gunsmiths out there is will the extractor assembly (extractor, extractor spring, and extractor plunger) fit my PA-63/R61, whichever it is?

Again i am new to the site and this aspect of weaponry and i apologize if my questions are tedious to read for you more adept firearms fellas, but your feedback is welcomed. Thank you again.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

9mm Makarov is correct.

Sounds like the R61 to me. Just like the markings on this one.
http://www.hungariae.com/FegR61.htm

The "Made In Hungary", "K.B.I. INC." and "HARRISBURG, PA" is just the importer mark.

Not for sure, but a PP extractor should fit.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

They guy sold you the makarov ammo then he tells you they are the wrong ones for the gun????

I would never do business with that guy again.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker and ebay if the PP parts don't work out.

Let us know what happens.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

jteubanks1 wrote:A few months ago I bought what I was told both the seller (an ex police officer who owns A gun shop similar to a pawn shop), it says "Made In Hungary", "K.B.I. INC." and "HARRISBURG, PA" on the right side of the slide, and it says "FEG" "Budapest", "R61", and "Cal. 9mmM" on the left side. I looked up pictures of the R61 and PA-63 on Google and they look almost identical, so, my first question is, what is my gun, R61 or PA-63?

Next, the second time I took it out to the range, shooting 9x18 Makarovs, the ejector and ejector spring and ejector plunger shot off, never to be found. I went back to tell the gentleman who'd sold me both the gun and bullets, what had happened and he told me i was shooting 9mm Makarovs when it, as it clearly sayd on the slide, is chambered for 9mmM, (i took 9mmM to mean makarovs as i was unaware that they were different) he claimed they were two different bullets. So, my question now is whether or not there is a difference between 9mmM and 9mm Makarov? More importantly what does my gun shoot? because I had read that the R61 is on a PA-63 frame but has been rebarreled to .380 so I have no idea what to shoot in it.

Again any feedback would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
I believe you have an R61. How many round in the magazine? The R61 holds 6 rounds, the PA63 holds 7. However, because the slide is marked R61, that's, well, pretty definitive.

The R61 was chambered in 9x18 Makarov. Your gun is stamped for that cartridge. In Europe the .380ACP is usually known as: 9mm Kurtz, 9mm Corto, 9x17mm or sometimes stamped 9mmK or 9mmC. A 9mmM stamp clearly indicates the 9x18 Makarov chambering. Whether or not it was rebarreled to a .380ACP and the slide not re-stamped, is another issue. Remove the slide and drop a .380ACP cartridge (or preferably a dummy-round/snap-cap) into the chamber. If it falls below the rim and sits a little loose in the chamber, then the barrel is clearly chambered for a 9x18 Makarov. Compare the results with fitting a 9mm Mak snap in the chamber. Having said that, a .380ACP would most likely "sort of" chamber and fire. I wouldn't recommend it for many reasons but I doubt it would cause a kaboom. It would be hard on the extractor, however, because the extractor would be forced to hold the case in place instead of allowing the mouth of the case to headspace against the chamber. Because the OD of a Makarov bullet (the bullet itself) is 9.27 mm (0.365 in), greater than the .380ACP which measures at .355 in (9.0 mm), if you were shooting 9x18 Makarov in a gun chambered for .380ACP, I would highly expect an over-pressure event and subsequent kaboom.

I suspect that the reason the parts flew off is because the pin walked out. Parts from a Walther PP or a PA63 may be interchangeable, particularly with some hand fitting. I'd bet on the PA63 parts before the PP parts, however.

Do not trust the guy at the LGS you have been speaking to. Heck, be extra cautions when speaking to LGS guys in any event. Sometimes they're quite knowledgeable, sometimes... well...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."