Makarov caliber conversion.

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
bear34

Makarov caliber conversion.

Post by bear34 »

Is it relatively easy to swap barrels back and forth once you have done the initial conversion?
lklawson

Re: Makarov caliber conversion.

Post by lklawson »

You need a tool, usually a "press." The more often you swap out these barrels, the more wear is going to go on the pin and mount.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I gotta imagine that would be a royal pain, given that the barrel is fixed to the frame. :shock:
bear34

Post by bear34 »

bear34 wrote:Is it relatively easy to swap barrels back and forth once you have done the initial conversion?

What about if the hole was tapped so you could use a set screw instead of a pin?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bear34 wrote:
bear34 wrote:Is it relatively easy to swap barrels back and forth once you have done the initial conversion?

What about if the hole was tapped so you could use a set screw instead of a pin?
You would still need a press for removing and installing the barrel. Also as stated the more you do it the more you are going to wear on the frame around the barrel. That wear will equate to problems in accuracy, function, and could even cause a catastrophic failure.

Swapping the barrels back and forth on these is not relatively easy. It's not a good idea to do it frequently. Furthermore I really don't see why you'd want to.

Why not just get two Makarovs, one in each caliber that you want?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 get another in the caliber you want to swap to. Why mess with a good thing?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bear34

Post by bear34 »

Curly1 wrote:+1 get another in the caliber you want to swap to. Why mess with a good thing?

I bought a 380 barrel just because I had heard some rumor to the effect that 9x18 ammo might dry up at some point. I'm not planning on switching out, just trying to get info.

However, if I could ever get my hands on one of those 22lr conversion kits I would be pleased. I like the feel of the Makarov. Like it was made just for my hand.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bear34 wrote:I bought a 380 barrel just because I had heard some rumor to the effect that 9x18 ammo might dry up at some point. I'm not planning on switching out, just trying to get info.
For info on this, there is a whole right up found here: http://www.makarov.com/barrlrep.html

There have been a lot of those rumors going around. But they are just that "rumors".
bear34 wrote:However, if I could ever get my hands on one of those 22lr conversion kits I would be pleased. I like the feel of the Makarov. Like it was made just for my hand.
Yeah those are pretty dried up. Also most of them are closer to plug n play than the 380 conversion. Right now there is one on Gunbroker with a Bulgy for over $800. For a $250 Bulgy and a $250 22lr. Conv. Kit (they had been selling from $200-300), that's some mark up.

If you can find them the Dunav kits come package better. Here's an example of ones sold in 2010: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/m ... x?a=647739
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I can't imagine the 9x18 ever drying-up, it's well established now. My experience is that it's easier to find locally (and on-line) than the .380
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If they ban importation of ammo then there would be a problem, as far as I know most of it is not made here..
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary