Odd safety on a P-83

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Polish HG

Odd safety on a P-83

Post by Polish HG »

I noticed when you flip the safety on my P-83.. ..when the gun is cocked.... the hammer moves forward as if it was firing....glad I did it with no ammo in the gun

Does this put the hammer down safety so I can carry with a round in the chamber

When I flip the safety on my PA-63.....when loaded....it goes half way like my 1911....but on this one you push the switch all the way up and the hammer falls

????????
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Odd safety on a P-83

Post by juniustaylor »

HG, the safety is also a decocker. Just like the P-64. When you move the safety to cover the red dot (putting it on SAFE) it will cause the hammer to fall but it will not strike the firing pin. What you are describing is normal operation.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

Here's the gun that I'm still trying to figure out

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

I see some "odd" sights on that pistol. Any idea who makes them? Importer installed?
Nice looking unusual importer. Thanks for sharing.
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

fully machined wrote:I see some "odd" sights on that pistol. Any idea who makes them? Importer installed?
Nice looking unusual importer. Thanks for sharing.

From the “limited” info I can find on the internet I have the Polish P-83 Vanad/Wanad Eagle Edition from what I can tell

The standard P-83 has smaller sights and a different hammer

Billy
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

I missed the round hammer. I think these were the first P-83's to come over. May want to put it up and get one of the newly imported ones---OR sell it to me!!!
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

fully machined wrote:I missed the round hammer. I think these were the first P-83's to come over. May want to put it up and get one of the newly imported ones---OR sell it to me!!!
I found this on the Polish Firearms Page

"Small quantities of P-83's were exported to the USA. These as well as the newly manufactured civilian guns have different markings on the slide: a Polish eagle followed by "RADOM wz. P-83 9x18 POLAND Z.M. LUCZNIK". Name of the importing company is stamped on the left side of the frame. Guns used by Polish military and police are marked "9mm P-83"."
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

It's a decocker as well as a safety. That's what it's supposed to do.

Interesting P-83 btw. I have a couple of them, and your hammer and sights look different. Mine have the goofy spur hammer.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

btw you're not using your PA-63 properly, or it's broken. the PA-63 should operate the same way. Safety should go all the way up, hammer should drop.
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

Legally Armed wrote:Interesting P-83 btw. I have a couple of them, and your hammer and sights look different. Mine have the goofy spur hammer.
I have a Polish P-83 Vanad/Wanad Eagle Edition...only a hand full were made

I believe you have the military / police version
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

Legally Armed wrote:btw you're not using your PA-63 properly, or it's broken. the PA-63 should operate the same way. Safety should go all the way up, hammer should drop.
I checked my PA-63 and when the hammer is cocked the safety moves down halfway and frees the trigger, but the hammer stays cocked
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Polish HG wrote:
Legally Armed wrote:btw you're not using your PA-63 properly, or it's broken. the PA-63 should operate the same way. Safety should go all the way up, hammer should drop.
I checked my PA-63 and when the hammer is cocked the safety moves down halfway and frees the trigger, but the hammer stays cocked
That is ABSOLUTELY a malfunction and not how it is supposed to work. Under no conditions should you store or carry that gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer back.
Polish HG

Post by Polish HG »

Legally Armed wrote:
Polish HG wrote:
That is ABSOLUTELY a malfunction and not how it is supposed to work. Under no conditions should you store or carry that gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer back.

I found a u-tube video that showed how it works, so I went back and checked my PA-63 and found the safety switch is stiff, but will move the hammer up

I think the gun was never used...even the spring is strong/stiff and takes a lot of pull to cock the gun
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Polish HG wrote:I found a u-tube video that showed how it works, so I went back and checked my PA-63 and found the safety switch is stiff, but will move the hammer up

I think the gun was never used...even the spring is strong/stiff and takes a lot of pull to cock the gun
Glad you got it squared away.. and I'm not surprised at all your PA-63 seems previously unused. I've never seen one that showed any signs of use when imported. Every one I've seen looks 100% NIB when opened up. I guess the Hungarians built a whole lot more of these than they needed, then just stuffed them in storage.