HELP NEEDED WITH P-83 DISASSEMBLY

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
ABTOMAT

HELP NEEDED WITH P-83 DISASSEMBLY

Post by ABTOMAT »

Hi. I just purchased a 1991 dated P-83. While I generally like it I've found that disassembly is not as user friendly as my Makarovs. Given that parts appear to be a bit scarce, I don't feel enthusiastic about charging ahead with a full strip down. I would very much like to remove the firing pin and safety in order to clean them and clear out the channel. Is there anyone out there in P-64 land that could help me? Thank you, ABTOMAT
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: HELP NEEDED WITH P-83 DISASSEMBLY

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, check out this thread for a recommendation on removing the pin.

http://m.p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3441

On a side note I don't remove the firing pins on any of my weapons unless I think they are a problem.

To clean I place my spray cleaner, Rem Action cleaner, straw over the firing pin hole and shoot it in there till it runs out the other end, then do the same with a can of compressed air or compressor to clear out excess fluid and gunk.

Repeat until the cleaner fluid runs clean.Then a very small shot of lube spray followed by compressed air to get out the excess.

Good luck.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
ABTOMAT

Post by ABTOMAT »

Thank you! ABTOMAT
ABTOMAT

Post by ABTOMAT »

Hello. Well, I did figure out how to remove the firing pin. I'd avoid it if at all possible. For a complete description of the diassembly process go to the Makarov.com message board. Yours, ABTOMAT
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Are you saying there is a P83 disassembly instructions on the Mak.com site?

Can you post a link to it, I could only find the Makarov pistol disassembly info.

Thanx.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
ABTOMAT

Post by ABTOMAT »

I put it under my original "need help" posting. It is a bit long. The short version is keep the safety lever at about the 2:00 position when you remove and insert it and it can be done, but not by me again! Regards, ABTOMAT
telcontar56

Post by telcontar56 »

Thanks to all for the invaluable information here on the site. I have a P-83, and was experimenting with various hollow point rounds to find one that feeds properly. Unfortunately, after emptying a couple magazines, I looked down, and the tang was missing off the safety. Just snapped right off while shooting! Very disappointing, and totall y inexpected as it should not a part to encounter stress while firing. I presume a previous owner must have dropped it causig stress fractures and final failure.

I just won the bid on gunbroker for a replacement safety, and while waiting for the new safety to arrive, have removed the existing safety. My problem is, on reassembly, I cannot get the firing pin to feed back throught the barrel of the safety, just seems to get hung up somewhere. Any words of wisdom on reassembly? I feel like I'm missing something, with the gun on my table in pieces.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

telcontar56,

The firing pin does NOT feed through the safety during re-assembly. You need to put the firing pin in first, and hold it forward of the safety while installing the safety.

It's very similar to the instructions in this sticky for the PA-63:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2435

Here is another link:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3971

I think there is more around here on it, but can't seem to find it.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

telcontar56,

Here are two other threads with some general info you might find useful too:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4857&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3441
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
telcontar56

Post by telcontar56 »

Thanks Weasel640,

I did not explain myself clearly enough. The firing pin is installed first. My problem is getting it back out through the safety. It seems to be getting hung up on something. I suspect the alignment between the firing pin and safety, considering the age and wear on the parts
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

telcontar56,

You might try double checking to make sure your firing pin is rotated to the correct direction. Below is a picture I took of mine (had to use a flash light from the side to get the firing pin to show right). The hook at the back end of the firing pin should be rotated downward. Once the safety is rotated to fire, the firing pin spring should pop it back out if it's oriented correctly. Then when rotated to safe the hook latches down onto the edge of the firing pin channel. Hope this helps. If not you may need to post some pics of whats going on with yours.

Weasel

telcontar56

Post by telcontar56 »

It looked like it was oriented corrrectly, staring through the safety barrel. After placeing the slide in a vise, clamping the firing pin with a pair of hemostats, and oiling the daylights out of it, it finally popped through. Here's a picture of the safety:
Attachments
safety.pdf
(202.42 KiB) Downloaded 563 times