Grips for CZ-82

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Grips for CZ-82

Post by juniustaylor »

I bought some grips off eBay last month for my CZ-82. I got them in this morning, it took 20 days. Not too terrible. They seem to look pretty good. I had to do some work on them to get them to fit properly. Mostly just relieving some wood was all for the grip screws and a couple places that were touching the frame where they shouldn't be. I paid $40 for them, that was with free shipping. I sent an email to the feller and asked if there was any warranty on cracking if I take them out the first day and they break. He sent me an email back and said that fitting them was okay and that if they crack, he'd take care of it. The feller is located in Thailand and goes by the name jaruwan.p. Figured I'd share.

I didn't take much notice of the picture on eBay, but mine are flat panel and do not have the thumb rest area. I was a little bummed about it, but it's my own fault and they still fit my hand real well. So, I'm not too worried about it. I will post pictures when I get my camera battery charged, dumb Olympus camera and their proprietary batteries.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Grips for CZ-82

Post by juniustaylor »

Got rid of the crappy pictures.... got my camera to work for a bit. I really like the natural look of them, the "stripes" are what caught my eye to begin with on eBay.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Went shooting with it tonight for the first time since I put the grips on. I got about 15 rounds through it and the right grip panel broke in half. From the time I broke the grip, drove home, and sent a couple emails back and forth to the feller in Thailand, I had my refund back in about 1 to 1.5 hours. At first he wanted me to ship them, but I sent him some pictures of them and he was satisfied and said not to bother and he immediately refunded my money back to my PayPal. Jaruwan.P on eBay is a fine seller and a fair, honest person to deal with! It was no hassle.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

So, now the original plastic grips have resumed their throne back on the pistol and are reinstated to their former glory. At least they won't give out on me and let me down. :)
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:Went shooting with it tonight for the first time since I put the grips on. I got about 15 rounds through it and the right grip panel broke in half.
Wood grips for the CZ82 are notorious for breaking. It's a shame too.
From the time I broke the grip, drove home, and sent a couple emails back and forth to the feller in Thailand, I had my refund back in about 1 to 1.5 hours. At first he wanted me to ship them, but I sent him some pictures of them and he was satisfied and said not to bother and he immediately refunded my money back to my PayPal. Jaruwan.P on eBay is a fine seller and a fair, honest person to deal with! It was no hassle.
Sounds like a great person to do biz with.

I've been seriously contemplating wood grips for my PA63 for several years now, maybe I'll see what he has to offer.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I had honestly figured they were going to break. They are just made so thin and the way the grips attach to the CZ82 was another concern. So, I was not mad that they broke, just disappointed because they looked so darn good. I'm just glad that the seller stood behind his product and refunded the money. I really didn't want to try another set for fear they would break as well, plus I didn't want to wait another 20 days to get them in the mail either. :D
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

Can you show us a picture of where / how the grip broke? Did it break along the grain?

I wonder if one could epoxy a thin metal plate on the back of the wood to take the stress.

Dave
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:I had honestly figured they were going to break. They are just made so thin and the way the grips attach to the CZ82 was another concern. So, I was not mad that they broke, just disappointed because they looked so darn good. I'm just glad that the seller stood behind his product and refunded the money. I really didn't want to try another set for fear they would break as well, plus I didn't want to wait another 20 days to get them in the mail either. :D
I'm a big fan of wood grips on handguns. Really classes up the firearm in my opinion.

But the '82 is absolutely notorious for cracking wood grips. The CZ forum has had several threads on it. Heck, even CZ-USA grips seem to be vulnerable. I'm not sure about Marshall grips. I know he works stink'n hard to make sure that his stuff doesn't crack. I assume he had to go through several iterations.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Hinermad, sure, here are pictures. As for a metal plate, doesn't look like it's possible. It followed the grain all the way up starting where the heel part of the grip is. Pretty sure it broke there and made its way up to the screw, and then on up to the top.

Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

Thanks for posting the photos. I doubt there's room for a backing plate.

Dave
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, they're pretty much toast. I tried to put a dab of wood glue down the length of them but there is no way to hold them together tight for it to cure. I'm just going to pitch them and I don't think it's worth fixing and I got my money back out of the deal, so I don't care. I may throw some super glue on them, reliever where I think it was hitting and see how long they hold. Haha.
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

It's a shame to toss those, they look great. I haven't had much luck with super glue on wood, but if it's dense enough it might hold.

My suspicion is recoil pushed the frame, and consequently the grip screw, back sharply while friction tried to hold the forward part of the grip against your hand. The hole for the screw is a weak point already, and the force was applied right in the middle of it, separating the wood. It might have held longer if the grain ran sideways instead of vertically, but I think it would have failed sooner or later.

Dave
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Dave, I think you're right.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

that's sandalwood , I think its the same guy that dose my grips on some of my some of my mouse guns ,

you might try and see if you can't get him to do some ebony grips , its a lot stronger wood

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dcsadmin

Post by dcsadmin »

I had the same issue with these grips for my cz-82. The grips I had broke the first time I pulled the slide back. I sent them back for a full refund. The wood is way too thin for them to hold up.