What type/brand of ammo do you like to feed to your pistols?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
cubsfan

What type/brand of ammo do you like to feed to your pistols?

Post by cubsfan »

I'm just curious as to what type/ brand of ammo you prefer for your favorite P-64, Makarov, PA-63, CZ-82, P-83, etc? I know it has been discussed some here before but I guess I am looking for an update. I have been using Silver Bear and it seems to be good ammo but I cannot find it locally. I was looking at the copper washed stuff at Classic arms but I have never shot it. I have used the cheap Monarch stuff from Academy (only stuff available locally) and it is ok but that lacquer gets dirty and stinks. I am just looking for the best for the buck ammo out there. I need to stock up. I am also planning on using my CZ-82 or my P-83 to shoot a pistol/shotgun class next month.
Thanks.
Hinermad

Re: What type/brand of ammo do you like to feed to your pist

Post by Hinermad »

I haven't had my pistol for very long, and so far I've only shot a couple boxes of Blazer 95 grain TMJ through it. So far I've had zero issues with it. No feed problems, no ejection problems (unless you count picking up cases ten yards away), and it's more accurate than I am.

I do have one issue with it - it's $25 a box at Gander Mountain. I bought some Silver Bear hollowpoints for half that price online, but I haven't tried them yet.

Dave
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Cubsfan
I smiled a little when you said you might use the the cz82 for a pistol class. for one of my permits I have to qualify once a year .I always take the CZ 82 to the range that day, I enjoy watching others there giving me side glance and almost in disdain ,when I use this milsurp hand gun. But I enjoy it more when after we are done it out does thier high priced factory stuff. I wont take credit for the results it is the gun..it is an awesome pistol.. NOW whlie on my local range and just playing I use my own reloads,However when on the qualifying range I use Silverbear fmj .Never any problems I buy or bought in large quantities on line, even thou I can get other stuff locally
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

anjdrifter wrote:Cubsfan
I smiled a little when you said you might use the the cz82 for a pistol class. for one of my permits I have to qualify once a year .I always take the CZ 82 to the range that day, I enjoy watching others there giving me side glance and almost in disdain ,when I use this milsurp hand gun. But I enjoy it more when after we are done it out does thier high priced factory stuff. I wont take credit for the results it is the gun..it is an awesome pistol.. NOW whlie on my local range and just playing I use my own reloads,However when on the qualifying range I use Silverbear fmj .Never any problems I buy or bought in large quantities on line, even thou I can get other stuff locally
Thanks. In fact, my wife is going to shoot a women's intro pistol class with the CZ-82 I bought her. She loves that pistol and she's a good shot with it. I just have to find her a mag reloader.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

And I guess I'll be placing an order for some Silver Bear FMJ. Might throw in a couple boxes of HP's too. I had a feeling that was the way to go, just wanted to see if I was missing something.

Thanks ya'll.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

Hinermad wrote:I haven't had my pistol for very long, and so far I've only shot a couple boxes of Blazer 95 grain TMJ through it. So far I've had zero issues with it. No feed problems, no ejection problems (unless you count picking up cases ten yards away), and it's more accurate than I am.

I do have one issue with it - it's $25 a box at Gander Mountain. I bought some Silver Bear hollowpoints for half that price online, but I haven't tried them yet.

Dave
Gander Mtn is the last place I'd buy ammo from. But they do offer free shipping if you buy from the website and it seems to be a better deal as well, that is if they deliver to your state. Silver bears seem ok to me, just dirty.
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

mike1050 wrote:Gander Mtn is the last place I'd buy ammo from. But they do offer free shipping if you buy from the website and it seems to be a better deal as well, that is if they deliver to your state. Silver bears seem ok to me, just dirty.
There's a Gander Mountain store near where I work and they have the 9mm Mak and 7.62x54R that I can't get from Dick's Sporting Goods. As soon as I get a bigger locking cabinet for ammunition I'm going to start buying more online. It doesn't make much economic sense to buy 1 or 2 boxes at $7-$10 each and pay $12 shipping.

Thanks for the note about Silver Bear. It sounds like it's worth looking more closely at.

Dave
Scout

Post by Scout »

I was given a box of 50 Silver Bear when I bought my P64... Then when I went to my regular indoor range I was informed that I couldn't shoot it there because it is steel core (neither was I allowed to shoot Tul or Wolf either)... Started looking around and found the best selection at CheaperThanDirt ( http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemList ... ?catid=738 ) and ordered the Sellier & Bellot FMJ.... Great plinking ammo!! Reloadable and reliable, I have put 250 rounds through without an issue so far. For everyday defense use I recommend the Hornady hollow points though.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Scout, the reason the ranges won't let you shoot the Bear brands is not that it's steel core (which is highly illegal in the US), but it's because of the actual jacketing itself. The jacketing is bi-metal. It contains copper and steel which is why a magnet will lightly stick to the bullet itself. The core is still lead. It's good shooting stuff, but doesn't compare to the mighty reloads.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Scout

Post by Scout »

Excuse me then... but they did run a magnet over the ammo and told me I could not use it. I guess I should be more careful in posting replies in the future when I have something to add to the conversation.... :?

Have a great day.
sixgun

Post by sixgun »

Scout wrote:Excuse me then... but they did run a magnet over the ammo and told me I could not use it. I guess I should be more careful in posting replies in the future when I have something to add to the conversation.... :?

Have a great day.
Scout, I thank you for the input about ranges not allowing steel or magnetic ammo. Thanks again for the heads up....
Scout

Post by Scout »

sixgun wrote: Scout, I thank you for the input about ranges not allowing steel or magnetic ammo. Thanks again for the heads up....
You're very welcome. Outdoor ranges don't seem to care, but indoor ones are concerned with ricochets (...at least that what the range officer told me). Oh well, their range, their rules... At least they were nice about it. Got a lot of "Oooo... Can I see that?" when I showed them the gun for checking. The 9x18 ammo in general is hard to get here locally (Central NC).... If you can find it where you are I suggest stocking up.... or start reloading (Lee and Hornady sell the die sets for not a lot of $$$)
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

Scout wrote:You're very welcome. Outdoor ranges don't seem to care, but indoor ones are concerned with ricochets (...at least that what the range officer told me)
Interesting. I'd heard that outdoor ranges in dry areas out west don't permit steel because they want to avoid sparking, which can cause brush fires. I can't say if that was from an authority or just supposition though.

I guess I'm lucky. My club's outdoor range allows pretty much anything but tracers. Although they'd probably balk at depleted uranium. (grin)

Dave
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Scout, I was not bashing your comment AT ALL. I do not go on here just to bash people's stuff. I was simply stating a FACT in case the person at the indoor range led you to believe something false. I don't know what made you flip out over what I said?? That's great that you want to comment, but don't fly off the handle when someone "adds" something to what you stated. It's a two way street.

Another reason that they don't like the steel core (rifle) jacketed (pistol) ammo is that the indoor ranges use rubber (tires?) in their backstops. They say that the spark from metal to metal contact can cause the rubber to catch on fire. Seems logical in the sense of the outdoor ranges claiming fire hazard.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Scout

Post by Scout »

juniustaylor wrote:Scout, I was not bashing your comment AT ALL. I do not go on here just to bash people's stuff. I was simply stating a FACT in case the person at the indoor range led you to believe something false. I don't know what made you flip out over what I said?? That's great that you want to comment, but don't fly off the handle when someone "adds" something to what you stated. It's a two way street.

Another reason that they don't like the steel core (rifle) jacketed (pistol) ammo is that the indoor ranges use rubber (tires?) in their backstops. They say that the spark from metal to metal contact can cause the rubber to catch on fire. Seems logical in the sense of the outdoor ranges claiming fire hazard.
Really..?? Seems to me you were waiting in the wings to slam the "new guy". The original post asked a question about ammo (type, availability, etc) and I answered and also gave some advice concerning my particular experience... then you came around in a VERY brusk manner (I am a Southerner and politeness STILL matters to me, sir) ...simply to say I was in the wrong. NOT to answer the original thread or add anything other than to (seemingly) give yourself a sense of superiority. The forum does not belong to you alone and courtesy should be extended to ALL here... even the new guys (2 way street, you say?). It's no surprise really, people can be very brave over the internet when not face to face.... but it still can be infuriating to me. THAT is why I'm "flipping out" as you stated... :? THINK about how your original post looked and was perceived and take it for what it's worth. As for me, I will no longer engage you in this anymore...We're done.