FEG SMC-918

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
blackblade

FEG SMC-918

Post by blackblade »

I was lucky enough to come across three SMC-918 pistols in almost new condition. I haven't seen any for several months and then suddenly these came up for sale:

I got out to the club late in the day so I was lined up with the sun directly in my eyes. I tested each pistol to determine which would go into the collection and which would go be set aside as back up and for parts.

It was calm, partly cloudy and about 85F outside. The only problem was it was late in the day and I was facing west into the sun.

All three functioned flawlessly and at 30' they all hit the mark. One has a very light trigger (last photo). The trigger pull is noticeably smoother and lighter than most of the other Makarov calibre pistols in the collection although it's also quite "snappy". One thing that I liked is that they have the western style mag release on the side of the frame rather than the mag release on the heel like many other Makarov calibre guns. These make for very nice CCW pocket guns when small is what you need.

- Black Blade
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: FEG SMC-918

Post by papabear »

Good range report and very good shooting at 10yds and btw your range is dog gone nice, plum purdy and those 3 FEG SMC-918's do look LNIB, great find, thanks for sharing.

Papa
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I know that this is an older thread but I just came across one of these for sale and wondering how it compares to the P64 in size and quality and function. Should I buy it? Is it better or worse or about the same?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

surfzombie wrote:I know that this is an older thread but I just came across one of these for sale and wondering how it compares to the P64 in size and quality and function. Should I buy it? Is it better or worse or about the same?
This page has some info and a few pic comparing a SMC-918 and a P64 as well as a KT P3AT.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I like the SMC-918 better but they are more expensive and harder to find than the P-64. For the price the P-64 is great. If you can get the SMC then grab it. The SMC has the mag release under the slide like western guns rather than on the heel. I may yet get another one or two if I find them at the right price.