FEG SMC 380 FTF

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
jft

FEG SMC 380 FTF

Post by jft »

Just purchased a very good condition SMC 380. Appears to not have been fired. Took it to the range, and was very disappointed to have it missfire alot. It has issues with all types of ammo and mostly when using double action. I put a heavier hammer spring in it, and it seems worse. It even missfires occassionally at single action. Firing pin looks fine, does not bind up and everything seems to be perfect mechanically. Please give me any suggestions you might have as I really want this gun to work out for my CCW. Thanks
DoubleTap

Re: FEG SMC 380 FTF

Post by DoubleTap »

How many rounds have you put through it? If it's a brand new gun, it may require some break-in. I wouldn't even consider carrying a pistol until I had ran a couple of hundred rounds through it.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Are you sure about the firing pin? If the tip has been broken, worn, or reshaped incorrectly, that might account for the issue.

Have you removed the firing pin and checked the pin for burrs and the chamber for burrs and fouling?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

It didn't come loaded with cosmoline did it? You may try giving it a real good... REAL good... cleaning if you already haven't. I guess try some experimenting. Put a pencil (eraser first) into the muzzle, cock hammer, and pull trigger. It should send the pencil sailing. How do the primer strikes look on the cartridges that don't fire?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

jft
what kind of spring did you put in it ,and how heavy , where they PPK spring's or were they PA 63 springs, PPK springs are to short, you need to put PA-63 springs in it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jft

Post by jft »

Wow, you guys are awesome. I hoped for possibly one or two replies, and got more. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have put about 150 rounds through the gun. All differant brands, FMJ and HP. Feeds perfect, and the primers are dented good both with the old and new springs. It did not seem to be any paticular brand of ammo either. I have not taken the firing pin out of the gun but will do so. Also, it did not have very much cosmo in it, but gave it a good clean and lube before ever shooting it. I have several P-63's and a bunch of springs for them and I tried one of them. Trigger pull on double action is considerabaly heavier and manual cocking of the hammer is also stiffer.
I have several Makarov's, P-63's and a P-64 and all have been flawless. This gun is by far the nicest looking and fits my hand so well, just a neat gun. I will keep trying the suggestions until I get it ironed out. Thanks again for all the help. Will keep you posted.
jft

Post by jft »

I just had to try the pencil thing. It shot it out about 5 feet. Was pretty impressive. I also forgot to answer Norms spring question completely. The spring I took out, looked to be the same diameter of material as the original P-63 springs, only shorter. So I had 13 lb. P-63 spring that was about 1/4 inch longer than the original SMC spring, but of smaller diameter material. This is what I put in it. Sorry for being so long winded, but wanted to answer all the suggestions as complete as I can. Thanks, JFT
jft

Post by jft »

Okay, I found the problem and it was me! I decided to strip it down once more after putting the new spring in it. I found that I must have dropped one of the sear pins after taking the grips off. I used a large plastic bag, (as per Norm's disassembly instructions) and took the grips out of the bag after removing them. Somehow, one of the pins dropped and I didn't notice it. I thought I was being so careful, but some how I missed that. Amazing that it still shot at all. Anyway, I found the pin, put it back in and all problems are gone. Fired about 75 rounds at the range of various brands of ammo, and not one FTF. The gun shoots real well, but not as accurate as my P64. Both are keepers.
brentb636

Post by brentb636 »

Those sear pins have a way of hitting the floor, a mind of their own ! :) Glad it was such an easy fix. I have a new SMC 380 , shoots just fine so far, but not looking for problems. :)