German Mak. For those of you that own a DDR (AKA E.G Mak) are they
worth it to you? I'm thinking they aren't going to get any cheaper or
more pleantiful, so I better move on one soon If I'm going to move
at all. What say you?

Robert
stover

Re: E.G. Makarov?

Post by stover »

Fit and finish is nicer on the D.D.R. and they obviously have more collector value. For a shooter / CCW piece the Bulgarian is every bit as good -- They just take a little breaking in.
I find that I carry my Bulgarian or one of my Polish guns (p64/p83) daily while the D.D.R. Makarov pulls home defense duty in the safe.
bvd1

Post by bvd1 »

I think the E.G. have a nicer finish but several of my Bulgys have a tighter slide to frame fit than any of my East Germans.
stover

Post by stover »

Main difference on mine is the trigger. The bulgy took a lot of shooting and some stone work to get the trigger close to the D.D.R's
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I own both . I just barely bought my Bulgy (military) and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I consider the E.G to be a Cadillac and the Bulgy to be a Buick based solely on fit and finish. Scour the classifieds daily for good deals. I bought my E.G just over a month ago for just under $300 with three mags, holster, cleaning rod and 5 1/2 boxes of ammo and I bought my bulgy last week Military two mags, holster, cleaning rod and 8 1/2 boxes of ammo for $225. You will have to watch the ads closely because these deal appear and disappear very quickly sometimes within just an hour.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

The East German Maks (or "K100"s) are definitely the cream of the crop when it comes to PMs. I'm always amazed when I pick mine up how it screams "quality". Hard to explain, but you'll know the first time you handle/shoot one. It has far less recoil than any other 9x18 I own too, not sure if the previous owner changed the springs or what. If you come across one for under $350 or so, get it by all means, you won't be disappointed. I got a perfect, "like new condition" K100 a couple of months back in the local classifieds for $200, and that included a flawless holster and two mags that look like they've never been used. I guess the previous owner just assumed it was a regular Russian or Bulgarian PM, as did I by the price he was asking. I called him anyway and asked about the markings before I realized what he was selling. The second he said "K100" I yelled "I'LL TAKE IT!".

That said, she's a safe queen. I can't bear to let her get beat up.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Yep, I picked one up with a couple of boxes of ammo, box,and a holster for 250 a while back. Had a little muzzle wear but other than that just a sweet shooter for sure.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My DDR Mak is just as accurate as my Feg PA63 which makes it a tack driver plus the fit and finish is as good as you can buy from any high end manufacturer. When you consider that these are weapons that have seen a life time of use in the East German Republic prior to refurbishment then sale to the U.S., I believe they fall into the category of great handguns.
G.R.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

E.G's are better. They were made at the Simon-Suhl plant where other historic German arms were made. They have a better reputation and most I've seen have better finishes. Even the consensus netwide is that E.G's are better than original Russian military issue. I suppose they're slightly more collectable too because no one knows if a given E.G. is ex Stasi issue. I suppose that would be like saying a Russian military Mak MIGHT have been carried by a KGB man, but then again some border guards were technically KGB in Russia and many border guards were Stasi in E.G. It kind of helps in the possible espionage appeal of certain cold war Makarovs.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

I own a DDR specimen Makarov (1960). Fit and finish is excellent when compared to the Bakal Makarov that I recently sold.
I find my East German makarov at 21' is the most accurate handgun in my stash of Glock, SIG, RIA and Ruger.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

+1 with gwbiker, great guns.
GR
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

+1 with gwbiker, great guns.
GR
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

With the recent departure of my '73 P-64 (sold at weekend gun show), my 1960 K100 (GDR) Makarov 8+1, with Pearce rubber grip, has now become my primary OC piece for daily carry in Tucson. It's not a safe queen, but a sweet shooting handgun and worth a bit less than a SIG or Glock.

A Kahr P-380 hides in a Uncle Mike pocket carry holster.
bvd1

Post by bvd1 »

I also think the EG has the nicest finish. I own EG, Russian, Bulgarian and Chinese Makarovs. Don't know why, but I never have a problem reinstalling the slide on my EG Makarovs. I sometimes have a little trouble with some of the others. All have the original recoil springs.