PA 63 Question

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
waltham41

PA 63 Question

Post by waltham41 »

Just wanting to make sure.... the CZ82 and the P64 both have a hammerblock that keeps the weapons from AD's from strikes on the hammers with the safeties off and a round in the chamber..

The PA 63 Does NOT have this feature, correct?
Stingray

Re: PA 63 Question

Post by Stingray »

Correct, but it does have a hammer block that engages when the safety is on.

-S
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Thanks, I carry with one in the chamber and safety off, so that means the PA63 is not a good choice for me, since there is always that one in a million chance something could hit the hammer.

If I carry with safety off on every pistol and safety on with that one it could really cost me in a stressful environment.

Thanks again for confirming that for me.
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

As stated in the thread regarding the P64, the PA63 uses an inertia firing pin also.
Try putting a primed shell in the chamber and pull the trigger while slowly letting down the hammer. Keep the trigger pulled and tap the hammer with a plastic hammer or something equal. It won't go off because the firing pin isn't long enough to touch the hammer and primer at the same time.
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Ahhhhh, a ray of hope yet... I will have to look more into this, The PA 63 would make a great carry gun if I could feel safe with carrying it loaded and on fire.

Thanks for giving me food for thoght!
chimera

Post by chimera »

waltham41 wrote:Just wanting to make sure.... the CZ82 and the P64 both have a hammerblock that keeps the weapons from AD's from strikes on the hammers with the safeties off and a round in the chamber..

The PA 63 Does NOT have this feature, correct?
FEGs are safe to carry chamber loaded.
The firing pin on a PA-63 is lifted into position as the hammer is pulled.
If the trigger is not held back the firing pin cannot be struck by the hammer.
This is where FEGs and Walthers differ, the Walther has some sort of hammer block.
:?: Which is safer?
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

My big thing is as long as I know that there is a safety setup of some sort when on fire and one in the chamber.

You would be surprised how many places I posted this question and never got an answer, and I did not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber with a setup I was not sure about.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

The P-64, Makarov, PA-63 and other similar pistols all have rebounding hammers. That is the hammer is pulled back a slight distance away from the firing pin by the hammer spring when the hammer is at rest. Except for the FEG pistols a safety notch on the hammer then engages the sear, preventing full forward movement of the hammer until the trigger is pulled, which moves the sear out of contact with the safety notch on the hammer.

As previously stated here FEG uses a rotating firing pin which drops down and out of alignment with the hammer face until the trigger is pulled.

Rarest FEG: http://sunblest.net/gun/FegR78.htm
Made by Fegyver es Gazkeszulekgyar ('FEG'), Budapest, 1978-90(?)
Type: automatic pistol (blowback)
Chambering: 7.65mm Browning (.32acp)
Length overall: 5.47in (140mm)
Barrel: 2.83in (72mm) rifled
Weight unloaded: 15.9oz (450g)
Magazine: 6-round detachable box
Edited to add pic and text.
Last edited by pshootr on September 26th, 2010, 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Link wont open for me, but thank for you the information. Safety is a big issue with me.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I have no idea why the link won't open. It is located near Dallas, TX.
Will this work? http://tinyurl.com/33acawr
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

No, but I have satellite internet and that is probably the culprit
gloob

Post by gloob »

The PA-63 and the other similar FEG models are the SAFEST of the 9x18's to carry chambered. They are the only ones with a passive firing pin safety.

The other 9x18's have a hammer block safety. But the hammer isn't what ignites the primer, so a hammer block can't stop all AD's - e.g. gun dropped on muzzle.

Firing pin safety > hammer block safety > sear block safety > trigger block safety.